Any Resellers or Stone Setters here?

Bella

Re: Any Resellers or Stone Setters here?

Post by Bella » 1 year ago

FarmMom… or anyone else know if Shop LC can track a person by their IP address? I wouldn’t think so, but I also wondered if just adding a new email address would not work because of this. I’m not tech savvy enough to know. If memory serves me right at the time when people were getting kicked off the forum this was brought up and discussed on the forum and one individual I believe “pulled it off” for awhile until either someone reported it or Shop LC got wise and poof they were gone. I too miss that whole bunch tremendously!
4 x

FarmMom

Post by FarmMom » 1 year ago

IP's have really come a long ways over the years. Thanks to so many ads tracking everything we do, we have also gained a few more freedoms, one being changeable IP addresses. Most computers default to a rotating IP address, but all computers on the same network will have a similar path since the router itself sets your base IP.

Yes you can ban Ip addresses, but it takes someone with some knowledge to be able to do it (aside from simple webpage coding), and even if they do ban one IP your computer happened to use one day, it (more often than not) will pick a new one the next day anyway. Now the tech guys could ban a whole "family" of Ip addresses, but the danger then is that OTHERS not related to the network may also inadvertently get banned. And as many people as they get visiting their site, that's a huge risk for them to take..

Years ago when I worked on our company's website, it was having issues getting hacked (it was designed and managed by teams in India, so I'm very familiar with their type of work). Hackers dont' always hack to spread viruses. Most hack to dump backdoor programs that run behind the scenes collecting data info. Both on the website (stealing CC info) and then onto your computer (stealing passwords and such). (The slowed speed of SLC lately could signify something has happened along those lines, actually . . .)

I ended up having to block the IP families entirely because there were too many to do individually. But our company operated with only 300 clients, so the likelihood of accidentally banning someone was pretty low, and none of the hackers IP were from the US, so I had that in my favor too :) But the tech teams had no idea how to ban IP so I went in and did it for them.

Of course things are different now, but I'm sure the same principle is used.

You COULD try "in private browsing" which blocks out all tracking cookies and could give you a back door in if you are banned (using a new account of course since your other one would likely be banned too, lol).

And then if nothing else, a visit to the library, lol!
3 x

Druid

Post by Druid » 1 year ago

FarmMom : thanks for your info about the oiled Ruby.It matched mine as I was also worried about the oil disappearing… I wonder about the emeralds that have been treated since eons with oiling. Thanks for all the info about the IP addresses.
William & Honey: I am so glad you are still here. I also participate less but often read the posts.Always appreciate the morning coffee.
To you all from the old group of friends, all the best.I miss you all….
3 x

Greeneyesbluesighs

Post by Greeneyesbluesighs » 1 year ago

FarmMom wrote:
1 year ago
IP's have really come a long ways over the years. Thanks to so many ads tracking everything we do, we have also gained a few more freedoms, one being changeable IP addresses. Most computers default to a rotating IP address, but all computers on the same network will have a similar path since the router itself sets your base IP.

Yes you can ban Ip addresses, but it takes someone with some knowledge to be able to do it (aside from simple webpage coding), and even if they do ban one IP your computer happened to use one day, it (more often than not) will pick a new one the next day anyway. Now the tech guys could ban a whole "family" of Ip addresses, but the danger then is that OTHERS not related to the network may also inadvertently get banned. And as many people as they get visiting their site, that's a huge risk for them to take..

Years ago when I worked on our company's website, it was having issues getting hacked (it was designed and managed by teams in India, so I'm very familiar with their type of work). Hackers dont' always hack to spread viruses. Most hack to dump backdoor programs that run behind the scenes collecting data info. Both on the website (stealing CC info) and then onto your computer (stealing passwords and such). (The slowed speed of SLC lately could signify something has happened along those lines, actually . . .)

I ended up having to block the IP families entirely because there were too many to do individually. But our company operated with only 300 clients, so the likelihood of accidentally banning someone was pretty low, and none of the hackers IP were from the US, so I had that in my favor too :) But the tech teams had no idea how to ban IP so I went in and did it for them.

You COULD try "in private browsing" which blocks out all tracking cookies and could give you a back door in if you are banned (using a new account of course since your other one would likely be banned too, lol).

Well howdy do!

I can tell you absolutely, unequivocally, without a doubt they can block IP addresses. But thank you for your insight, meaning I learned something today. It was quite helpful. Which is why I’m here able to say hi today!
Last edited by Greeneyesbluesighs 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Greeneyesbluesighs

honey wrote:
1 year ago
They should allow them ALL BAck now!!!! Alas ... They are all GONE --- Probably LONG Gone!
----RS JeweleryQueen GemLover GemSnob there were SO MANY
SO SO MANY!!!!!!!!!!! All Gone !
I haven't even seen Gypsy in MONTHS (Remember all the morning coffee!) Sad

Very Sad .........

Hi William, or as WE still call you 'Sweet William'!!
I can't speak for the one ... RS, however, I am able
to inform you, several others of us are alive and well,
no longer able to log on and comment here and I remain
scarce for the most part. We notice your comments.
Be not sad Sweet William!!

PS ... the one and only is still pouring hot coffees!! [ clink ]
So nice to know. All contact info was lost when all devices were stolen (long story). Been watching for a message on the blue horizon.
3 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 1 year ago

It’s not same since RS and other ladies like Jewelry Queen, Gypsy are gone.
4 x

FarmMom

Post by FarmMom » 1 year ago

Greeneyesbluesighs wrote:
1 year ago
FarmMom wrote:
1 year ago

Well howdy do!

I can tell you absolutely, unequivocally, without a doubt they can block IP addresses. But thank you for your insight, meaning I learned something today. It was quite helpful. Which is why I’m here able to say hi today!
Hello!

I will refrain from asking certain questions because it sounds like you have first hand experience ;)

BTW, is your name "greeneyes" on auction? If so, I often see you bidding on the same stuff, haha :D
1 x

Greeneyesbluesighs

FarmMom wrote:
1 year ago
Greeneyesbluesighs wrote:
1 year ago
FarmMom wrote:
1 year ago

Well howdy do!

Hello!

I will refrain from asking certain questions because it sounds like you have first hand experience ;)

BTW, is your name "greeneyes" on auction? If so, I often see you bidding on the same stuff, haha :D
👍🏼
And nope, not me. I don’t do the auctions. I did way back when I first found this shopping channel but have not for a long time now.
1 x