Moissanite

yabado

Moissanite

Post by yabado » 1 year ago

anyone know what company they get their moissanite from?
1 x

MaeWest1953

Re: Moissanite

Post by MaeWest1953 » 1 year ago

yabado wrote:
1 year ago
Hello, I don't know much about this stone but I was going to start a thread asking if anyone here has ever purchased any....just curious if the brilliance is the same as a real diamond
0 x

FarmMom

Post by FarmMom » 1 year ago

ok ladies, lemme give ya the SMACKDOWN on moissonitte!

Back in 2012, my fiance and I were thinking about rings. I didn't want a diamond, I wanted something different. he had heard about Moissonitte, so we visited our local jeweler to see for ourselves. She only had a few pieces but we could see how well it sparkled. She told us to simply buy direct online, so we did.

We bought a genuine Charles and covard ring, sold through moissonitte.co in 14K gold with 3 large stones and side diamonds for $2800. It had a baby pink center stone.

I have ZERO complaints. It's like a nebula exploding on my finger when the sun hits it. Plus being a silicone molecule it STAYS CLEAN (which is great on a farm, although I rarely wear it after I threw some hay to the horses and my ring went with it . . .).

BUT . . . . things to know . . .

PINK moissonitte along with a few other colors, are PAINTED. Yeah, much to my horror, my expensive stone is a "fake". Some of the colors are genuine, like diamonds they are super heated. But PINK has never been able to be done, so they PAINT pink along the top edge which causes the whole stone to turn pink. Charles n Covard no longer SELL pink because it cannot be given a lifetime warranty.

I only just now learned this, and swear i've got my receipt SOMEWHERE but of course I clean out the closet this summer and MAY have finally tossed the ring bag and receipt . . . I reached out to them but they gave no comment about a warranty on my ring . . .

SO, here is my advice:

ANY man-made stone (include LAB CREATED) is NOT worth spending big $$$ on, because WHO KNOWS what was done to obtain it and IF it will actually last.

DON'T GO HUGE WITH MOISSONITTE. I'm warning you . . . it's not like other stones. You WILL create a great deal of horror and anxiety with a giant moissonitte because it reflects SO MUCH LIGHT it will blind people. I'm not joking. My center stone is a 8mm with 2 side 6 mm stones, and THAT even blinds my husband sometimes.

My friends rave about how stunning my ring is, BUT any decent jeweler can SEE from across the room that it's NOT a diamond. Unless you are full dressed to impress looking like big money, it's going to be his first guess that its moissonitte seeing the radiance on your finger.

So, if you are LOOKING to fool people into thinking they are diamonds, best to go conservative with the size. Tennis bracelets are a good way to go as are earrings, but not giant pendants or rings, and a tennis necklace is going to be a bit suspicious . . .

I fully advocate for engagement rings though, especially considering it's so cheap now.

PS- you can buy loose stones for $20 . . . the knock offs are DIRT CHEAP, but the originals are still big $$$. Think Coach purses . .. real vs. fake. Fakes are cheaper, but no warrenty. At the end of the day, it's still just a purse ;)
1 x

FarmMom

yabado wrote:
1 year ago
From what I recall reading online, China has begun mass producing it, that's why you can find it so dirt cheap now... just check online at those well known bidding websites . . .
1 x

colljoe

Post by colljoe » 1 year ago

Heard Charles Winston family no longer has the exclusivity of Moissanite. I'm sure Charles isn't too happy but now it's out there with competition. That's why Shop LC was able to start selling. I don't know who they use or get from either. But, have bought and am VERY happy with each buy, especially when late night can sometimes have super deals. Sorry, but JTV just too expensive and it's the same thing. But, it's usually Charles' creation so that's why it's higher priced. I agree don't buy too big if you get a ring, but that's personal preference for sure. I prefer 3+ ctw on a ring. Necklace, just one stone about 3+ ctw is really pretty on and looks like a real diamond. Stunning! Yes, the sparkle is amazing and earring studs no less than 3 ctw really looks nice (which is 1.5 ctw each ear). Very well done on Shop LC and price is right.
I just recently got in on a deal they had for the Asscher cut set, ring approx 3.8 ctw and earrings about 2 ctw each ear. WOW! Amazing. It was a Doorbuster for the set at $79.99. They have specials all the time and I look all the time to see what they have. They even have some in their clearance section, The best is, you can get earrings as gifts (studs) at a great price for any of your family and friends. And yes, they really do look like diamonds, but a very high end diamond. They will think you spent hundreds and will not be disappointed. I say better than diamonds any day.
1 x

DiamondGirl65

Post by DiamondGirl65 » 1 year ago

Received a Moissanite set yesterday, vermeil yellow gold trilogy ring, trilogy pendant and stud earrings that look like 1 carat each. The set was a total of 6.20 carat for $79.00. Ordered when a size 5 was available. My wife compared this set to Moissanite purchased from JTV and the sparkle and light refraction is actually better! Now she will want more.
1 x

FarmMom

DiamondGirl65 wrote:
1 year ago
Received a Moissanite set yesterday, vermeil yellow gold trilogy ring, trilogy pendant and stud earrings that look like 1 carat each. The set was a total of 6.20 carat for $79.00. Ordered when a size 5 was available. My wife compared this set to Moissanite purchased from JTV and the sparkle and light refraction is actually better! Now she will want more.
I just got my husband's surprise ring in the mail today, a big aschur cut stone set in platinum. Compared it to my REAL Charles and Covard and there was NO competition. Eventhough my ring was TINY compared to the Shop LC stone, I STILL couldn't look at it under a pin light due to the massive sparkle effect. The Shop lC men's ring was just "meh". I paid $69 for it. Well worth the price. I would NOT buy it in gold for a higher price. The quality just isn't there.

When you see the real stuff, you'll realize the difference right off the bat. I'm just hoping my husband likes it enough to keep it :(

For example, think tanzanite . . . if you've ONLY ever seen pale purple Tanzanite, you'd think what you bought was stunning . . . until you met a true top grade stone and realized the difference . . .
0 x