Thursday's...

anniebelle

Re: Thursday's...

Post by anniebelle » 3 years ago

Ariana wrote:
3 years ago
This month they have showcased "Doris Day" and I've enjoyed watching. She is a favorite of mine because she could do it all. She was a great actress imo and she could act in dramas and comedies and she could dance and sing. I guess I like her too because she was a huge animal advocate which I respect so much.

Yes, I like the old Bond movies too.

I just watched "Gone With The Wind" again on TCM. The entire back-story on how "GWTW" was made is rich and complex and very interesting. It almost didn't happen for many reasons. It wasn't easy. For example, Clark Gable had zero interest in playing Rhett Butler and he was signed with another movie studio but he wouldn't even consider it. But the public made it clear that Mr. Gable HAD to be Rhett Butler. Well, Mr. Gable finally made the demand that if they paid his current wife a pile of money (can't remember how much) and a divorce - so he could then marry Carole Lombarde he was having an affair with, he would do the movie. They did it and so he was Rhett Butler.

There are many many many more near-misses for GWTW and its production.
You sure have the dish on Mr Gable! Do you research all movies in such a way? I"m not really big on old movies, but it's rare to find one today that interests me either. And I hate theaters too. I don't want any distractions while watching a movie, even at home!
3 x

DoubleLshopper

Post by DoubleLshopper » 3 years ago

Braveheart, Gladiator, Top Gun, Field of Dreams, Bagger Vance, etc
6 x

AD

Post by AD » 3 years ago

I like to watch ME TV. ......H😊
4 x

Ariana

Post by Ariana » 3 years ago

anniebelle wrote:
3 years ago
Ariana wrote:
3 years ago
This month they have showcased "Doris Day" and I've enjoyed watching. She is a favorite of mine because she could do it all. She was a great actress imo and she could act in dramas and comedies and she could dance and sing. I guess I like her too because she was a huge animal advocate which I respect so much.

Yes, I like the old Bond movies too.

I just watched "Gone With The Wind" again on TCM. The entire back-story on how "GWTW" was made is rich and complex and very interesting. It almost didn't happen for many reasons. It wasn't easy. For example, Clark Gable had zero interest in playing Rhett Butler and he was signed with another movie studio but he wouldn't even consider it. But the public made it clear that Mr. Gable HAD to be Rhett Butler. Well, Mr. Gable finally made the demand that if they paid his current wife a pile of money (can't remember how much) and a divorce - so he could then marry Carole Lombarde he was having an affair with, he would do the movie. They did it and so he was Rhett Butler.

There are many many many more near-misses for GWTW and its production.
You sure have the dish on Mr Gable! Do you research all movies in such a way? I"m not really big on old movies, but it's rare to find one today that interests me either. And I hate theaters too. I don't want any distractions while watching a movie, even at home!

Hi Anniebelle,

On the TCM channel, hosts will give you a lot of information about the film, actors, directors and anything interesting about the movie before and after the showing of the film including interviews. As far as me researching movies, I don''t. With "GWTW" - when it was shown a few weeks ago, there was an hour or two hour program about the making of GWTW and all the PROBLEMS of making it. It really almost didn't happen. From Margaret Mitchell writing the book and selling the rights to the movie (and afterward she didn't want to have anything to do with "that trash" in Hollywood lol), to the secretary of the studio who read the book and suggested it as a movie, to the studio gambling "everything" on it, to casting (it took two years and many starlets auditioning and salivating for the part of Scarlett O'Hara) but at the VERY LAST minute (literally) found when Vivien Leigh showed up at set to watch the burning "Atlanta" (an old western set) and was discovered for the part (she was English). It was the first full movie in technicolor (Wizard of Oz was the first but not full movie and released a few months before GWTW), and technicolor cameras were cumbersome. Other facts that almost made the movie a near miss from disaster. The program also detailed many scenes in the movie and how they did it. With all the problems, it paid off in the end.

I'm most interested in the early movies. I don't find films of late interesting enough to remember.

I will get angry watching old movies and seeing their prejudices and unkindness to others (race and class). For instance, I just watched "My Fair Lady" with Audry Hepburn - and it was so uncomfortable watching her character, a poor, uneducated, Eliza Doolittle, and these men betting if they could make her into a lady. They talked and treated her as if she were an animal. Made me mad! NOT my favorite movie. lol

I'm sure writing a lot today!
3 x

Jacee

Post by Jacee » 3 years ago

You ARE "really into it"..Ariana..it's interesting!
Thanks for sharing! ;)
4 x

Ariana

I'm a little lonely today I guess.

Thank you for your post to give me reason to escape for a bit!
3 x

Jacee

Post by Jacee » 3 years ago

I really appreciate good, well written posts.
YOU made" the day"! ;)
4 x

Ariana

Thanks Jacee, that is so nice of you.... (((heart)))

back to your movie...

Remember what "Big Daddy" said in "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof?"

"Big Daddy says, "Bull!" - said Elizabeth Taylor. :lol:

He also said, "There ain’t nothin’ more powerful than the odor of mendacity!"

OKay, I got that out of my system! I meant to write that earlier. lol ttyl!
Last edited by Ariana 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x

AD

Post by AD » 3 years ago

A:.....What do you do with Milo when watching a movie 🙀😿. :lol: .....H
3 x

Starbird

Post by Starbird » 3 years ago

"Titantic," "The Color Purple," and "Forrest Gump."
2 x