Help Moderator

Dragonfly

Help Moderator

Post by Dragonfly » 2 years ago

I have not been on here for awhile and sent a question to Danielle's email and did not get a response--is she no longer the Moderator? what I wanted to know is abut the classification of Rubies. If it says AAA and does NOT have FF on its description--does that mean it is not fissure filled? My daughter said ALL Niassa Rubies are fissured filled even if they say AAA and do not have the FF--True?
6 x

Gemini

Re: Help Moderator

Post by Gemini » 2 years ago

ALL niassa rubies are fracture filled even if the graphics dont indicate that. That's what their product NIASSA is...glass filled!! What they dont tell you.. is how much is an actual ruby and how much of the product is glass. From the few ruby rings I have bought here I would say that a great percentage of the ruby is glass. You arent going to get premium rubies for the prices they are selling them for.
8 x

Sissy2

Re: Help Moderator

Post by Sissy2 » 2 years ago

Dragonfly. You guys are keeping my sister quite busy. I guess it is good she has interests. She says AAA or AA DOES have to do with how many inclusions are in the stone and NOT whether it is fissure filled. AAA accounts for about one third of all rubies used in jewelry and covers the range from moderately to slightly included. 65+% of jewelry grade rubies are AA and are moderately to heavily included. Niassa gems come from a certain area in Mozambique and the quality varies just like all all mines. Bottom line if you are not paying at least $200 a carat for an AAA ruby set in jewelry you are not getting a natural non-fissure-filled ruby. She also wants me to let you know that if you have a ruby that shows bubbles in the stone under magnification it is fissure filled. Natural rubies simply do not contain gas bubbles. The bubbles are a by product of the lead glass being infused into the ruby. Does this help?
10 x