What Would YOU Like to Buy?

FarmMom

What Would YOU Like to Buy?

Post by FarmMom » 1 year ago

I do have to give SLC credit for getting me interested in jewelry and more importantly, gemology.

As previously mentioned ina few posts I have decided to add a jewelry section to my farm gift store that will only be open on Christmas. I was originally planning to re-sell SLC stuff, but nixed that idea with so much being incorrect, fake and overall awful shopping experiences.

Plus I discovered I could buy loose gems much cheaper and set into mountings myself. So I have been amassing quite the collection of loose gems.

With that said, I am curious what YOU might buy or be looking for. My area is middle working class (lots of farmers, but farmers like to buy their wives jewelry), but we get a LOT of traffic from UPPER middle class to UPPER class folk that want a nice family outing.

The local jeweler in town (oddly enough we do have one) doesn't carry anything fancy or expensive. he says folk won't buy it. The jeweler the next town over had a few decent things, but still nothing overly eye-catching. They did have a larimar ring for $600 set in sterling silver, and I know I saw larimar cabs selling online for pennies on the dollar, so they are likely quite over priced..

But I'm just not sure WHAT exactly to offer. I have collected some LARGE, fetching stones (30+cts) as well as some tiny nuggets. I'm not sure I want to mess with rings (re-sizing and such) but it would be nice if I did. Pendants are easy, but I forget about earrings and bracelets.

Everything will be real stones, set in gold or silver, and mix of affordable and higher priced (such as emeralds, rubies and tanzanites). But if you were to walk in to possibly pick something out, what would YOU be looing for, or what would catch YOUR eye?
5 x

Bella

Re: What Would YOU Like to Buy?

Post by Bella » 1 year ago

Hi FarmMom! If I were at your store shopping (I wish I could) I’m always looking for any large gemstone pendants such as Citrine, Amethyst, any color topaz or opaque stones as well such as Jasper, Turquoise, Cornelian, Malachite etc. Now I’m on a mission to find a really nice Ametrine for a ring, but I’m in no hurry I prefer to wait until I find the best stone and cut.I also like smaller gemstone necklaces as well great for layering and of course I love big stone rings to, and yet I love small stackable rings as well. I enjoy bracelets to of all varieties. (I have enough to open my own shop!) Good luck on your store and just remember people’s tastes in jewelry varies greatly, it sure sounds like a lot of fun and I know you will be successful!
4 x

FarmMom

lol I like big statement gemstone pendants as well!

You would LOVE these "moss agate" slices I found, they are stunning! Real stone with mineral inclusions that look like meadow, mountain or oceanside scenes. Also dragonskin chalcedony! technically it's heated and dyed, but it's still very eye-catching!

Where are you looking for stones? Here or elsewhere online? I have at least two ametrine stones, one is pixel cut, a stunning 12ct gem and the other is octagon cut, 3ct and quite pale, but for $1 I wasn't going to complain ;)

I didn't know you set your own stones, Bella! What have you done so far?
2 x

Bella

Post by Bella » 1 year ago

I don’t set any now. I set a few nice sized peridot into rings many years ago as a novice. I purchase mostly online at different gem wholesalers. I have a good friend of mine that sets them for me sometimes in gold ( I prefer white gold) or silver. I purchased a 12 carat emerald cut Morganite a few months ago and he set it for me in a rose gold mount with diamonds and I love it! I just get so underwhelmed when I look in jewelry stores and think I could find a better stone than what the jeweler used. I guess I’m picky!
4 x

FarmMom

That sounds stunning, I would love a morganite in rose gold too some day!
2 x

Greeneyesbluesighs

Post by Greeneyesbluesighs » 1 year ago

@FarmMom ,

So I am assuming this little shoppe will be at your farm? Perhaps a small little out-building. So that being said, and going with my guess -

I would not walk into a shoppe such as yours expecting to and actually not wanting to see high-end stones and settings. In fact in that setting I would be suspicious of anything Iike that. This is by no means a reflection on you, your shoppe or your business acumen. I am simply addressing, as a consumer, what I would like to see and imagine I’d see at your shoppe. (I’m using “shoppe” because I have this vision in my head and that variation of the word seems to fit, in my mind :D )

So what I envision are artisan style pieces. A lot of big, chunky but also smaller of the same. Perhaps some intricate wire wrapping (not so much as to hide the stone) with some smaller stones woven within. I see a lot of natural styles, boho if you will. Macramé pieces with gemstones like labradorite, moonstone, jasper, unakite, etc. etc.

Beaded necklaces like you mentioned with chunky set silver pieces with a large cabochon stone. Simple stone or gem pendants on a braided leather cord.

But also think about your local customers. Are they mostly going to be locals or do you think tourists? If there is a certain amount of your customers that have a “cowboy vibe” well there may be a need there. Lariat necklaces with a silver/gem focal. And dare I suggest? Gulp! A bolo necklace (Yikes) but if that’s what they want. I’m not suggesting you lean too “kitschy” here though.

I would also like to see, as a counterpoint to all the above, some sleek and modern pieces. More streamlined and simple. I see not quite minimalist but chic and modern. Pretty faceted rectangular or marquis gems in a simple bezel or cage setting on a long chain or omega. I can definitely see those as well. And earrings to match. Modern swirl designs with gems as well. Not wire wrapping but pieces with a flow.

Well now that I’ve gone on and on and on. (There’s more in my head but I shall refrain) Whatever you do with it I wish you the best of luck!
3 x

FarmMom

Greeneyesbluesighs wrote:
1 year ago
@FarmMom ,

So I am assuming this little shoppe will be at your farm? Perhaps a small little out-building. So that being said, and going with my guess -

I would not walk into a shoppe such as yours expecting to and actually not wanting to see high-end stones and settings. In fact in that setting I would be suspicious of anything Iike that. This is by no means a reflection on you, your shoppe or your business acumen. I am simply addressing, as a consumer, what I would like to see and imagine I’d see at your shoppe. (I’m using “shoppe” because I have this vision in my head and that variation of the word seems to fit, in my mind :D )

So what I envision are artisan style pieces. A lot of big, chunky but also smaller of the same. Perhaps some intricate wire wrapping (not so much as to hide the stone) with some smaller stones woven within. I see a lot of natural styles, boho if you will. Macramé pieces with gemstones like labradorite, moonstone, jasper, unakite, etc. etc.

Beaded necklaces like you mentioned with chunky set silver pieces with a large cabochon stone. Simple stone or gem pendants on a braided leather cord.

But also think about your local customers. Are they mostly going to be locals or do you think tourists? If there is a certain amount of your customers that have a “cowboy vibe” well there may be a need there. Lariat necklaces with a silver/gem focal. And dare I suggest? Gulp! A bolo necklace (Yikes) but if that’s what they want. I’m not suggesting you lean too “kitschy” here though.

I would also like to see, as a counterpoint to all the above, some sleek and modern pieces. More streamlined and simple. I see not quite minimalist but chic and modern. Pretty faceted rectangular or marquis gems in a simple bezel or cage setting on a long chain or omega. I can definitely see those as well. And earrings to match. Modern swirl designs with gems as well. Not wire wrapping but pieces with a flow.

Well now that I’ve gone on and on and on. (There’s more in my head but I shall refrain) Whatever you do with it I wish you the best of luck!

So we knew that the local farm that retired had a gift shop and he said it was a huge draw. He helped a new farm 45 minutes away start uup and he had a gift shop too. Cottage-style gifts (homemade stuff from locals). I guess it was a huge draw and year 1 people swarmed him and he was bought out within a short while and had to close early.

So that's why the gift shop :)

From what the retired farmer said, tourists were the biggest customers.

Gemstone pieces will be advertised online as well, so customers know in advance what to expect, and our big ticket item will be the "unknown stones" I have been buying. I plan to trademark a name for them and create a brand, depending on how my GIA report comes back. But customers will be entered to win a pendant and necklace each year.

I do agree on the keep it simple and stylish ;D
1 x