Today's TLV, it's pretty but..

Lacy

Today's TLV, it's pretty but..

Post by Lacy » 2 years ago

They almost got me. I have not ordered from live tv for a while. Then I saw the tanzanite ring. 49.99. Wow right. Then realized it is set with black rhodium over sterling. Which makes the stones look darker, a nice trick of color enhancement. That is why they show the rings with a black background not white. I'm glad I caught that. And didn't buy it. I have many tanzanite pieces from years ago from them when they were a better network. Not one is set in black rhodium. Not for me.

The only stones I like with black rhodium. black onyx, black spinel or black jade for instance. Just my thoughts. No judging anyone who likes the tanzanite TLV.

Happy shopping if you dare...
6 x

DiamondGoddess

Re: Today's TLV, it's pretty but..

Post by DiamondGoddess » 2 years ago

Lacy wrote:
2 years ago
They almost got me. I have not ordered from live tv for a while. Then I saw the tanzanite ring. 49.99. Wow right. Then realized it is set with black rhodium over sterling. Which makes the stones look darker, a nice trick of color enhancement. That is why they show the rings with a black background not white. I'm glad I caught that. And didn't buy it. I have many tanzanite pieces from years ago from them when they were a better network. Not one is set in black rhodium. Not for me.

The only stones I like with black rhodium. black onyx, black spinel or black jade for instance. Just my thoughts. No judging anyone who likes the tanzanite TLV.

I love to learn the sales tricks, thank you Lacy!

:D
5 x

HappiKalli

Post by HappiKalli » 2 years ago

They also use light filters that totally change the look of the jewelry. To tell what the jewelry really looks like pay attention to when they show it on the host which is often heavily enlarged but at least you can see the real color of the gemstones. Back in the day, Craig said that they would not use filters like the other shopping channels but I guess those days are gone.
5 x

DiamondGoddess

Post by DiamondGoddess » 2 years ago

HappiKalli wrote:
2 years ago
They also use light filters that totally change the look of the jewelry. To tell what the jewelry really looks like pay attention to when they show it on the host which is often heavily enlarged but at least you can see the real color of the gemstones. Back in the day, Craig said that they would not use filters like the other shopping channels but I guess those days are gone.
Yes!

They make jewelry look much bigger and more fabulous on the turntable.

Then when they show it on the host, it looks much smaller to me.

I was unaware they enlarge it on the host, too.
5 x

MaeWest1953

Post by MaeWest1953 » 1 year ago

Immediately I was able to see the filters and shenanigans that were being used because on the other shopping channels they are very good at presenting the items on a live human😁

This is one of the reasons many of us got frustrated when certain hosts would go on a talking spree😒
We don't want to see graphics with black backgrounds and lighting....Or on the turntable

The same goes for the clothing also....
By the time the camera shows an item in real time many things are SOLD OUT!!!
3 x

Catwoman48

Post by Catwoman48 » 1 year ago

DiamondGoddess wrote:
2 years ago
HappiKalli wrote:
2 years ago
Yes!

No kidding! Unless a ring is a real honker, 6 to 10 ctw and up, it always looks doll-sized on the host’s hand. All the hosts have very small hands, too. I have returned every single ring I have ordered so far. There is NEVER enough metal to support the amount of the gemstones. Why? More metal, charge more, maybe not so many returns. I take it out of the box, put it on my hand and it invariably looks like a child’s ring. And I do not have large hands. I am old and do have some arthritis that has made me go up a ring size, but I would say I have average-sized hands, size 7 gloves.

Only exception: OMG, I just received a 7.25 ctw Iliana morganite cushion cut solitaire - no diamonds - set in rose gold that is GORGEOUS. It is more than I want to spend (what happened to all the coupons?), but I may not be able to return this one. Oh, my.
3 x

DiamondGoddess

Post by DiamondGoddess » 1 year ago

Catwoman48 wrote:
1 year ago
DiamondGoddess wrote:
2 years ago
HappiKalli wrote:
2 years ago
Yes!

No kidding! Unless a ring is a real honker, 6 to 10 ctw and up, it always looks doll-sized on the host’s hand. All the hosts have very small hands, too. I have returned every single ring I have ordered so far. There is NEVER enough metal to support the amount of the gemstones. Why? More metal, charge more, maybe not so many returns. I take it out of the box, put it on my hand and it invariably looks like a child’s ring. And I do not have large hands. I am old and do have some arthritis that has made me go up a ring size, but I would say I have average-sized hands, size 7 gloves.

Only exception: OMG, I just received a 7.25 ctw Iliana morganite cushion cut solitaire - no diamonds - set in rose gold that is GORGEOUS. It is more than I want to spend (what happened to all the coupons?), but I may not be able to return this one. Oh, my.
That Morganite ring sounds gorgeous!

I am glad I am hip to their tricks as I love large rings and hate being disappointed.

:D
3 x

FarmMom

Post by FarmMom » 1 year ago

Lacy wrote:
2 years ago

Ugh, don't get me STARTED on the tricks! I am a professional YouTuber and video editing is my career, so i KNOW what's possible with color enhancing. I mean, if the diamonds are suppoossed to be WHITE and they are BLUE, that's also a dead giveawy!

Also pay attention to the color of their outfits. often they change between sets, and especially with tanzanite will wear colors to match the stone. If on one shot, they shirt looks deep blue, and the next it looks light violet, well . . .

Also, how on EARTH are they able to snatch up (supoossedly) all the "best quality" AAAA (no such thing by the way, AAA is the top for any gemstone) tanzanite and have HUNDREDS of "perfectly cut, flawless" stones?

It would seem that there would be MORE Tanzanite floating around on store shelves if that much tanzanite were readily available. I don't disagree that their parent company might have a stake in one of the mines, but it's NOT the D-block mine they claim. And they DID claim they bought out this whole mine, which is privately owned by the way, and NOT by a shopping channel. The D block mine produces the best tanzanite out of all the mines with an electric blue color. I mentioned this in a product review once and it got them going on live TV how they bought the whole mine out, lol.

I guess I don't really understand, are there THAT many people out there who are fooled by their trickery?

Is their price fair? Sure. Is it the lowest possible for highest possible quality? HECK NO.

My husband actually bought $5,000 worth of Tanzanite stones and rings (our first purchase). So of course we marched to our local CERTIFIED GIA jeweler (the hosts also mentioned last night that there is NO such thing . . . seriously....). I didn't tell him what I paid, but his price estimation was slightly lower than what I paid, and when I showed him the appriasal sheet, he was shocked. he said no insurance company would EVER accept that estimate and I should send the stone and ring to be properly documented by the GIA institute.

As for the tanzanite, color was merely ok, but the CUT was TERRIBLE. Both stones were heavily chipped, and none of the cuts were symmetrical. Hence his LOWER price quote. The diamonds on the ring were broken too. It was a stunning ring, and to HAVE something like that made would have cost me MORE than buying it from shop LC. But what I bought was NOT close to investment grade.

ALSO,

Tanzanite needs to be over 5 carats to be really considered investment grade. I did end up getting a STUNNING Tanzanite stone online from a reptuable gem company. A 7 carat nice one for the SAME PRICE as the poorly cut 4 carat from shop LC.

But I do have to thank shop LC for introducing new stones to me, and forcing me to do heavy research on stones and what they REALLY are (Turkizite anyone? Pretty sure this is actually color changing glass as their info on it is FULLY FAKE. There is ONE mine in Turkey that produces Csarite and it's privately owned and ALL product is tracked and fully certified. THIS is the mine they claim to get "turkizite" from, which runs about $8,000 a carat (give or take).. look it up!)
3 x

DiamondGoddess

Post by DiamondGoddess » 1 year ago

FarmMom wrote:
1 year ago
Lacy wrote:
2 years ago

Ugh, don't get me STARTED on the tricks! I am a professional YouTuber and video editing is my career, so i KNOW what's possible with color enhancing. I mean, if the diamonds are suppoossed to be WHITE and they are BLUE, that's also a dead giveawy!

Also pay attention to the color of their outfits. often they change between sets, and especially with tanzanite will wear colors to match the stone. If on one shot, they shirt looks deep blue, and the next it looks light violet, well . . .

Also, how on EARTH are they able to snatch up (supoossedly) all the "best quality" AAAA (no such thing by the way, AAA is the top for any gemstone) tanzanite and have HUNDREDS of "perfectly cut, flawless" stones?

It would seem that there would be MORE Tanzanite floating around on store shelves if that much tanzanite were readily available. I don't disagree that their parent company might have a stake in one of the mines, but it's NOT the D-block mine they claim. And they DID claim they bought out this whole mine, which is privately owned by the way, and NOT by a shopping channel. The D block mine produces the best tanzanite out of all the mines with an electric blue color. I mentioned this in a product review once and it got them going on live TV how they bought the whole mine out, lol.

I guess I don't really understand, are there THAT many people out there who are fooled by their trickery?

Is their price fair? Sure. Is it the lowest possible for highest possible quality? HECK NO.

My husband actually bought $5,000 worth of Tanzanite stones and rings (our first purchase). So of course we marched to our local CERTIFIED GIA jeweler (the hosts also mentioned last night that there is NO such thing . . . seriously....). I didn't tell him what I paid, but his price estimation was slightly lower than what I paid, and when I showed him the appriasal sheet, he was shocked. he said no insurance company would EVER accept that estimate and I should send the stone and ring to be properly documented by the GIA institute.

As for the tanzanite, color was merely ok, but the CUT was TERRIBLE. Both stones were heavily chipped, and none of the cuts were symmetrical. Hence his LOWER price quote. The diamonds on the ring were broken too. It was a stunning ring, and to HAVE something like that made would have cost me MORE than buying it from shop LC. But what I bought was NOT close to investment grade.

ALSO,

Tanzanite needs to be over 5 carats to be really considered investment grade. I did end up getting a STUNNING Tanzanite stone online from a reptuable gem company. A 7 carat nice one for the SAME PRICE as the poorly cut 4 carat from shop LC.

But I do have to thank shop LC for introducing new stones to me, and forcing me to do heavy research on stones and what they REALLY are (Turkizite anyone? Pretty sure this is actually color changing glass as their info on it is FULLY FAKE. There is ONE mine in Turkey that produces Csarite and it's privately owned and ALL product is tracked and fully certified. THIS is the mine they claim to get "turkizite" from, which runs about $8,000 a carat (give or take).. look it up!)
Wow, thanks for the info!
1 x

Catwoman48

Post by Catwoman48 » 1 year ago

FarmMom wrote:
1 year ago
Lacy wrote:
2 years ago

ALSO,

I don’t know what to say! I have only succumbed to the Tanzanite siren song a couple of times. Neither the ring nor the stud earrings had the color saturation I was expecting, and the ring was very small in person. Returned them both and have watched a lot of Tanzanite being sold on ShopLC since, but have made no further purchases. I have seen Tanzanite at the Smithsonian, and this wasn’t it.

I became interested in Tanzanite in the 90’s, on TV. Wish I could remember the family name of the two brothers from NYC who introduced it on ShopAtHome…..nice designs, recall the color being nice, too. Couldn’t afford at the time. It is my recollection that the D block flooded out about 2000, maybe earlier, and was CLOSED, no further mining ever being allowed. Tell me I’m wrong….Now it is possible a lot of D block rough was bought up and hoarded at the time. However, the sheer amount of very large stones constantly being hawked on ShopLC always makes me say “Really???” There can’t be that much D block Tanzanite still on the market, especially at “bargain” prices like we are seeing. Something is fishy.

I did order the Asscher cut turkizite stud earrings last month. I found them to be totally without color of any kind and immediately returned them. They looked nothing like they did on TV, in any kind of light. Won’t fall for that again. I know what you mean about the color swatches, but observing Tanzanite or any other gemstone on TV as the host moves around and displays it from different angles will usually show its true color. And that doesn’t even speak to crappy cutting. I wouldn’t give you two cents for any of the GIA certificates. Pure fiction. That includes the one that came with the Morganite ring mentioned above I am still swooning over. Don’t care, I just may not have the fortitude to send that ring back. :shock:
1 x