Fake and incorrectly Names gems

FarmMom

Fake and incorrectly Names gems

Post by FarmMom » 1 year ago

I had a friend come over with her first purchase of Shop LC necklaces and was excited to show me. Nothing crazy, just some gemstone beaded ncklaces. A few were nice, but some were terrible.

The amethyt for instance, was painted purple. No joke. I picked it up and noticed right off, and under my loupe it was even worse. Paint stones, how nice. She had been so excited to have real gemstones too.

The next one was a moonstone, which was pretty awful as well, just plain white rocks. A few of the others like the garnets were nice, and the labordite, but one moonstone necklace was not moonstone at al but rather labordite,. I've been doing a LOT of study on my stones so I spotted it right off. At least it still looked ok.

But it just brings to mind yet again, how often things are baited and switched. I watched Cheryl last night, the suppossed gemologist, call a moonstone incorrectly. I forget which way it went, either it was a rainbow and she called it something else, or it was something else and she called it rainbow. Two very different types, one is common and one is rare. But it just left me shaking my head.

I understand slipups happen, but this didn't seem to be a slip up . . . and as for my friend, I gently reminded her why I stopped buying stuff from Shop LC. Was sorry she started off on such a harsh note :(
5 x

colljoe

Re: Fake and incorrectly Names gems

Post by colljoe » 1 year ago

I haven't noticed anything like painted stones as yet, but I will be on the lookout. But what I have noticed is their diamond baguettes. When I had ordered any diamond with their baguettes, I promptly returned. Looking with my loupe, was shocked how terrible they were set, set crooked, and one could even see glue. Poor quality and quality control. I stopped ordering anything with baguettes. I did do a review and of course it was never posted. Buy a loupe. Get one that lights up and you can charge (like a cell phone). It's amazing what you will see.
3 x

FarmMom

Post by FarmMom » 1 year ago

I know they had a few necklaces listed as "dyed" which I stayed away from because who wants to risk dye coming off on their skin or clothes.

The baguettes I have seen, although the ones I experiences were broken, cracked, and even shattered. Both on low cost sterling rings and high end platinum rhopsody rings.

When we went to a local jeweler to look at having my tanzanite set, I said I wanted baguettes, and she said they wouldn't mount them. Since diamonds are very brittle, they shatter easily with pressure, and baguettes being long are more prone to breaking. I'm honestly surprised ShopLC offers them considering quality control is hard with mass production . . .

VBut I do agree, get a loupe, they are certainly cheap enough online :)
0 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 11 months ago

FarmMom wrote:
1 year ago
I had a friend come over with her first purchase of Shop LC necklaces and was excited to show me. Nothing crazy, just some gemstone beaded ncklaces. A few were nice, but some were terrible.

The amethyt for instance, was painted purple. No joke. I picked it up and noticed right off, and under my loupe it was even worse. Paint stones, how nice. She had been so excited to have real gemstones too.

The next one was a moonstone, which was pretty awful as well, just plain white rocks. A few of the others like the garnets were nice, and the labordite, but one moonstone necklace was not moonstone at al but rather labordite,. I've been doing a LOT of study on my stones so I spotted it right off. At least it still looked ok.

But it just brings to mind yet again, how often things are baited and switched. I watched Cheryl last night, the suppossed gemologist, call a moonstone incorrectly. I forget which way it went, either it was a rainbow and she called it something else, or it was something else and she called it rainbow. Two very different types, one is common and one is rare. But it just left me shaking my head.

I understand slipups happen, but this didn't seem to be a slip up . . . and as for my friend, I gently reminded her why I stopped buying stuff from Shop LC. Was sorry she started off on such a harsh note :(
Painted gemstones?! That’s awful. And many customers spending money on this. Rainbow Moonstone is the common came of white labradorite, but Moonstone is transparent with a blue shine.
1 x