Python, just no

Catwoman48

Python, just no

Post by Catwoman48 » 1 year ago

Am I the only one who is bothered that ShopLC is selling handbags and other items made from GENUINE PYTHON? Not python-textured leather(a by-product), but actual snakeskin. I haven’t been shopping on the network for that long, so I don’t know if this is something they have been marketing for years.

It certainly bothers ME that reptiles are killed in horrific ways for their skins. Yes, alligators, too. There is no excuse in the 21st century for ANY animal or reptile to be killed for their skins. Faux fur is one of the greatest inventions ever! And the snakeskin-textured handbags are really nice; I own two. I do not wear real fur of any kind, and don’t understand why some women persist in this day and age, when we are supposed to be enlightened and empathetic to all species.

Just my opinion, and I would be interested to hear your thoughts. I am seriously considering whether I want to continue giving my money to a retailer that is so backwards in its practices. :cry:
6 x

CaribbeanGirl

Re: Python, just no

Post by CaribbeanGirl » 1 year ago

Catwoman48, I am sooo with you on that, It is kind of funny, about 6 hours ago I posted a reply about how Steve is such a big talker now, how when he first started with the network he was a breath of fresh air, & now he is a member of the motor mouth club. But I also wrote how tired I was of seeing all this snake , elephant, tiger, zebra & so on print on kaftans & purses. So we are thinking alike. I do not have a friend or a female family member that like likes it either. I stream tv so I am able to watch the sister channel in England & I do not think I have ever seen any animal print anything on there.They have more sized clothing also, not so much one size fits all. I want girly looking clothing with floral or paisley designs. I do not want to wear a snake or alligator. I am happy there is someone out there that dislikes those prints also. I think they get a really good deal on stuff like that because they keep pushing & pushing it at us. I will NEVER budge. I think the hosts can program some customers into believing that they love the item & they need the item, some are better than others but they all can do it. I got on the web site of the sister channel today & I could not believe what I was seeing. They have at least 200 PAIRS of sandals to shoes from, cute spring pastel purses, one day they had a special of 200 flower bulbs & pots it was either e9.99 or e19.99, I can not remember which one. So many normal priced items. I have really come to believe that if you put it out there no matter what the price, the Americans will buy it. Dont get me wrong I was born here in the states, I am a American, I was born in the burbs of Chicago & have lived that past 45 yrs. in Tn. But I spend my money differently, yes I buy things from home shopping net works, but not for 100s of dollars. It is also useable items, not just to look at or. But I will flaunt a good deal on a pretty top for spring if Shop LC had one for sale. (NOPE) As I told a poster earlier once I get started it is hard for me to stop, & I wish we could buy products from the sister channel in England
2 x

Catwoman48

I have no problem at all with snakeskin or other animal PRINTS. Yes, ShopLC is kind of heavy on them, I think because of the underlying Indian culture. That is why you won’t see caftans in 100% cotton: people in India can’t afford them, so they stick with manufacturing synthetics that sell everywhere. And you will see lots of elephants and giraffes on fabrics and flowers indigenous to that part of the world.

My aversion to the sale of python and other animal/reptile skins is purely a moral one, not aesthetic. I love the look of animal prints on my clothing (since the 1970’s!), but would never wear the skin of a REAL animal that had to die to make my garment. Why would I need to carry a GENUINE PYTHON bag when the python printed leather bags are so nice? And a snake that is an essential part of the ecosystem and doing no harm doesn’t deserve to be cruelly hunted and killed so a woman can carry it on her arm. This is the same argument, by the way, that has been made by the anti-fur contingent for many years. Yet we are still seeing exotic furs on the runway. Sad.
3 x

sunnygold

Post by sunnygold » 1 year ago

As a native Floridian, I have matured in years to see the Everglades overrun by pythons. They need to be eradicated and if their skins can be utilized, that is a good thing. Pythons have severely upset the natural balance of the Everglades, perhaps forever if they are not controlled. The are destroying natural species.

Alligators, once endangered, now make lake swimming nearly impossible, and I grew up swimming in central FL lakes. Now one must be squeamish and extra cautious if we even walk near a shallow pond. It is that bad. My late husband and I were avid canoers on FL rivers. Where once we could take a dip, became views of piles, yes piles of massive alligators hugging the riverbanks.
10 x

Lulu

Post by Lulu » 1 year ago

Catwoman48 wrote:
1 year ago
Am I the only one who is bothered that ShopLC is selling handbags and other items made from GENUINE PYTHON? Not python-textured leather(a by-product), but actual snakeskin. I haven’t been shopping on the network for that long, so I don’t know if this is something they have been marketing for years.

It certainly bothers ME that reptiles are killed in horrific ways for their skins. Yes, alligators, too. There is no excuse in the 21st century for ANY animal or reptile to be killed for their skins. Faux fur is one of the greatest inventions ever! And the snakeskin-textured handbags are really nice; I own two. I do not wear real fur of any kind, and don’t understand why some women persist in this day and age, when we are supposed to be enlightened and empathetic to all species.

Just my opinion, and I would be interested to hear your thoughts. I am seriously considering whether I want to continue giving my money to a retailer that is so backwards in its practices. :cry:
Am I correct in assuming you are vegan and do not wear any leather products including foot wear?
3 x

sunnygold

Post by sunnygold » 1 year ago

I am just almost speechless on the topic that all animal life is sacred, above human life in some instances. We humans are the caretakers of animals and nature. That calls for culling and or utilizing animals for food, raiment, etc. Today's sensibilities include keeping a balance of nature. Thank God for people who find this a calling.
4 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 1 year ago

In my opinion, I won’t blame the pythons. These animals don’t know that the territory they invade is not their natural habitat. But we humans, know. Blame the mafia of the illegal pet trade. They are the ones responsible for the destruction of habitats like the Everglades.
The authorities don’t do nothing to stop the selling of wildlife as pets. Pythons belong in the wild, in their natural habitat, not own by any people who realized they can’t take care of an animal that size and dump it into an strange place.
3 x

Catwoman48

sunnygold wrote:
1 year ago
As a native Floridian, I have matured in years to see the Everglades overrun by pythons. They need to be eradicated and if their skins can be utilized, that is a good thing. Pythons have severely upset the natural balance of the Everglades, perhaps forever if they are not controlled. The are destroying natural species.

Alligators, once endangered, now make lake swimming nearly impossible, and I grew up swimming in central FL lakes. Now one must be squeamish and extra cautious if we even walk near a shallow pond. It is that bad. My late husband and I were avid canoers on FL rivers. Where once we could take a dip, became views of piles, yes piles of massive alligators hugging the riverbanks.
I hear what you are saying, sunnygold. I haven’t spent any time in Florida in recent years, but I know the Everglades are beset by all kinds of wildlife problems. And I know alligators are a problem even at WDW. I recall a tourist being killed in recent years. What is the answer? Hunt them all down in their native habitat and kill them? Isn’t the Everglades a massive area with places for relocation vs. killing? Or does man want to take over the whole state for his pleasure and force all the native wildlife out?

I don’t know what the answer is to the overpopulation issue. We are having a problem in Northern California with overpopulation of deer and Canada geese. There are calls for culling the herds, mass murder, but there must be a better solution. I really have a problem with men going into these areas and wholesale slaughtering pythons and alligators in the most horrific ways, for profit. There must be a better solution, but apparently no one is looking for it. I could not enjoy carrying a handbag that had that kind of behavior attached to it, and I know others feel the same. And I think SLC profiting off that trade is repugnant. Not connecting SLC to the ILLEGAL exotic animal/reptile trade, which is a whole other even more repugnant issue. Just my opinion; I am not asking everyone to agree.
2 x

FritzieBlue

Post by FritzieBlue » 1 year ago

With you on this completely, Catwoman48, there is absolutely no need to harm animals for apparel, handbags, and accessories. So much beautiful faux leather and fur is available these days that it is very easy to avoid the real. Animals should not be thought of as problems or pests, they are our fellow creatures sharing our world and man should be clever and imaginative enough to co-exist with them all. Thank you and bless you for being a voice for the voiceless.
5 x

Catwoman48

FritzieBlue wrote:
1 year ago
With you on this completely, Catwoman48, there is absolutely no need to harm animals for apparel, handbags, and accessories. So much beautiful faux leather and fur is available these days that it is very easy to avoid the real. Animals should not be thought of as problems or pests, they are our fellow creatures sharing our world and man should be clever and imaginative enough to co-exist with them all. Thank you and bless you for being a voice for the voiceless.
How sweet, and thank YOU for expressing so elegantly what I was trying to say. 👼
1 x