Alexandrite anyone?

Bella

Alexandrite anyone?

Post by Bella » 9 months ago

Is it just me or what? Tony and Jessica are showing a Alexandrite bracelet… and I’m sorry it’s just plain ugly! I have seen Alexandrite on other channels in a much higher grade and I still don’t like it. For how much it costs seems like a big nothing to me. I’m always glad when really expensive gemstones just don’t do it for me, such is the case with me on Granditerite, Tanzanite, Moissanite. I know many on here like them and that’s cool, but how many of you really love Alexandrite?
4 x

Lacy

Re: Alexandrite anyone?

Post by Lacy » 9 months ago

Bella, I agree. Alexandrite is a dull greenish looking stone unless you have are in black light then it changes to red. How many people walk around or near a black light. I did get sucked into buying a ring with a small stone years ago. It wasn't alot of $$ then. I don't wear it. I think it is on the top 10 stones list. So I guess the collectors would buy this stone.
5 x

MaeWest1953

Post by MaeWest1953 » 9 months ago

Lacy and Bella......

I am all about the bling and if something is dull I have no use for it
Of course I agree with you both, especially about that Grandidierite
One time I bought a pendant and it was just so boring, I knew I shouldn't have done it but the optics in the presentation wooed me, teehee

I tried selling it at a street faire and couldn't get $10.00 for it :(
Will admit that before I watched ShopLC I never heard of most of the stones they sell....
However I am not a jewelry person that much but I do like pretty stones when I see one
4 x

FarmMom

Post by FarmMom » 9 months ago

It's definitely a quality issue. Real color change gemstones of excellent quality will change color just changing rooms or indoors vs outdoors. Putting a BLACK LIGHT on a stone DOES NOT make it color changing. In fact, MOST STONES will change color under a black light including diamonds and zircons, but also most feldspars such as moonstones and labradorites and many others.

The new alexandrite do come from India and they are a single source mine, but it's an issue just like with the Zultanite vs turkizite . . . same deal, SLC gets the junk but the real stuff is much different.

I bought a cheap one for my daughter, it was her birthstone. They ARE expensive so even finding them in jewelry stores it's almost always the created kind. In this rare instance I was happy to find a lower quality cheap one for her. But, I would rather have the real than the created for myself ;)

But I would much rather have something NICE for myself and not something xcheap.

Same with grandidierite. It's actully a lovely blue green stone that's clear and bright. Like sapphires . . . SLC sapphires and rubies are the same, milky, dull and included (and filled). The real deal is much more expensive but far nicer to look at on the hand :)
3 x

MayFlowers

Post by MayFlowers » 9 months ago

My daughter's birthday is in June so I get to decide between buying her pearls, moonstone, or alexandrite, or all of the above! So far I just have a collection of pearls for her.
2 x

FarmMom

MayFlowers wrote:
9 months ago
My daughter's birthday is in June so I get to decide between buying her pearls, moonstone, or alexandrite, or all of the above! So far I just have a collection of pearls for her.
LC has greatly reduced the pricing on their alexandrite, so it IS actually affordable. trying to find something not too hideous is another matter, lol.

I love Moonstone myself, and there are SO many different kinds and colors! I would almost suggest the alexandrite though, since most places do not carry it and that's ONE nice thing about SLC . . .
1 x

Lanai

Post by Lanai » 9 months ago

I have only actually seen the Alexandrite that SHOPLC has offered and I agree although collectable it is awfully ugly. Not even the smoke and mirror camera tricks can make it look pretty. I don't like Moissanite either although I know many love it. I returned the couple of their pieces that I tried out, they looked fake, like cut glass. I didn't even buy anything huge just 1-2 C in earrings and ring. Never purchased any from other companies so maybe it doesn't always look that way but what I received did.
2 x

Serge

Post by Serge » 9 months ago

I’m so glad to see that it’s not just me that doesn’t like Alexandrite or Grandidierite. I’m just like my mom was and I’m not going to buy something I don’t think is pretty no matter how rare it is. I wish I didn’t like Tanzanite but I must admit that from the first time I saw it on a home shopping network in 2003 I fell in love with it. I’m just glad that I bought my good Tanzanite before it got so crazy and overpriced.
1 x

Bella

Post by Bella » 9 months ago

Good for you Serge for getting in on the Tanzanite early! My mother and I were at an estate jewelry auction back in the early nineties and there was a lot of Tanzanite items. I told my mom(who knows nothing about gemstones) to buy up what you want cause the prices in the coming years are going up. She purchased 2 really nice large rings and thanks me to this day for my suggestion. Oh and Grandidierite the stone that looks like it was washed up on the beach… sea glass!
1 x

FarmMom

I also had seen it back in 2002 on a shopping network, a lavendar violet, and fell in love. The one I have now is a rich deep blue, but I'm still glad I got one. VERY few people out here sell it. I might get one or two stones to set for my jewelry store though simply BECAUSE no one sells it ;) Wish I had a bigger budget though so I could load up NOW, lol

That's also why I began buying mass loads of this unknown stone . . . I know if it caught my eye as unusual, it will catch on as a new hot gemstone one day. Once I know what it is, I'll let you know so you guys can get yours too before it jumps in price!
0 x