Someone Please Smack me - More Fakes from SLC

colljoe

Re: Someone Please Smack me - More Fakes from SLC

Post by colljoe » 1 year ago

I made a mistake one time years ago of buying a amethyst tennis necklace that I could not believe the price. Though I hit it big time. Well, it was their "crystal" another words, glass, and it was in stainless steel to boot. How I missed all that I will never know. Was I drinking a glass of wine (or two) that night? :lol:
It was actually pretty but it was not something that I would wear. But I did double my money by selling at a yard sale. And yes, I had the tag as amethyst color crystal in stainless steel. Believe me, most people don't have a clue. I certainly didn't when I bought it.
2 x

Druid

Post by Druid » 1 year ago

Amethyst crystal color is indeed glass. Amethyst is a quartz not a crystal.I think your tag was correct.
2 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 11 months ago

I wonder how many fakes I have. I have doubts about my Mexican fire opals.
3 x

FarmMom

Post by FarmMom » 11 months ago

Margui wrote:
11 months ago
I wonder how many fakes I have. I have doubts about my Mexican fire opals.
on the gemology forum I'm on, someone made the comment that they went through their friend's massive jewelry collection and nearly all of it was fake. She had bought it from JTV (and likely other places I'm sure). Spinel, sapphire, ruby, even some nicer looking amethyst.

I THINK, an easy way to spot fakes would be to buy a short wave UV light, spectrum 265. They are expensive, but the glow doesn't lie, and anything can be tested. Many of my stones from SLC have prongs that stick up and won't allow testing on my refractometer, or they are too tiny to test.

I JUST ordered a mid-range UV light to test my loose stones (would also work on my jewelry). I'll let you know if it's a good one or not . . . many hand held types are more of a long-wave light (think party black light) and show a different color. Short wave lights are more expensive and special glasses are needed.

Mexican fire opal, the GOOD STUFF looks NOTHING like what SLC carries. Same with Grandidierite. You'd never guess it was the same stone. Chances are good your fire opals ARE real, but just very low grade ones. Or maybe not, lol!
1 x

Druid

Post by Druid » 11 months ago

After all these above being said, I wonder IF we can trust their treatments that state “ heated” or “oiled” … as true. I never bought any stone that said it was lead glass filled or fracture/ fusion filled. I bought only “heated” or “oiled” rubies, sapphires and emerald items. I never trusted any on line seller for diamonds. I have now a big doubt about any item won on RA at small priced for the above mentioned 3 gem stones. Regarding semi precious gem stones like amethyst, citrine they are all heated, but I have some non treated natural Uruguayan amethysts. The garnet items are usually not treated either. Now, as the doubt was planted it is difficult to trust any disclosed information as true or not anymore. This is a good incentive for me to stop buying any semi precious or precious stones on this site and check everything I purchased with a jeweler.
3 x

Lanai

Post by Lanai » 11 months ago

Does anyone know how to check if Certification and Appraisal documentation is legit. Just received an item that was supposed to take 10-14days to receive because it was in a made to order basis. It actually took around a month and it's beautiful but the Cert and Appraisal Card has this items appraisal date as January 2022. Odd how could an item that supposedly didn't even exit yet be appraised approximately 11/2 years ago????
2 x

Lanai

Sorry for the above typos. Just saw them. 😊
0 x

FarmMom

Post by FarmMom » 11 months ago

Lanai wrote:
11 months ago
Does anyone know how to check if Certification and Appraisal documentation is legit. Just received an item that was supposed to take 10-14days to receive because it was in a made to order basis. It actually took around a month and it's beautiful but the Cert and Appraisal Card has this items appraisal date as January 2022. Odd how could an item that supposedly didn't even exit yet be appraised approximately 11/2 years ago????
The appraisals are not per item. It's for the "idea", if that makes any sense. Since they have a set idea of what grade each stone or diamond will be, they have a general guide of what it could potentially appraise at. We bought a Rhapsody tanzanite ring last year, and the carat weight wasn't even correct, nor the same stone according to the high end jeweler we took it to to have a second opinion. The card will not hold for insurance claims because it's not that item, and it's just a cute card. Our jeweler said we'd need an actual legit company to appraise it.
1 x

Lanai

Seriously!!! Unfortunately I live about 3 hours in all directions to be able to have an Accredited Jeweler who would be able to Certify and Appraise. Everything this company sells is a scam. Smoke and Mirrors is right.
2 x