Question about gemstone descriptions

Gemsnob

Re: Question about gemstone descriptions

Post by Gemsnob » 3 years ago

Gem Lover wrote:
3 years ago
I saw online that just because a stone says natural that does not mean untreated, they can use the term natural as in mined from the ground but not necessarily untreated. even it they are filled with glass ect.. if they are mined they can call them natural and it is deceiving in a way because people assume natural means untreated.
That's exactly my point. If it's not lab created or synthetic, it's natural because it was mined from the earth. The proper term would be "untreated". I was hoping they were just using wrong term and not trying to be unethical and dishonest but I should know better by now.
5 x

Margui

Re: Question about gemstone descriptions

Post by Margui » 3 years ago

I think they need to put untreated in the description to certain gems like garnets, spinels and russian diopside when they are showing them. Also the clarity and how the cut was made. The sparkle of the gem depends of how well it has been cut. A gem with windows or poorly cut is not going to sparkle that well. About the rubies, why they have to hide Burmese “Ruby” is fissure-filled? To me those stones are composite, not longer natural like I mention before. Same with Jade which many pieces are bleached and dyed.
5 x