Gold Vs. Gold Plat VS Vermeil -- You Need to KNOW

FarmMom

Gold Vs. Gold Plat VS Vermeil -- You Need to KNOW

Post by FarmMom » 1 year ago

Christee posted about her tragic experience with buying a gold chain recently and her absolute delight at buying a gold over sterling chain.

Besides cost, here are some things to think about with making a purchase:

"14K gold over sterling" --- It SOUNDS great, you get a thin layer of real gold electro plated to the sterling silver at pretty much next to nothing for cost. DOWNSIDE: it doesn't last. The gold layer is so thin it quickly rubs off with sweat and normal wearing. Best for items you only rarely plan to wear. (In fact I bought a ring and the 14K lasted 3 days before rubbing off... at least it was gradual so it's not too noticable to most people.)

"Gold Vermeil" ----- It sounds like cheap gold, right? WRONG. Vermeil is a DIFFERENT process in which 18K gold is actually used, and a THICKER LAYER applied to the sterling silver. It lasts much longer than normal 14k plating and has a much more yellow gold cast to it. But it too will eventually wear off with use.

"Gold Filled" -- Gold filled is actually 5% gold over another metal such as copper. Its more expesnive than the other two due the amount of gold used, but STILL FAR CHEAPER than real gold. Reports on this suggest that after a few months of non-stop use it too will wear off, so best not to treat it like real gold.

"Hollow Gold" --- REPUTABLE stores will list an item as hollow. Hollow gold is essentially a shell (much like the paperclip necklace Christee bought). It's FAR LESS EXPENSIVE than solid gold. It won't wear off or tarnish and can be wore 24/7 just like real gold because it IS real gold. It's lighter than solid but also easier to DAMAGE than solid, so care must be taken when deciding. MOST COMPANIES DISCLOSE if an item is hollow. Some (ahem) do NOT.

"SOLID GOLD" --- anything from 10K-24K it's gold from top to middle! Durable, heavy and full of luster. The most expensive gold you can wear. And of course, the various K ratings show how much GOLD is in the gold as it's always mixed with other metals to make it strong (except for 24K which is pure). Higher K ratings cost more because they are MORE PURE GOLD, but are also SOFTER and easier to crush/bend. Might not be a good idea to set a very precious gem into anything above 18K unless that item will very rarely be worn. prongs are so easy to catch, bend and drop the stone out.
The BEST 18K mounts I have seen, have 14K or platinum prongs to secure the stone safely.

So, there ya go. Shop accordingly friends!
3 x

christee

Re: Gold Vs. Gold Plat VS Vermeil -- You Need to KNOW

Post by christee » 1 year ago

Thanks for explaining!

I bought the gold over sterling chain for $11. Going with previous experience though: I had bought 2 gold over sterling paper clip chains from the J channel about a year ago and surprisingly they still look new even though I live in Florida (heat & humidity) and sometimes forgot to take off before showering. I use a soft cloth to clean them before placing back in the jewelry box.

Learned my lesson do not buy ION gold plated steel. Looks incredibly brassy and fake. Tossed it in the trash.

Nevertheless, I'd rather spend under $20 on gold over silver than $400 on a 10k bent and dented chain from ShopLC :D
3 x

Druid

Post by Druid » 1 year ago

@FarmMom Thank you for your info regarding the gold plated, gold filled items. I am curious to know what exactly means the shoplc statement”14 k vermeil gold yellow over sterling silver”. I made some research but nothing makes sense about this statement. Is this a vermeil plating, which means a combination of gold and silver? I also noticed their “ vermeil gold over sterling silver “ lasts longer than the jtv statement”gold over sterling silver “.
0 x

FarmMom

Post by FarmMom » 1 year ago

Druid wrote:
1 year ago
@FarmMom Thank you for your info regarding the gold plated, gold filled items. I am curious to know what exactly means the shoplc statement”14 k vermeil gold yellow over sterling silver”. I made some research but nothing makes sense about this statement. Is this a vermeil plating, which means a combination of gold and silver? I also noticed their “ vermeil gold over sterling silver “ lasts longer than the jtv statement”gold over sterling silver “.
From what I remember researching, by definition vermeil is supposed to be 18K . . . but looking up more articles today, there seems to be a bit of variance.
https://cadcamnyc.com/blogs/our-blog/ve ... -is-better

https://thepirateandthegypsy.com/blogs/ ... solid-gold

So in a nutshell, yes it could be vermeil in 14K. I think 18K is the preference as it lends a better sheen over the silver. So I'd assume a 14K vermeil would look more like 10K jewelry, and 18K vermeil would look more like 14 K jewelry . . .
0 x

Druid

Post by Druid » 1 year ago

@FarmMom Thank you for the references.I appreciate your jewelry knowledge.Best wishes.
0 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 1 year ago

Thank you for the explanation.
1 x

Janice-NH

Post by Janice-NH » 1 year ago

Great info! I did the same research before buying anything "gold over" and for the price vermeil was better than gold plated or ion plated, etc. I had a bracelet "recovered" with gold that was originally gold over. With that description you don't know what the actual composition of the coating is. Everyone who commented on how it wears off is right, it does wear off gradually and it still has "the look" of gold but very tired gold! I consider the price before buying vermeil or anything gold over.
1 x