Any Resellers or Stone Setters here?

Druid

Re: Any Resellers or Stone Setters here?

Post by Druid » 1 year ago

@Bella You are right, it looks like a brainwashed forum…Always appreciate interesting posts though…
3 x

Druid

@FarmMom The different info about the treatment stopped me from buying the yellow sapphire I was referring to.I am very cautious when I see they indicate “none” for treatment.Also, their “zircons” in halo rings are in most cases cubic zirconia as I found out lookin up the same amethyst ring I wan on R A. It is also listed on eBay with cz instead of zircons, while on their website it says a zircons, treatment” none”. The cut is mentioned “ fair” on eBay, but no mention about the cut on their site. The price on both eBay and their site is over $100 but I won it at only $ 21. Another amethyst ring Bali legacy I won is mentioned as untreated on both sides,with a “ fair cut” and a price over $100 . I won it at only $18 and I am very suspicious about the quality.I did not yet received both rings, so I’ll see what I got later.I bought the Bali legacy amethyst ring because it said untreated even though I don’t like at all this brand.In terms of treatment I prefer “heated” and avoid diffused. They sell Indian rubies “oiled” on jtv, which is a very unusual treatment for rubies but common for emeralds.Reading about the “oil treatment “ for rubies does not make me purchase any, though I love rubies.I did not see this treatment for rubies mentioned on shoplc so far.
1 x

William

Post by William » 1 year ago

They should allow them ALL BAck now!!!! Alas ... They are all GONE --- Probably LONG Gone!
----RS JeweleryQueen GemLover GemSnob there were SO MANY
SO SO MANY!!!!!!!!!!! All Gone !
I haven't even seen Gypsy in MONTHS (Remember all the morning coffee!) Sad

Very Sad .........
6 x

colljoe

Post by colljoe » 1 year ago

SHILOH Whoa, OUCH! FarmMom has a lot of knowledge, experience, interest and opinion. And does great research. And said research that I am sure we all appreciate. We are all entitled to our opinions, as well as yours, but you were a bit harsh or shall I say, perhaps a bit jealous? FarmMom, keep on keepin' on! Let it go Girl! You do you, and there are many that appreciate you.
3 x

BostonIrish

Post by BostonIrish » 1 year ago

Collijoe So right you are!!!!!😅😘
3 x

Druid

@William you are so right. The names you mentioned had nice and interesting posts.
5 x

FarmMom

Post by FarmMom » 1 year ago

Druid wrote:
1 year ago
@FarmMom The different info about the treatment stopped me from buying the yellow sapphire I was referring to.I am very cautious when I see they indicate “none” for treatment.Also, their “zircons” in halo rings are in most cases cubic zirconia as I found out lookin up the same amethyst ring I wan on R A. It is also listed on eBay with cz instead of zircons, while on their website it says a zircons, treatment” none”. The cut is mentioned “ fair” on eBay, but no mention about the cut on their site. The price on both eBay and their site is over $100 but I won it at only $ 21. Another amethyst ring Bali legacy I won is mentioned as untreated on both sides,with a “ fair cut” and a price over $100 . I won it at only $18 and I am very suspicious about the quality.I did not yet received both rings, so I’ll see what I got later.I bought the Bali legacy amethyst ring because it said untreated even though I don’t like at all this brand.In terms of treatment I prefer “heated” and avoid diffused. They sell Indian rubies “oiled” on jtv, which is a very unusual treatment for rubies but common for emeralds.Reading about the “oil treatment “ for rubies does not make me purchase any, though I love rubies.I did not see this treatment for rubies mentioned on shoplc so far.

Thankyou again for pointing this out. That certainly would affect my buying if the "sparkle factor" was actually fake. I actually have been shoping zircons a bit online (loose gems) and they are absolutely spectacular when you find a good one. I have a few due to arrive in the mail in the next two weeks so we shall see how they appear in person ;)

Also interesting that they note the cut on the "zircons". I bought my husband a loupe set for his birthday, I'll do some research online and see if there's a way to test real vs. fake with only a loupe. There are some nifty devices online you can invest $200 in to test various stones, but truthfully we shouldn't HAVE to.

But again, I'm glad you brought it up as I had been considering re-selling some of their items in my Christmas tree gift shop, but certainly don't need anyone running back calling me a scammer.. . .

It's strange that a ruby would be oiled . . . they are actually sapphires (more or less), not a red version of an emerald. But I found this online:

"As laboratory gemologists working in Bangkok, we often encounter gems that have been treated with oil to minimize the appearance of fissures. Most of these stones come from Myanmar, where many vendors consider oiling an accepted standard procedure to enhance their goods, particularly ruby and spinel. Furthermore, red oil is commonly used not only to improve clarity, but also to enhance the color of the stone (in Chanthaburi, Thailand, it is sold under the brand name “King Ruby Red Oil”). Often this treatment can be identified by flattened gas bubbles in the fissures or by droplets of oil seeping out of the fissures on the surface when the stone is gently warmed by microscope light or hot point."

Reading other articles it's a fairly common practice, and many stones use this same treatment as well (including tourmalines) but ALWAYS it MUST be disclosed because it does affect the value. Oiling helps hide fissures and cracks, making a gem appear cleaner. Cleaner gem= better price, but only IF it's naturally clean.

(Side note, my concern would be the red oil heating in the sun and leaking onto someone's nice outfit and staining it :( )
0 x

FarmMom

Post by FarmMom » 1 year ago

William wrote:
1 year ago
They should allow them ALL BAck now!!!! Alas ... They are all GONE --- Probably LONG Gone!

Very Sad .........
EVERYONE: for future refeernce you CAN just make a new account if you have a second or third e-mail address ;)

But I had posted the question a few months back why people got booted and my post was erased (not surprised). Could you fill me in by chance?
0 x

honey

Post by honey » 1 year ago

Very Sad .........

Hi William, or as WE still call you 'Sweet William'!!
I can't speak for the one ... RS, however, I am able
to inform you, several others of us are alive and well,
no longer able to log on and comment here and I remain
scarce for the most part. We notice your comments.
Be not sad Sweet William!!

PS ... the one and only is still pouring hot coffees!! [ clink ]
5 x

William

Post by William » 1 year ago

Farm Mom-- I Always Appreciate All your Info !

Honey --- THANKS SO MUCH ! I miss all those ladies --- GLAD to hear that You --- And they are well !!!!!

Also --- GLAD to hear the coffee is still pouring !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope everyone has a Wonderful, Fun, And Relaxing Weekend !!!
5 x