Re: Fragrances

Druid

Post by Druid » 2 years ago

Joy Baccarat pure perfume by Jean Patou limited edition at $1,800.00.is the most expensive The limited edition marvels up the original Joy that was created in 1930 and has been notoriously pricey. The keepsake Baccarat bottle is an added value to its floral content made up of 10,600 jasmine flowers and 28 dozens of roses per bottle.
5 x

anniebelle

Post by anniebelle » 2 years ago

AD wrote:
2 years ago
Not sure if Avon still exists 🙂. I want the real Tupperware!!!!
Yes, we have an Avon lady that brings books. And my bestie is a Tupperware lady!
4 x

anniebelle

Post by anniebelle » 2 years ago

Druid wrote:
2 years ago
Joy Baccarat pure perfume by Jean Patou limited edition at $1,800.00.is the most expensive The limited edition marvels up the original Joy that was created in 1930 and has been notoriously pricey. The keepsake Baccarat bottle is an added value to its floral content made up of 10,600 jasmine flowers and 28 dozens of roses per bottle.
Talk about a waste of money! Who counts the flowers? :roll:
2 x

lah2001

Post by lah2001 » 2 years ago

ElleTee wrote:
2 years ago
Amy wrote:
2 years ago
Hello ElleTee: I bought the Norell Blushing when it was first presented on SLC. I really love it. I wore Cashmere Mist by DKNY & White Linen most of my long life. So I’ll be sticking with the Norell for quite a while now. Gee I’ve never seen fragrance in auction, but that would be a good place to try something new. Lucky you. ☺️☺️☺️
I wonder if anyone here has tried Joy ? I see that SLC sells a 2 piece set for about $99. I remember as a kid (many years ago) seeing the slogan in fashion magazines that Jean Patou was the costliest perfume in the world. Not sure if it still is.
Well, nice chatting with you all today.
I've worn Joy on and off for a number of years. It's a high floral, so if you like very floral fragrances, it fits the bill. I like all kinds of perfumes. Orientals and chypres tend to be my favorites, though.

I recently snagged the Joy gift set with the vintage black bottle and the soap on the online auctions, for a great price.
5 x

Druid

Post by Druid » 2 years ago

@anniebelle At Grasse in France where all the famous or less famous perfumes are made in the world, they count the flowers and have the best “noses” in the world. I visited their perfume workshops that are like little factories several times: the flowers are picked up manually and the whole fabrication for making fragrances is fascinating: a real science and know- how. To become a “ nose “ a person needs some natural gift and a certain number of years to study chemistry and other subjects linked with the specialty.The training is very arduous, the exams are extremely difficult and the profession is one of dedication and sacrifices : the noses need to be very cautious and protective of their noses and everything that may affect their smell capabilities. They also have to respect their clients’ specific requirements when they make a fragrance. Maybe that ‘s why some of the perfumes bearing names of stars are not good... :lol:
7 x

Sissy2

Post by Sissy2 » 2 years ago

My sister makes her own scented lotions. She makes almost all of the essential oils she uses in them. I was shocked when she told me once it takes six pounds of lavender flowers to make once ounce of good lavender oil. Not the weak stuff sold many places but the good stuff. A friend of hers owns a lavender farm so that is her source for that. I was then floored when she told me the rose oil she makes takes around 500 roses for one ounce. This may sound ghoulish but she obtains her roses from the local funeral home. Many people have huge arrangements. And a lot of them. The relatives often leave all but a few small bouquets which the funeral home previously threw out. She further told me that her 500 rose oil is sufficient for her lotions but that when making perfume the pure rose oil they use can take ten times that many roses for one ounce. Of course when crafting a perfume they only use a few drops of this. That is good thing because it costs in excess of $100 an ounce! No. I am not kidding. The only reason I remember this is because I made her repeat it a couple of times as I thought I was hearing things. She likes to talk so she told me a lot of other things but these were the two that stuck.
9 x

AD

Post by AD » 2 years ago

Wow!!! That’s a lot of flowers h😊
5 x