When GIA is WRONG . . .?!

FarmMom

When GIA is WRONG . . .?!

Post by FarmMom » 1 year ago

So, if you remember, I came across a stunningly beautiful type of stone while shopping for loose stones to set myself in jewelry for my gift shop.

I had gotten it cheap and when it arrived I was smitten with it. So I bought more. And more and more. The problem was, I saw them called by two different names, two VERY different mineral families, and NO ONE could say one way or another WHAT they were. Since it did sort of make a difference on price, I decided to investigate . . .

but turned up VERY LITTLE info on them online. It seemed to be a ghost stone. People like me who were captivated by it, were buying them up in massive lots from gem cutters and not speaking a word of it. It wasn't in jewelry, and only a handful of people had them for sale as more curiosities than jewelry-worthy finds.

The stones were tough as nails, large and glisteningly clean with a captivating glow like nothing ever seen before.

When I posted them to my gemology forum (a site full of professional stone collectors and gemstone gurus), EVERYONE was convinced they were glass or fake.

So, I sent 3 off to GIA for testing. I had run across another fellow who had tested his professioally, but only superficial testing (things like hardness, density, refractive index, etc) but NOT a chemical breakdown of the elements contained.

So, I requested GIA chemically test my stones using a certain method (quite certain they DO that type of testing), and I got my results back.

Sadly NOT the mineral I had thought. But they also HADN'T chemically tested it, they only had superficially tested it . . . which left room for error . . . I sent the results off to a local gemologist who was GIA certified and HAD the big GIA testing equipment and she told me flat out "THEY ARE WRONG." And then she proceeded to tell me it was a DIFFERENT mineral altogether, leaving me all the more confused. She informed me she had several like them and had tested them herself and they were NOT what GIA stated they were.

So the stones still remain a mystery, and are still being secretly bought out by others like me who have a hunch that they are a rare find, and are busy buying all they can before prices jump on them. I had another lady on my gem forum offer to test them for free, so maybe I'll send one out to her and see what she says.

The moral of this long story is, even the PROS can and DO make mistakes, always be vigilant and trust your gut, and second and third opinions are a GOOD thing!

(As to WHAT the stones COULD be, I cannot say as I don't want SLC buying out the entire supply and selling them for next to nothing on here..) But I'd be happy to tell you if you can find a way to find me like Green Eyes did ;D

***** To be continued . . . .
5 x

Greeneyesbluesighs

Re: When GIA is WRONG . . .?!

Post by Greeneyesbluesighs » 1 year ago

FarmMom wrote:
1 year ago
So, if you remember, I came across a stunningly beautiful type of stone while shopping for loose stones to set myself in jewelry for my gift shop.

I had gotten it cheap and when it arrived I was smitten with it. So I bought more. And more and more. The problem was, I saw them called by two different names, two VERY different mineral families, and NO ONE could say one way or another WHAT they were. Since it did sort of make a difference on price, I decided to investigate . . .

but turned up VERY LITTLE info on them online. It seemed to be a ghost stone. People like me who were captivated by it, were buying them up in massive lots from gem cutters and not speaking a word of it. It wasn't in jewelry, and only a handful of people had them for sale as more curiosities than jewelry-worthy finds.

The stones were tough as nails, large and glisteningly clean with a captivating glow like nothing ever seen before.

When I posted them to my gemology forum (a site full of professional stone collectors and gemstone gurus), EVERYONE was convinced they were glass or fake.

So, I sent 3 off to GIA for testing. I had run across another fellow who had tested his professioally, but only superficial testing (things like hardness, density, refractive index, etc) but NOT a chemical breakdown of the elements contained.

So, I requested GIA chemically test my stones using a certain method (quite certain they DO that type of testing), and I got my results back.

Sadly NOT the mineral I had thought. But they also HADN'T chemically tested it, they only had superficially tested it . . . which left room for error . . . I sent the results off to a local gemologist who was GIA certified and HAD the big GIA testing equipment and she told me flat out "THEY ARE WRONG." And then she proceeded to tell me it was a DIFFERENT mineral altogether, leaving me all the more confused. She informed me she had several like them and had tested them herself and they were NOT what GIA stated they were.

So the stones still remain a mystery, and are still being secretly bought out by others like me who have a hunch that they are a rare find, and are busy buying all they can before prices jump on them. I had another lady on my gem forum offer to test them for free, so maybe I'll send one out to her and see what she says.

The moral of this long story is, even the PROS can and DO make mistakes, always be vigilant and trust your gut, and second and third opinions are a GOOD thing!

(As to WHAT the stones COULD be, I cannot say as I don't want SLC buying out the entire supply and selling them for next to nothing on here..) But I'd be happy to tell you if you can find a way to find me like Green Eyes did ;D

***** To be continued . . . .
Was it the stone you sent me a pic of?
1 x

FarmMom

GREENEYES-

Yes it was. They all are a bit different but still have the same glow.

I tried the UV light today . . . stupid me bought the WRONG ONE (of course). I bought the basic one for find pet stains and not the filtered UV light one that was 2X more. UGH. I must have been falling asleep when I ordered it ...

A rock hunting guy I know is going to take it to the local jeweler with me today (he's buddies with him) and see what he suggests for identification. Unless he has a long wave UV light, I'm not sure how much help he'd be, but he's 10 minutes from my house so it's worth a shot.
2 x

BostonIrish

Post by BostonIrish » 1 year ago

Hope you find out 💰💰💰 Girl The CIA should hire you! 👀👁🕵😊
3 x

MayFlowers

Post by MayFlowers » 1 year ago

I’m so confused and so curious at the same time. I’ve actually been thinking on this, racking my brain trying to think of what stone you might be referring to. Really interested!
2 x

MayFlowers

Post by MayFlowers » 1 year ago

Is it Fanta garnet? Chrome tourmaline? Sunset tourmaline? Pezzotaite?
0 x

MaeWest1953

Post by MaeWest1953 » 1 year ago

Wow FarmMom!

I was very interested in your post and I don't even buy stones etc....teehee
What a lot of hoops you jumped through to get where you are, congratulations on being persistent!
Sure wish I knew how to "find someones" contact info so we could message them
There was a gal named Summer71 that I was chatting with a year ago and I wonder how she is doing
Sadly we are not allowed to give email addresses etc. so we can keep in touch

So GreenEyes is a smart cookie :) Congratulations GreenEyes :)
0 x

FarmMom

I stumbled on these stone by "accident" (no such thing as accidents), when I was gathering a bunch of cheap stones at auction from a seller. Some sellers dont get much attention when their stuff goes to auction and so sell for far less than others despite quality being the same. I picked it up for $2, it was just a big, white looking stone. When it arrived, I realized it was entirely different. Photos did not do it justice, it was breathtaking! So I began buying all I could find if I happened to see them for sale with other gems. And then sellers realized my pattern and began contacting me to sell direct. Cuts I have NEVER seen before on any other mineral, were proudly showcased on these gems, which only amplified their beauty. In a week I will have amassed 200 of these stones. originally bought to sell in my gift shop, but now am buying as an investment. They should easily fetch $1,000 each once they gain attention, and I'm buying them for well under $100 each. They WILL BE the next Tanzanite, possibly the next Paraiba tourmaline. It is a SINGLE source gem (so far).

As soon as I find out 100% WHAT the stone is, I will do a post and then delete it . . . don't need SLC poking around in my gem field ;)

My GIA report did in fact come back, and two jewelers have both said it's wrong simpy based on their own testing or their visual. But more than this, is was DEAD wrong. They listed the stone I sent as an oval . . . now I don't know about you, but in school I learned ovals and circles are ROUND, with no sides and no corners . . .

The stone listed as "oval" had four main sides, two slightly shorter than the other, and 4 very short sides, a total of 8 sides and 8 corners . . . what I would call an emerald cut. The PHOTO of the stone is included on the report.

I have a sneaking suspicion that they didn't really test the stones, they just glanced at them and called it a day.

The stones in question are 'white" (translucent) but looking at them in diffused light they show a stunning play of color similar to the glow of a sunrise or sunset, with pinks, oranges and yellows that flash and humm inside the stone, each slightly different. They leave me breathless. I am a huge fan of colored gems, especially tanzanite and tourmaline. But those are colored stones, these are not, but they absolutely GLOW from within. And there is NOTHING online about them (so far). This leads me to believe it is either new, or had been extremely uncommon until recently.

(And to the skeptical SLC hosts reading this - I know you do- it is 100% without a doubt nature made, not man made. some have inclusions of various kinds and all are unique, as well as having varying selective gravities but the same refractive index)

I have one particular mineral group I am leaning toward and spent countless hours studying online (instead of working... ), but really the ONLY way to 100% identify it is with a chemical analysis. So that's my next step is to find a company willing to do this (GIA does, but was apparently not willing).

Once my suspicions are confirmed, I will patent a name for the mineral, "Nurielite" - "nuriel" is aramaic for Fire of God, a * name for the stones. And then re-submit my test results to GIA, and demand a full refund, lol, and ask for the new classification of the mineral under my patented name :) (there are other steps to go through to register your name with the international mineral group, but you get the general idea.)

And then I'll tell you what they are selling online as, and to buy as many as you can while you can ;D

And, if I didn't feel the stones were that spectaular, I wouldn't go to all this trouble, nor spend all the money to collect them.

I cannot say what GIA listed them as, for it will give the vultures a chance to try to undermind my research and possibly do their own and take over the supply chain.
0 x