BostonIrish

Tired of Gold and Diamonds

Post by BostonIrish » 1 year ago

What can I say. Glad to see were back.🤗
9 x

Bella

Re: Tired of Gold and Diamonds

Post by Bella » 1 year ago

I’m so,so tired of the gold,diamonds,chains, Moissanite,Tanzanite and clearance!
9 x

Greeneyesbluesighs

Post by Greeneyesbluesighs » 1 year ago

They WAY over-bought in the gold department. Thinking people would be scooping it up by the truckload. But it keeps hanging around. I don’t think people are buying it like ShopLC claims. So we keep seeing the same stock for over a year now. Gold. Exotic handbags (also over-bought). When was the last time ANY new handbags showed up on the site? A very very long time. Winlar kaftans showed up last week and they almost completely sold out in one day. ShopLC needs to pay more attention to their customer buying trends.
8 x

BostonIrish

Post by BostonIrish » 1 year ago

They don't know when to hold them and when to fold them. They need new buyers.🎲🎲🎲🎲💰💰💰
8 x

FarmMom

Post by FarmMom » 1 year ago

They go to the Tuscan Gem show every year, you'd think they'd design some new items with some not yet shown exotic stones.

THERE ARE SOOOOO MANY STONES OUT THERE Shop LC only carries a fraction.

Shoot, I'm surprised they haven't scooped up Lilac Quartz, but that one certainly isn't very well known. or Rutilated Quartz. Or Chalcedony, which is VERY common and cabs can be quite stunning. or Rainbow lattice Sunstone, which is very fetching and from the US.

HALF their issue, is they CANNOT make new designs. They can't afford to.

First they'd have to design something they all agree they like, then they have to create a mold of it (time consuming), then they have to figure out a way to implement it into their factory and train a new crew to put it together.

A normal small town shop would go into their back room, carve or 3d print a copy of their mount, poour a cast around it, then use that mold to make the number needed. They would re-size it and set the stones all by hand. Not super time consuming if you have experience, you can watch experts on YouTube re-size and set stones in less than 30 minutes. But they are their own quality control, and don't have to pump out a mass quantity.

I read an article on a female jewelry setter working in India who had been setting stones and faceting stones for 30 years. She worked in a factory. She said she was happy to be recognized for her long time dedication, but she and other workers were frustrated that they never even received minimum wage. She said they were more skilled at their trade than many others in other countries, yet because there were so few jobs the factories could get away with paying them less than minimum and they had no choice but to do the work or starve.

This made me very sad. You should see some of the stones I have bought. The most beautiful cuts I have ever laid eyes on. They are true masters at their craft.

But the article made me wonder if SLC pays their workers fair wages. As low as their prices are, you do wonder. I'd rather pay a bit more than have an employee look around their dinner table and say "ok, who's the one skipping dinner tonight?"....
2 x

Greeneyesbluesighs

Post by Greeneyesbluesighs » 1 year ago

FarmMom wrote:
1 year ago
They go to the Tuscan Gem show every year, you'd think they'd design some new items with some not yet shown exotic stones.

Shoot, I'm surprised they haven't scooped up Lilac Quartz, but that one certainly isn't very well known. or Rutilated Quartz. Or Chalcedony, which is VERY common and cabs can be quite stunning. or Rainbow lattice Sunstone, which is very fetching and from the US.

First they'd have to design something they all agree they like, then they have to create a mold of it (time consuming), then they have to figure out a way to implement it into their factory and train a new crew to put it together.

A normal small town shop would go into their back room, carve or 3d print a copy of their mount, poour a cast around it, then use that mold to make the number needed. They would re-size it and set the stones all by hand. Not super time consuming if you have experience, you can watch experts on YouTube re-size and set stones in less than 30 minutes. But they are their own quality control, and don't have to pump out a mass quantity.

I read an article on a female jewelry setter working in India who had been setting stones and faceting stones for 30 years. She worked in a factory. She said she was happy to be recognized for her long time dedication, but she and other workers were frustrated that they never even received minimum wage. She said they were more skilled at their trade than many others in other countries, yet because there were so few jobs the factories could get away with paying them less than minimum and they had no choice but to do the work or starve.

This made me very sad. You should see some of the stones I have bought. The most beautiful cuts I have ever laid eyes on. They are true masters at their craft.

But the article made me wonder if SLC pays their workers fair wages. As low as their prices are, you do wonder. I'd rather pay a bit more than have an employee look around their dinner table and say "ok, who's the one skipping dinner tonight?"....
ShopLC actually does use a 3-D printer for their mountings. Not for their artisan crafted pieces. Oftentimes you can tell when a mount has been made by a 3D printer. They can have wonky parts. And they do have a design department. They actually even hold in-house design contests. But for some reason the designs rarely change. I say break the mold and make totally new ones!
2 x

colljoe

Post by colljoe » 1 year ago

FarmMom: years ago they did. They had all different stones, cuts, designs. In fact, many that you mentioned. I know, I bought them. It was so much fun going to their site back when it was Liquidation Channel. So many unusual and beautiful things. Auction was really fun and hardly anyone on during early morning hours. Clearance was a joy and always a tremendous variety of things. Wish they would go back to that as I'm sure most were closeouts from jewelry companies. That's what they need, because I do see the same design on rings and necklaces with different stones. Tacky! And I too am so bored with the gold chains, and their diamonds. And I agree about the Tanzanite. I'm beginning to wonder why they have so much of it if it's supposedly hard to get. I would never buy their diamonds, to me they are poorly set, that I have noticed.
4 x

FarmMom

Post by FarmMom » 1 year ago

Greeneyesbluesighs wrote:
1 year ago
FarmMom wrote:
1 year ago

ShopLC actually does use a 3-D printer for their mountings. Not for their artisan crafted pieces. Oftentimes you can tell when a mount has been made by a 3D printer. They can have wonky parts. And they do have a design department. They actually even hold in-house design contests. But for some reason the designs rarely change. I say break the mold and make totally new ones!
Interesting, I didn't know that about 3D printers! Do you have one or try to make a mold with one? I think that would be cool, but I definitly should not be taking on any more hobbies or jobs, lol!
0 x