Question About Jewelry Box

DoubleLshopper

Question About Jewelry Box

Post by DoubleLshopper » 3 years ago

I bought 3 of the Large Handmade Jewelry Boxes and 5 of the Handmade Ring Jewelry Boxes from India. They smell (stink) of mold. Does anyone know how to get the moldy smell from the velvet lining of these boxes. I had them airing out for 4 days but that did nothing. Other than the smell, they are beautiful boxes. Thanks
6 x

Gemsnob

Re: Question About Jewelry Box

Post by Gemsnob » 3 years ago

You can try putting them in a sealed container with balled up newspaper. This is used on old books that have a musty smell. Also try a bowl of baking soda with it. If you can save the silica packs that come in medicine bottles and handbags, you can put these in each and store them that way. Depending on the fabric and what the boxes are made of, you can try Febreeze. I'd do several light sprays over several days so you don't saturate and stain or ruin. Hope one of these helps. Good luck.
6 x

Jacee

Post by Jacee » 3 years ago

A charcoal briquette is supposed to absorb odor.

Also, there IS ALWAYS " an answer'"....on the internet!
Good Luck.
Last edited by Jacee 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 3 years ago

Jacee wrote:
3 years ago
A charcoal briquette is supposed to absorb odor.

Also, their IS ALWAYS " an answer'"....on the internet!
Good Luck.
I didn't think about charcoal but you are right. Good one!
6 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 3 years ago

@DoubleLshopper

If you are a coffee drinker--try this. Take a coffee filter and put about three heaping table spoons of baking soda in the center. Do a continuous line of Elmer's (or a similar glue) around the outside edge. Use your finger or a disposable straw, etc. to spread it in a thinner layer. ( A glue stick works too if you have one.) Place another coffee filter on top and press together. Let dry. Put several of these packets in each box and close. Leave for at least 24 hours. You may have to repeat with fresh packets. This saves you from having to try and vacuum the baking powder out. Ladies-- you can also cut filters into small squares and make smaller packets like that. Put them in your boxes with your sterling silver that has no plating. It will take MUCH longer to tarnish if you do this. :) :)
9 x

Jacee

To follow up to JQ's suggestion...you could staple one filter together.
3 x

RoxiJade

Post by RoxiJade » 3 years ago

DoubleLshopper wrote:
3 years ago
I bought 3 of the Large Handmade Jewelry Boxes and 5 of the Handmade Ring Jewelry Boxes from India. They smell (stink) of mold. Does anyone know how to get the moldy smell from the velvet lining of these boxes. I had them airing out for 4 days but that did nothing. Other than the smell, they are beautiful boxes. Thanks
Yuck! Are you sure you want to keep them?
1 x

Angelflutter

Post by Angelflutter » 3 years ago

Have you tried fabric softener sheets ???
3 x

Jacee

Good one, Angelflutter ;)
2 x

DoubleLshopper

Post by DoubleLshopper » 3 years ago

Angelflutter wrote:
3 years ago
Have you tried fabric softener sheets ???
We did. What finally worked was for four days we took them outside and put them in the sunlight. Each day we misted the drawers and inside of the box with vinegar and left them outside all day. At night we would bring them in and put dryer sheets in them. After 4 days, no more smell.
5 x