Tanzanite warning!!

Lulu

Re: Tanzanite warning!!

Post by Lulu » 2 years ago

18kt and D-flawless? It seems to me your setting would be worth more than $1200. I wouldn't put any faith in what one jeweler tells you unless you know him personally and have known him for a long time. Get more opinions. And, get out of downtown LA - they have a lot of competition. Jewelers will typically offer 25% of what they think they can sell the item for because they have to carry the item until it sells.
13 x

GElliot

Post by GElliot » 2 years ago

The hosts are sales people. Nothing more. They work for a retailer and their job is to sell. Would you go to a car dealer and expect to be honestly educated on the cars hey sell? Would you do your research before hand so they cannot pull one over on you?
As far as the jeweler goes, were you getting advice or were you getting an appraisal? I suspect he was lowballing the value in hopes you would sell to him. It's unethical for any appraiser to offer to buy your jewelry. Just keep that in mind.
I buy jewelry I like. It's not necessarily for my kids someday. It's not for future value. If you wish to collect certain pieces or certain gems, do it because you like them, not because you think it's an investment. And never pretend any shopping host is your friend or family. That's to get you to trust them. Do your own research. It has to be ongoing research. Don't rely on others. Best of luck . 🤞
17 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 2 years ago

I would also question what he is saying, many times they will tell you your items are not worth anything just so you will sell them to them for nothing and they will take it and sell it for much more. I had this happen with an antique item, he said it was worth nothing but spent an hour trying to convince me to sell it to him, I finally said to him " for something that is not worth much you sure seem to want it really bad so that tells me it must be worth much more then what you are telling me so I am not selling it to you." I also agree with the other person who said the setting and diamonds are worth more then the price he is giving you for the whole ring so I would not trust this man at all!
17 x

AD

Post by AD » 2 years ago

Read on gem Ology in February of this year Tanzanite did go down in price, only because of the pandemic, and not to worry the price WILL GO BACK UP. ...H😊. ??
12 x

lah2001

Post by lah2001 » 2 years ago

D-Flawless wrote:
2 years ago
Colored stones are almost worthless when it comes to resale!
It depends on the colored stone! For example, a high quality Burmese ruby or Kashmir sapphire would be worth quite a bit on resale. However, a jeweler is probably not the person to sell it to, as they won't pay you what they can actually sell it for.
10 x

CB

Post by CB » 2 years ago

D-Flawless wrote:
2 years ago
Hey everyone! I just had a very unpleasant surprise regarding Tanzanite! If you’re buying it because you like it and enjoy wearing it…that’s perfect! But if you’re buying it thinking it’s worth anything and even worse…you believe all the crap about how it’s increasing in price or demand…then let me enlighten you! I spent over 2 hours with a top Jeweler here in Los Angeles this afternoon because I was considering selling a couple of pieces of jewelry…boy did I get a RUDE AWAKENING regarding Tanzanite! I have a 10 carat 4A Tanzanite ring surrounded by 1.5 carats of D-flawless Diamonds set in 18k white gold. I paid $9,000 for it 11 years ago when gold was cheap. Well guess what I found out today? It’s only worth a measly $1,200! What a massive letdown! I was told there’s NO MARKET for Tanzanite so the price for it is extremely low! No one wants to buy it! Needless to say I won’t be selling mine! He told me good quality graded Diamonds (D-flawless of E-F only!!) are worth anything. Colored stones are almost worthless when it comes to resale! I never buy my jewelry with the intent to resell it…I was just wondering what a few top pieces were worth…just in case! Soooo beware Ladies! Only buy items as wearable art and you’ll be fine. Sad…but true!!
I had something very similar happen to me. In the early 2000s I bought some very large tanzanite rings from the J channel. Most are set in 18K gold and most with almost a carat of diamonds (they used to have a vendor - his name was Frank (can't remember his last name!) - he had gorgeous jewelry). In the fall of 2019 (pre-pandemic) I went to a very reputable jewelry store that I have done business with in the past. The gentleman I usually deal with is GIA certified -- very nice and very knowledgeable. I was considering selling some of my rings because I just want to pay some bills off and be in a better financial position. I went to the jeweler on a weekday afternoon so it wouldn't be busy. He louped my rings, commented on the quality of the stones, the cut, the diamonds - said they were all exceptional BUT tanzanite just doesn't sell well. I went in to the rarity, the mine closing (you would have thought I worked for shoplc). He said he personally loves tanzanite and he knows all about the gem -- but he said it just doesn't sell. He showed me a very small corner of a display case that had maybe 4 or 5 rings and maybe a tanzy pendant -- they were beautiful -- but he said that they had just been sitting there for ages. He offered to buy the settings, but I just didn't want to go that route. He said that his biggest sellers are diamonds (good quality white diamonds) and yellow and pink diamonds (not irradiated). He said champagne diamonds just don't sell well either - people think they're 'dirty' diamonds. The other big sellers are blue sapphires, emeralds and rubies. The semi-precious stones that sell well are amethyst -- all shades, sky blue topaz and there is usually some interest in citrine. I think the long and short of it was -- he has to sell and carry what his customers want.
I then went to another reputable jeweler who sells a lot of unusual jewelry and really gorgeous vintage pieces. I showed her the tanzanite rings, she said they were beautiful -- but tanzanite just doesn't sell. She didn't even make an offer.
Maybe the pendulum will swing the other way and there will be interest in tanzanite again at some point but for some reason - now just doesn't seem to be the moment.
11 x

D-Flawless

Post by D-Flawless » 2 years ago

AD wrote:
2 years ago
OH :x corn dogs
LMAO! Corn dogs are probably worth more than Tanzanite because there’s a wider market demand for them! 🤣🤣🤣
6 x

D-Flawless

Rolltide wrote:
2 years ago
Seems to me like it should be worth more than 1,200.00, as well. Sometimes it doesn't matter what jewelry is worth, but rather what someone is willing to pay for it at any given time, and the economy can certainly play into it. If you want an investment, I would talk to an investment banker and put the 1,000.00, or whatever amount you have to invest, into an investment that will yield returns. I would never buy jewelry intending on making money off of it for the long haul. Good luck D, hope you do well with selling the tanzy if that's what you decide to do.
Yes! Jewelry is an emotional purchase. For me, it’s been my hobby for 40 years and I almost went to the GIA to become a Graduate Gemologist! But I decided to go back for my Master’s Degree instead. I never buy jewelry as an investment…it’s simply “wearable art” for me…I just love it and enjoy wearing it. I was just wondering what my Tanzy ring was worth as I could use an influx of cash at the moment. It was appraised at $40,000 years ago but I’ve always known that the true value of ANYTHING is simply what a buyer is ready and willing to pay for it in that particular moment in time! Appraisals are primarily for insurance purposes. I’m not going to sell either of the rings I had this guy give me prices on. The other was a Diamond ring…a ginormous one…6 total carats…not one large stone though…that would be crazy expensive! 😱 set in 18 grams of 18k White Gold! He said that was only worth $1,200 as well! Needless to say I will be keeping them both!
10 x

D-Flawless

mpompadour wrote:
2 years ago
D-Flawless wrote:
2 years ago
Hey everyone! I just had a very unpleasant surprise regarding Tanzanite! If you’re buying it because you like it and enjoy wearing it…that’s perfect! But if you’re buying it thinking it’s worth anything and even worse…you believe all the crap about how it’s increasing in price or demand…then let me enlighten you! I spent over 2 hours with a top Jeweler here in Los Angeles this afternoon because I was considering selling a couple of pieces of jewelry…boy did I get a RUDE AWAKENING regarding Tanzanite! I have a 10 carat 4A Tanzanite ring surrounded by 1.5 carats of D-flawless Diamonds set in 18k white gold. I paid $9,000 for it 11 years ago when gold was cheap. Well guess what I found out today? It’s only worth a measly $1,200! What a massive letdown! I was told there’s NO MARKET for Tanzanite so the price for it is extremely low! No one wants to buy it! Needless to say I won’t be selling mine! He told me good quality graded Diamonds (D-flawless of E-F only!!) are worth anything. Colored stones are almost worthless when it comes to resale! I never buy my jewelry with the intent to resell it…I was just wondering what a few top pieces were worth…just in case! Soooo beware Ladies! Only buy items as wearable art and you’ll be fine. Sad…but true!!
Hi D-Flawless, I'm just so sorry you found out such disappointing news. But on the bright side, you have had it a long time and enjoyed it, so just keep on wearing and enjoying it. From the sound of it, I'm sure it' a gorgeous piece! :)
Hi! Yes…it’s true! It is a stunning piece…super deep saturated color with gorgeous flashes of red pleochroism! I never intended to sell it when I had it made 12 years ago, I was just curious as to it’s worth and if the number was closer to the $40,000 it was appraised for I would have sold it as a down payment on a mid-engine Corvette convertible! 🤣🤣🤣 But….NOPE! So I’ll just keep wearing it and enjoying it and I’ll keep my Camaro too!! 🤣 No Vette for me…😢
9 x

Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly » 2 years ago

I always tell my clients to get more than one appraisal for their gold (including nuggets, bars etc.) and any other collectable or valuable item. There are many reputable people out there but there are a greater amount of those who will take advantage of naive sellers. I have had good appraisals on my tanzanite jewelry and stones. Like anything--you have to find the right buyer. Some are not educated enough to value what you have fairly. Some are hoping you are stupid enough to sell them cheap.
If you talk to estate planners and attorneys, you will find out that many times our precious items are sold for far less than they are worth or that we think they are worth. There are vampires that go to the estate sales hoping to get a bargain and they buy things sometimes beating up the seller for a price that is far below what the item is worth. They walk away proud of themselves and brag about their conquest. There are families behind these goods and if it is a third party selling the objects they do not have the same incentive to get a good price--their goal is to move it and clear the room as fast as possible. My advice is that if you want to sell your jewelry--do it when you have time to wait for a good deal and if you are going to use it to fund an inheritance, sell it before people know you are dead and gone. If it is truly precious to you--wear it lovingly and pass it to the person you want to have it BEFORE you die. When you are vulnerable in anyway you are not negotiating from a position of strength. ShopLc has some of the most beautiful Tanzanite you will find. I have wowed people with many an item I purchased from this company and am totally spoiled. I can't stand the unimaginative designs in the malls and I sure can't stand the prices.
I agree--try to sell it online where you have control. Be educated as to what you have and don't settle for somebody's song and dance. I have a collection of both tanzanite and sleeping beauty--stones as well as jewelry pieces. If this stuff wasn't worth it you would not have the Chinese andd Japanese buying up all the product and hoarding it so they can come back later when there is a scarcity and jack up the prices they will accept for the same items you thought were worth nothing.
4 x