What to do with empty jewelry boxes?

Christy

What to do with empty jewelry boxes?

Post by Christy » 4 years ago

Does anyone have any craft ideas what to do with our little blue boxes that we get from our purchases? They are too cute to just toss. I would like a craft idea if anyone knows of some.
0 x

RS

Re: What to do with empty jewelry boxes?

Post by RS » 4 years ago

I gave mine to our local bead store. They also sell lots of artisan jewelry. They were very glad to receive them.

I don’t have a craft idea at the moment but if I think of one I will be sure to post.
2 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Okay...just a couple of ideas. The obvious being to decorate them and make them little trinket boxes. You could embellish them with beads. You can use either glue or double sided adhesive. Choose tiny beads (I even have these almost microscopic glass beads that you can just apply by rolling or pressing the object into them. Then use large beads as a focal point or to make a design.

You could paint them and use a heavy sealer like Mod Podge.

Or, make a Christmas tree out of them! Paint them green or white if you like. Get a round wooden or ceramic base and start by gluing them in a circle to the base. Face the points of the boxes to the outside of the circle.

Stagger the boxes when making the rows.

Then glue another, smaller layer of boxes on top of the first one.
Keep going making them smaller and smaller as you go, finally coming to an end at the top.

Choose something for a topper, either purchase a small star, make a bow or even an angel brooch!

I would decorate all the “tips” ( the points of the boxes) with something. Little charms, beads, tiny pine cones, THE LITTLE BOWS FROM THE BOXES! Those would be ornaments.

When done I would spray it with a clear (gloss, satin or matte) spray to help it last longer.
3 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

RS wrote:
4 years ago
Okay...just a couple of ideas. The obvious being to decorate them and make them little trinket boxes. You could embellish them with beads. You can use either glue or double sided adhesive. Choose tiny beads (I even have these almost microscopic glass beads that you can just apply by rolling or pressing the object into them. Then use large beads as a focal point or to make a design.

You could paint them and use a heavy sealer like Mod Podge.

Or, make a Christmas tree out of them! Paint them green or white if you like. Get a round wooden or ceramic base and start by gluing them in a circle to the base. Face the points of the boxes to the outside of the circle.

Stagger the boxes when making the rows.

Then glue another, smaller layer of boxes on top of the first one.
Keep going making them smaller and smaller as you go, finally coming to an end at the top.

Choose something for a topper, either purchase a small star, make a bow or even an angel brooch!

I would decorate all the “tips” ( the points of the boxes) with something. Little charms, beads, tiny pine cones, THE LITTLE BOWS FROM THE BOXES! Those would be ornaments.

When done I would spray it with a clear (gloss, satin or matte) spray to help it last longer.
What a super cute idea !!! 🥰
2 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Okay, another idea.

I don’t know if you have kids...or grandkids. But...

Remove the ribbon and bow from the box. Decorate. Maybe in this case paint it a base color and just put some simple dots around the top or anything else you want to paint. Or with beads like I said. Or even cover it with fabric. Get a small wooden bead and glue it to the lid as a handle. Maybe tie a thin satin ribbon bow around the “handle” if using for a girl. A nice ceramic bead, round, square or heart shaped would work too. Glue four small beads to each corner of the bottom of the box for feet.

Use it for a child’s tooth fairy box.
6 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

RS - you are a very creative lady !
3 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Gypsy wrote:
4 years ago
RS - you are a very creative lady !
🥰
2 x

Blossom

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

Yes hats off to you RS! Just thinking too, maybe use them as filler ornaments on your holiday tree (as is or decorated/painted to match your holiday color scheme)?? If giving small(ish) gifts, put a name on box for intended gift receiver & let each find their gift that's hanging on the tree!
7 x

LisaC2019

Post by LisaC2019 » 4 years ago

I am going to take them and fill with Hersey Kisses to give out to friends, family, and just anyone who needs a smile that day. You can be creative with your candy I just like the kisses because the wrappings come in different colors throughout the year. Because of the color of the box it does not matter which day you give out so they can be used year round.
7 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

And another....

Paint and decorate or not to your liking.

Get a wide long ribbon of your choice. Using ring boxes glue the bottom of each box to the ribbon with a bit of space in between.

Attach little Velcro dots to the inside of each lid and the part of the box where the lid touches. This way the lid will stay on when the box laden ribbon is hanging.

Fill each box with a piece of candy or some little trinket. Use it as an advent calendar for the holidays.

Decorate the entire thing as you please.

I would have a big fancy bow at the top with something in the center.
I would remove the bows and ribbon of the boxes and paint them in red, green and gold glitter paint.
I would put numbers on the tops of the lids. Painting, writing, wooden letters or even stickers.

Cut the tail of the ribbon into a nice angle and attach a hanger on the back of the bow.

I think maybe the last box would be a larger one, like a bracelet box. With a bigger treat!
5 x