WHAT HAPPENED?

colljoe

WHAT HAPPENED?

Post by colljoe » 1 year ago

Community Forum has been down for a while. I certainly was not able to get in. Anyone know what happened? I thought maybe we were being punished :lol:
5 x

Bella

Re: WHAT HAPPENED?

Post by Bella » 1 year ago

I kept doing the online chat help with no luck several times and could not get it through to the customer service rep what I was talking about. She kept giving me the link to the forum. I told her you could see the forum if you didn’t log in but could not post. If you logged in you could not get into the forum. It was crazy no one understood what I was saying.I could not get anyone who even knew what I was talking about.They were clueless! Finally I took a survey and gave a really bad review of the online chat help. They sent me a email to ask about the issue I was having. I informed them in detail. They did not have a clue that the forum was down after over a week! After over 2 weeks they must have got their “stuff” together!
6 x

Greeneyesbluesighs

Post by Greeneyesbluesighs » 1 year ago

I was also wondering what had happened. I thought maybe since it appears programming and merchandise is going downhill over there that they didn’t want to hear what people on the forum might be saying.
6 x

Bella

Post by Bella » 1 year ago

So true! I would venture to say their IT team didn’t even know of the issue with the forum. When I informed them they did not know what I was talking about. They kept telling me people were posting, like everything was fine. I tried to explain that those posts were over a week old at the time! Good grief it was like talking to a 2 year old!
6 x

colljoe

Post by colljoe » 1 year ago

I think some of those people in customer service are not even in that building. They are clueless most of the time. I sent a message to the hosts one time about it and then the "chat" which is also a waste of time. I was just curious really. Thought they were taking it down. No one seems to be monitoring it anymore. We all do seem to speak our minds without censorship of lately. Like when we mention how we shop other places like JTV and Gemporia and HSN, ShopHQ, QVC, you know, that type of thing. Hey, they have sales and clearance super deals also. ;)
5 x

Mapper

Post by Mapper » 1 year ago

This is the error I was getting when the comunity page could not be accessed:

Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from community.shoplc.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).

NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID
community.shoplc.com normally uses encryption to protect your information. When Chrome tried to connect to community.shoplc.com this time, the website sent back unusual and incorrect credentials. This may happen when an attacker is trying to pretend to be community.shoplc.com, or a Wi-Fi sign-in screen has interrupted the connection. Your information is still secure because Chrome stopped the connection before any data was exchanged.
You cannot visit community.shoplc.com right now because the website uses HSTS. Network errors and attacks are usually temporary, so this page will probably work later.

This is why the page could be accessed without logging in because there would be no account data to steal from the user.

Also, it appears Shop Lc has hired a Chief Technology Officer:

https://www.prweb.com/releases/industry ... 224385.htm

AUSTIN, TEXAS (PRWEB) MARCH 16, 2023

Shop LC proudly welcomes Mohammed Farooq as the new Chief Technology Officer for its parent company, Vaibhav Global Limited (VGL).
In his new role, Mohammed will be based out of the Austin, Texas, office and will be responsible for overseeing global IT initiatives and support strategies. He will partner with business executives, IT leaders, and operations staff to drive outstanding digital customer experiences, operational efficiencies, and revenue acceleration.
2 x

FarmMom

Post by FarmMom » 1 year ago

Mapper wrote:
1 year ago

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from community.shoplc.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).

community.shoplc.com normally uses encryption to protect your information. When Chrome tried to connect to community.shoplc.com this time, the website sent back unusual and incorrect credentials. This may happen when an attacker is trying to pretend to be community.shoplc.com, or a Wi-Fi sign-in screen has interrupted the connection. Your information is still secure because Chrome stopped the connection before any data was exchanged.
You cannot visit community.shoplc.com right now because the website uses HSTS. Network errors and attacks are usually temporary, so this page will probably work later.

Shop LC proudly welcomes Mohammed Farooq as the new Chief Technology Officer for its parent company, Vaibhav Global Limited (VGL).
In his new role, Mohammed will be based out of the Austin, Texas, office and will be responsible for overseeing global IT initiatives and support strategies. He will partner with business executives, IT leaders, and operations staff to drive outstanding digital customer experiences, operational efficiencies, and revenue acceleration.

I know that community forums are a nice "in" for hackers. I've seen places get taken down because they were overrun with them. With that being said, the security certificate was expired, that's all. They just needed to run an update on the hosting site or whatever and it usually clears it right up. I've had that happen on my own site.

But as a precaution I took all my payment info down, and that really got SHLC excited because they couldn't bill my payments, lol.

I got that fixed today.

SIDE NOTE -- HSN ALSO has a forum, and it's HUUUUGE, so if we ever get taken off again, everyone meet up there to hash things out!

I also noticed I wasn't poking around at all on the site with the forum down, and didn't much watch on TV either.

But I did buy a LOT of gemstones on my favorite gem site, hahaha!

Good to see you guys!
3 x

Greeneyesbluesighs

Post by Greeneyesbluesighs » 1 year ago

Mapper wrote:
1 year ago

This is why the page could be accessed without logging in because there would be no account data to steal from the user.

Well then if they have a new IT guy and ShopLC constantly proclaiming we are all FAMILY, then in the interest of familial relations he should cordially invite all those banned to return here!
ShopLC wants to be like the big networks. Okay! They have big forums and don’t have all these scaredy-cat rules. I agree there should not be bullying. But some of the other rules are kind of over the top imo.
4 x

Mapper

Post by Mapper » 1 year ago

FarmMom wrote:
1 year ago
Mapper wrote:
1 year ago

I know that community forums are a nice "in" for hackers. I've seen places get taken down because they were overrun with them. With that being said, the security certificate was expired, that's all. They just needed to run an update on the hosting site or whatever and it usually clears it right up. I've had that happen on my own site.

But as a precaution I took all my payment info down, and that really got SHLC excited because they couldn't bill my payments, lol.

I got that fixed today.

SIDE NOTE -- HSN ALSO has a forum, and it's HUUUUGE, so if we ever get taken off again, everyone meet up there to hash things out!

I also noticed I wasn't poking around at all on the site with the forum down, and didn't much watch on TV either.

But I did buy a LOT of gemstones on my favorite gem site, hahaha!

Good to see you guys!
I was a Field Engineer in Information Technology Hardware, Operating Systems and Support for over 25 years. I have no experience in Network Infrastructure or Security but it is my understanding that once the SSL certificate expires, the browser will immediately flag the website and warn "any" visitor wanting to access the website. In this case, it was only blocking users with Shop LC log in credentials that were logged in. If the user was logged out or didn't have a login, the page could be accessed and read only. Who knows right? Now that they have a new Chief Technology Officer maybe the site will be better.....I won't hold my breath though.
4 x

BostonIrish

Post by BostonIrish » 1 year ago

I thought I got the boot!😲
4 x