Your Suprising ShopLC Purchases

lckid

Your Suprising ShopLC Purchases

Post by lckid » 1 year ago

What is the most suprising ShopLC purchase that you ever had? Meaning it could be things like a gemstone you bought that suddenly increase in value, or has become rare that you can never buy it anywhere anymore? Or maybe a moment in time where you didn't buy something but you wish you had because it blew up in value?

For me, I bought a one stone diamond for a couple of hundreds and was told by jeweler that is eye clean and flawless and now if I am buying it, it will be gazillion dollars it seems like..

Also, I remember there is exactly one taffeite ring that they sold and it was the top priced item. I wish I had money then!
4 x

FarmMom

Re: Your Suprising ShopLC Purchases

Post by FarmMom » 1 year ago

What was the price the jeweler quotes you? Seems odd. Certainly a mistake on their end.

All the diamond items I've bought were mostly trash. Side diamonds that were included and broken, full diamond rings that were so included they were foggy (but it was a cheap diamond ring, so I expected that).

And definitely the Tanzanite was a mistake. WAY overpriced.

The ONLY thing I was told by a jeweler that was surprising was the platinum ring price, it was lower than anything he could produce even AT COST.

It was a stunning tanzanite and diamond platinum ring, and was and will be the most expensive item we ever bought. Problem was, the hosts promisd you could size it up or down by 2 sizes . . . Lie. You cannot. Platinum is very hard to resize at all, and even if it had been gold the style made it impossible to resize. So back it went.

With that said, I HAVE done a good amount of research on rings and most of the rings if you get them cheap enough, are so cheap you can't even get a mount for that price, let alone a mount set WITH the stone.

As far as something being BETTER quality than what they say? No. It's either decent quality or worse quality. And always take it to a GIA certified jeweler (most are not) because they have a better understanding of value.

I brought my Shop LC loose tanzanite (4ct) in to the local shop and the guy was awestruck. He looked at the certificate they had sent and said it was worth at least that, but to take my ring to a GIA jeweler who could craft a platinum band for it.

The GIA jeweler looked at everything including the certificate from "AGI" and laughed. he quoted me a value then asked what I paid. I paid $100 more than he quoted, and I had only gotten MY price through a website error. The ring he said I had gotten a good buy on though. but it still was not worth what the certificate claimed. he said I needed to send it off to the real GIA lab in NY to have it assessed for insurance value.

Both tanzanite were BADLY CUT. I saw it on the scope. Now I know how to spot bad stones :)
0 x

lckid

Re: Your Suprising ShopLC Purchases

Post by lckid » 1 year ago

I didn't ask for the price quote on the diamond. I bought the diamond when the channel was still The Jewelry Channel (its from long time ago)... The quality was good then. It was a carat ring (which I rarely see on the website nowadays) and I got it at a great discount in one of those crazy clearance and extra 40 percent off deals. I think I paid 700... And the jeweler just looked at it and said it is flawless. Of course, it's hard to get those now without paying too much.

Other good things I bought here are 100 carat larimar bracelet (lots of silver in it), multi carat jade necklace (i know they are not natural) but still i dont see them making any more big jade carats now,

The one I got disappointed though is the 2 carat alexandrite stones. They are milky at best. I am saving up for the 1 carat and more one stone Alexandrite.

It looks like your purchases are both hit and a miss. I also ordered tanzanite but had to return them because I really wanted alexandrite but i didnt buy anything yet...I remember when they keep saying tanzanite supply is going down and yet two years in, they have lots of tanzanite
2 x