Mods please reply re Masoala Sapphire

Lauren

Mods please reply re Masoala Sapphire

Post by Lauren » 4 years ago

Hi! I recently won this item at auction and I'm a bit confused. Both your gemstone enhancement list and the TV product presentation of this item says the stone is fissure filled and dyed..the host says live on air that the stone is NOT fissure filled. Could you tell me if it is a natural stone or if it is indeed FF/treated? Thank you. Link below -

https://www.shoplc.com/masoala-sapphire ... /p/3417914
1 x

Spooky

Re: Mods please reply re Masoala Sapphire

Post by Spooky » 4 years ago

All the masoala sapphire is dyed and
fracture filled
1 x

What-a-gem

Post by What-a-gem » 4 years ago

I am going to ask a question here. I don’t think it has ever been discussed.In in regards to fissure filled stones, is there a certain percentage that is the glass to real gem stone? For instance, 30% glass to 70% actual ruby? Just curious. Hope someone can maybe answer, don’t figure SLC has the answer. 8-)
2 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

@ What-a-gem There is no set amount that is filled, it depends on how many cracks each gemstone has, the more cracks the more glass and each gemstone is different.
2 x

Lauren

Spooky wrote:
4 years ago
All the masoala sapphire is dyed and
fracture filled
If you watch the tv presentation video in the link the host says it’s not FF
0 x

What-a-gem

Post by What-a-gem » 4 years ago

Gem lover, thank you for your response to my question regarding fissure filled gemstones.
Totally made sense. So now I am wondering, how much filling can they legally fill in, and still call it, ruby, sapphire,or whatever? :roll:
2 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Post by Vicky » 4 years ago

According to articles I read, there is no set amount of glass that could be added. This article claims its more and more glass they are finding. Also the addition of glass makes the stone bigger and less stabile, with no real resale value. The stones look really pretty so as long as you enjoy wearing it, thats ok. Just handle with extreme care, like you would handle pearls. What surprised me to learn is that a vast amount of Burmese Rubies are FF with glass or Resin.
The diamonds that were on this week on SLC might have been enhanced. I asked several hosts if they were enhanced, and my question was ignored, so I think I got my answer. Plus the diamond studs had a EGL cert. worthless. Im surprised that Cheryl even mentioned the EGL cert. She is a GIA graduate, and knows EGL certs are way overgraded. I bought diamond solitaires from SLC about 2 years ago. It had a EGL cert which graded it as a SI2. My jeweler said at best its a i2. Big difference. I returned them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Moderator_Stephanie

Post by Moderator_Stephanie » 4 years ago

To the best of our knowledge, masoala Sapphire undergoes fissure filling and diffusion treatments. Content will be updated to correct any errors that may be listed.
1 x

Lulu

Post by Lulu » 4 years ago

Diamonds that are called 'fancy' are natural colors. The term 'fancy' ensures they have not been treated to attain the color. If they're not called fancy, I would assume they were treated.
0 x

Lauren

Moderator_Stephanie wrote:
4 years ago
To the best of our knowledge, masoala Sapphire undergoes fissure filling and diffusion treatments. Content will be updated to correct any errors that may be listed.
Ah ok, glad I passed on purchasing it then. Please review the video in the listing...the host states it’s not fissure filled. That’s misinformation and I’m sure a number of customers purchased based on her statement thinking they bought a natural stone.
1 x