Tanzanite warning!!

Dragonfly

Re: Tanzanite warning!!

Post by Dragonfly » 2 years ago

I always tell my clients to get more than one appraisal for their gold (including nuggets, bars etc.) and any other collectable or valuable item. There are many reputable people out there but there are a greater amount of those who will take advantage of naive sellers. I have had good appraisals on my tanzanite jewelry and stones. Like anything--you have to find the right buyer. Some are not educated enough to value what you have fairly. Some are hoping you are stupid enough to sell them cheap.
If you talk to estate planners and attorneys, you will find out that many times our precious items are sold for far less than they are worth or that we think they are worth. There are vampires that go to the estate sales hoping to get a bargain and they buy things sometimes beating up the seller for a price that is far below what the item is worth. They walk away proud of themselves and brag about their conquest. There are families behind these goods and if it is a third party selling the objects they do not have the same incentive to get a good price--their goal is to move it and clear the room as fast as possible. My advice is that if you want to sell your jewelry--do it when you have time to wait for a good deal and if you are going to use it to fund an inheritance, sell it before people know you are dead and gone. If it is truly precious to you--wear it lovingly and pass it to the person you want to have it BEFORE you die. When you are vulnerable in anyway you are not negotiating from a position of strength. ShopLc has some of the most beautiful Tanzanite you will find. I have wowed people with many an item I purchased from this company and am totally spoiled. I can't stand the unimaginative designs in the malls and I sure can't stand the prices.
I agree--try to sell it online where you have control. Be educated as to what you have and don't settle for somebody's song and dance. I have a collection of both tanzanite and sleeping beauty--stones as well as jewelry pieces. If this stuff wasn't worth it you would not have the Chinese andd Japanese buying up all the product and hoarding it so they can come back later when there is a scarcity and jack up the prices they will accept for the same items you thought were worth nothing.
1 x

buyitall

Post by buyitall » 2 years ago

You do not need to just take one appraiser’s opinion. Shop around….
7 x

GElliot

Post by GElliot » 2 years ago

D Flawless, it sounds like you have some stunning pieces! I kind of wonder if the general public just doesn't have general knowledge of different stones. They buy diamonds, sapphires, rubies and emeralds. I have read that Tanzy is treasured in some Asian countries but don't know if that's true.
7 x

lah2001

Post by lah2001 » 2 years ago

GElliot wrote:
2 years ago
D Flawless, it sounds like you have some stunning pieces! I kind of wonder if the general public just doesn't have general knowledge of different stones. They buy diamonds, sapphires, rubies and emeralds. I have read that Tanzy is treasured in some Asian countries but don't know if that's true.
I think you're right about the general public still not knowing much about tanzanite or other colored gemstones. I bet if you asked random people on the street in certain areas what tanzanite was, many would not be familiar with it. They would know what the Big Four were, though (diamonds, rubies, emeralds, sapphires).
4 x