Since when is 10k gold solid gold?

Bella

Since when is 10k gold solid gold?

Post by Bella » 10 months ago

Yep, that’s what Cheryl is saying selling these god awful looking 10k gold neck chains! One was 44 grams. They sell this stuff making it sound like you’re getting a great deal for the gram weight. NOT! Yeah and I got gold mine I’ll sell you. Really people fall for this?
6 x

christee

Re: Since when is 10k gold solid gold?

Post by christee » 10 months ago

And then wonder if they mean solid gold chain (not hollow). When I see their expensive gold chain presentations most of the time they don't mention if it's hollow or not. I bought a thin rope chain from them and discovered it was hollow and extremely fragile, broke after wearing 2x. Sent it back. Now I cringe when they present thin gold chains at a smackdown price lol.
4 x

Bella

Christie, I remember when I bought some gold chains (back in the 80s) when Dan Dennis who was at HSN at the time said always ask if your chains are solid or hollow. I was grateful to him for that, so many don’t realize it matters! I hate hollow gold neck chains, sorry Shop LC.
2 x

christee

Post by christee » 10 months ago

I was a young adult in the 90's and loved watching HSN, especially Dan. This was back when callers could speak with the host live on air. Entertaining lol. I learned a lot about precious metal and gems from him. Bought nice 14k rings (emerald and ruby in identical settings) and other pieces.
2 x

Bella

Christee, I remember those days when you could speak to the host live on air. I actually got to speak to Suzanne Somers once and Farrah Fawcett! I agree that Dan was a wealth of good advice and knowledge on buying jewelry and gemstones.
2 x

Shopper7192

Post by Shopper7192 » 10 months ago

Cheryl has been saying that a lot on her presentations of gold chains and my husband who will be watching with me is always saying NO that is way overpriced and it is NOT solid gold. One night this past week I believe she was on saying that and someone called her out on it and she had to apologize about it on air. Only 24K is solid gold. (99.9%)

Someone else (cant remember who was hosting/presenting :?: ) was on at a different time and actually showed the percentage of gold chart live on air so that the customers would know just how "solid"(meaning gold content) the gold pieces really are. Most don't even know that 10K is only about 41 percent gold with 51 percent actually being SILVER and copper, zinc and nickel added for the remaining percentage.. I really think that customers need to be educated about how much "GOLD" is really in each karat of whatever they are buying or investing in.. (Just my humble opinion) ;)
3 x

FarmMom

Post by FarmMom » 10 months ago

Correct.

When she says "solid" she means not hollow. MOST of their items are actually hollow. I cross compare to my favorite "A" site which often has better prices than SLC. I bought my husband's singapore chain from the A site for $300 less than what SLC ever offered theirs.

I SAW that 44gram chain you mention . . . a palma. It was indeed solid, as all the hollow link ones online were about 22 grams. I found a similar solid chain online on the A site, for $800 LESS than what SLC was selling theirs on a close out deal.

Running the gold numbers though, for the 10K gold price per gram you were still paying over $1000 what the gold was WORTH, so unless you hold onto your chain for 30 years, you will never see a return on that investment. Ina sense, if gold is the way you want to go, buying gold bars or coins is better (less markup), but old coins likely the best as they are often worth MORE than the price per gram in gold. My husband just saw one gold coin go to auction and sell for $300,000, it was worth maybe $1,000 in gold only.

But yes, I would NEVER buy a gold chain from SLC due to their return policy, and as stated in a much old post on gold chains, only buy chains with BIG LINKS if you plan to get a daily wear chain. Big links can be repaired by a jeweler, small links or weaves cannot.
3 x

lah2001

Post by lah2001 » 10 months ago

FarmMom wrote:
10 months ago
Correct.

When she says "solid" she means not hollow. MOST of their items are actually hollow. I cross compare to my favorite "A" site which often has better prices than SLC. I bought my husband's singapore chain from the A site for $300 less than what SLC ever offered theirs.
I'd like to know who your "A" site is. Too bad we don't have direct messaging on this forum. Can you mention them, or give any hints?
1 x

Bella

My guess is Amazon. AKA “ the big river” site.
1 x

lah2001

Post by lah2001 » 10 months ago

Bella wrote:
10 months ago
My guess is Amazon. AKA “ the big river” site.
Good guess! Duh to me!
1 x