Bella, This is what it is.

CaribbeanGirl

Bella, This is what it is.

Post by CaribbeanGirl » 10 months ago

The blood disorder is called Herditary Hemochromatosis, or iron overload.
1 x

Dolores

Re: Bella, This is what it is.

Post by Dolores » 10 months ago

My husband had this when he came home from Viet Nam he had to go once a week to give blood but they couldn't use the blood because of iron overload, this went on for 5 years. Didnt mean to go on.God Bless
1 x

Bella

Post by Bella » 10 months ago

CarribeanGirl, I think FarmMom was wondering what kind of blood disorder you have. My mother has to give blood every 90 days to keep her red blood cell count from getting too high. I don’t know what the condition is called exactly. My mom is 88 and is healthy as can be and very active, she is more like 87 going on 37!
1 x

FarmMom

Post by FarmMom » 10 months ago

CaribbeanGirl wrote:
10 months ago
The blood disorder is called Herditary Hemochromatosis, or iron overload.
Interesting. So it's a recessive disorder, you and your husband both have to carry one copy of the gene for your son to have both and show it. But it affects men at a younger age much worse.

Were you having symptoms and the doctors decided to treat you or were you just diagnosed and the doctors wanted to be proactive and treat before it showed issues?

I have to watch iron intake in my horses because they are sensitive to too much iron. I filter their water (hard water) and check iron levels in their hay and any supplements. It sounds like you have to do the same :(
1 x

Bella

Post by Bella » 10 months ago

FarmMom, I’m so glad you take good care of your horses there’s so many who do not. I sure do miss my Quarter horse gelding. Give ALL your horses an extra hug from me! Horses require so much time and dedication, but it’s so worth it!
2 x

FarmMom

Post by FarmMom » 10 months ago

Bella wrote:
10 months ago
FarmMom, I’m so glad you take good care of your horses there’s so many who do not. I sure do miss my Quarter horse gelding. Give ALL your horses an extra hug from me! Horses require so much time and dedication, but it’s so worth it!
will do Bella :)
1 x