Question about gemstone descriptions

Gemsnob

Question about gemstone descriptions

Post by Gemsnob » 3 years ago

I have noticed a couple of gems described as "natural". The two I've seen are for Russian Diopside and Thai black spinel. What would be the reason for describing some stones as "natural" but not others? I have read comments on here and online that customers have found some of the gemstones from here were not genuine. Just wondering if this is true.
@Moderator_Alex
@Moderator_Preston
@modteam
6 x

JewelryQueen

Re: Question about gemstone descriptions

Post by JewelryQueen » 3 years ago

@Gemsnob

Ha ha. ALL Black Spinel and Russian Chrome Diopside are "natural" because they are not color enhanced or heat treated. They don't' need to be. It's a marketing gimick to make you think you're getting something "special". :roll:
8 x

Moderator_Preston
Answers: 1

Post by Moderator_Preston » 3 years ago

Gemsnob wrote:
3 years ago
I have noticed a couple of gems described as "natural". The two I've seen are for Russian Diopside and Thai black spinel. What would be the reason for describing some stones as "natural" but not others? I have read comments on here and online that customers have found some of the gemstones from here were not genuine. Just wondering if this is true.
@Moderator_Alex
@Moderator_Preston
@modteam
Good afternoon,

Thank you so much for your post. Our gemstones are naturally created unless they specified as "lab created" or "simulated". Some stones may go under certain enhancements which can alter the color and/or look of the gemstone. You can find our full list of enhancements at https://www.shoplc.com/education/gemsto ... ments-list. Thank you again for your post!
4 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 3 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
3 years ago
@Gemsnob

Ha ha. ALL Black Spinel and Russian Chrome Diopside are "natural" because they are not color enhanced or heat treated. They don't' need to be. It's a marketing gimick to make you think you're getting something "special". :roll:
I get that but 96% or more of all gems are treated in some way. They still come from the ground. We wouldn't have many gems otherwise. If they mean "untreated" then that's the correct term to use as collectors will pay more for say, sapphires with no treatment. I haven't seen natural used to describe garnets yet. They aren't treated either. Maybe it's just another inconsistency at slc.
5 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 3 years ago

@Gemsnob

Hee hee. Key word is "yet". Although a lot more people know that garnets are "natural" and "untreated" than the other two gemstones.
5 x

DoubleLshopper

Post by DoubleLshopper » 3 years ago

I got one of their "natural" opal necklaces. I am not sure but I don't think plastic beads or "natural" :roll: :roll:
5 x

Alexander

Post by Alexander » 3 years ago

Talking about opals... I have a tennis bracelet and a necklace which both over time turned yellow, brown and some turned a solid yellow. So upset and have had over 2 years way too old to returne. I put them in rice but they didn't go back to white.
Thank goodness I didn't give up totally because I got the most beautiful necklace that has stayed white with blue and green sparkles. I put this one in a prominent
place in my see through jewelry box and hid the other 2 at the back. I have now ordered 2 rectangular rings and iam praying they are white and stay that colour.

Is it possible that the ones that turn colour are low grade stones?
5 x

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » 3 years ago

Just read an article that said, the Opals may have been impregnated with some resin for stability of this gem, and resin will turn color when it gets older???? I have no idea if this is true.
5 x

fallnstar

Post by fallnstar » 3 years ago

Yes, it's true. I did some deep research on Opals and they r making some pretty good imitations.

There's a guy on YouTube that's working w a scientists & I learned a lot. I just wish these would disclose the truth.

There r ways to find out if, they're natural.

& Ethiopian Opals r untreated, usually.
5 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 3 years ago

I saw online that just because a stone says natural that does not mean untreated, they can use the term natural as in mined from the ground but not necessarily untreated. even it they are filled with glass ect.. if they are mined they can call them natural and it is deceiving in a way because people assume natural means untreated.
5 x