Back after 7 months!

Gulfwaterlady

Back after 7 months!

Post by Gulfwaterlady » 10 months ago

I have tried to post again and again without any success. This time I got a page on post preferences, all the boxes had already been checked so I just clicked on Submit. I was then on a page where it said 'Post A New Topic' and I was astounded it worked. Seven months ago, I only posted twice. I said I was a new member and talked about all the loose gemstones I have purchased over the years through tv shopping channels. Fast forward 25 years and I cannot sell them, about 200.
I wanted to become a gemologist. I was buying one of each gemstone I heard of. Due to the cost, I did not always buy one carat or larger, which was not wise. I studied and read as much as I could. I then looked for a gemologist school.
I did it all backwards. I should have looked into the school first. It was either NY or CA. There were no online courses then. I lived in the Midwest then and could not afford to move and live there, tuition was incredibly expensive. So my dream was over.
I didn't think I had broken the forum guidelines but I had no idea why I could no longer post anything.
But, I have really enjoyed reading about everything that has been discussed. Wow, some of it becomes high spirited and some really humorous.
I have found out info on my gemstone collection but right now I just wanted to thank you for allowing me to follow along with all of you.
11 x

MaeWest1953

Re: Back after 7 months!

Post by MaeWest1953 » 10 months ago

WELCOME BACK GULFWATERLADY......

You have gone through what many of us have....we couldn't get in here at all
For me it took almost 5 months to get back in the beginning of last year and I was conversing with another gal named Summer71 who was out too
We couldn't figure out what we had done to be banned but then some good folks were getting banned for no good reason at all back then

Yes, this place has been fun and drama filled too but we are still enjoying our regulars who love to chat about all things ShopLC and other channels
10 x

FarmMom

Post by FarmMom » 10 months ago

Oh! and welcome back!
8 x

colljoe

Post by colljoe » 10 months ago

Gulfwaterlady wrote:
10 months ago
I said I was a new member and talked about all the loose gemstones I have purchased over the years through tv shopping channels. Fast forward 25 years and I cannot sell them, about 200.
Gulfwaterlady I have had great luck selling my loose stones at rock and gem shows to Vendors. Just look up local rock and gem shows and I am sure they will pop up in your area. Also contact your local rock clubs. Many of their members may be interested. Some vendors make their own jewelry and use these loose stones as accent stones in their custom pieces. Sell at a group price, don't lose money, and I am sure you will do okay. Plus the added bonus of enjoying the rock and gem show.
6 x

BostonIrish

Post by BostonIrish » 10 months ago

Welcome Back.🤗
5 x

FarmMom

Post by FarmMom » 10 months ago

weird . . . I had posted a comment to you and it's GONE (hence my second post I had done right after it as "welcome back".)

I don't even remember what I had said!

I didn't even KNOW they could DELETE comments from posts! And WHYYYYYY Has TP's posts NOT been deleted or BANNED?! I didn't even post anything BAD or NEGATIVE in my comment? :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

I am a bit confused though, you say you cannot sell the stones? Like direct? or you cannot sell as mounted jewelry? I know most jewelers here will not buy loose stones from locals (usually), but many will buy jewelery from local crafters if it's high enough quality.

And I'm sorry about your experience . . .
4 x

Gulfwaterlady

Post by Gulfwaterlady » 10 months ago

Thanks for your welcome and to all of you. I bought gemstones to study and I wanted just one of each. I was not concerned about carat size. So, my collection, of 202, has a few stones even the two gemologists I went to see had never seen or heard of but they are very small. One gemologist, in his 60's, took me to his safe and showed me his collection of 1995 gemstones. He can't find anyone to buy them because they are more like samples, like mine. He graduated from the GIA school in NY. He contacted them. He was told to donate them to the school for student study. They would evaluate them and give him a receipt for tax purposes.
I was disappointed.
I have a 14k gold ring with 5 alexandrite .20 carat stones. The stones are set in a rather ornate band setting. It has always been a favorite of mine. I bought it in the early1990's from a shopping channel that went off the air long ago. The stones have fantastic color change and great clarity. I have never had it appraised so I asked him to appraise it. He gave me a shock. The stones are synthetic! I was now very, very disappointed.
I have had the same jeweler for 20 years. His daughter is taking online gemology classes and doing very well. He has agreed to set some of my best stones, about 1 to 1.25 carats, in gold for me to purchase my collection for his daughter. I really don't know if I am making a good deal or not as I have only the gem in it's plastic container with the name, size, and carat weight. I have no receipts due to a family member with dementia who threw them in the trash. I didn't even know they were gone for a couple of years.
But, after almost 30 years of stones just sitting in jars, I am happy to pass them on to someone who was absolutely thrilled to receive them.
5 x

Serge

Post by Serge » 10 months ago

Welcome back Gulfwaterlady and don’t feel bad because the same thing happened to me when I first started. I tried to think if I had said anything wrong but didn’t think I had. About 7 months later all of a sudden I was able to log on. Maybe it’s something they do when we first start but I don’t think so.
2 x

Catwoman48

Post by Catwoman48 » 10 months ago

I have a 14k gold ring with 5 alexandrite .20 carat stones. The stones are set in a rather ornate band setting. It has always been a favorite of mine. I bought it in the early1990's from a shopping channel that went off the air long ago. The stones have fantastic color change and great clarity. I have never had it appraised so I asked him to appraise it. He gave me a shock. The stones are synthetic! I was now very, very disappointed.
@Gulfwaterlady, I am shocked! I know exactly which jeweler you are talking about. It was the guy on ShopAtHomeTV whose NYC family had been in the business since the 1800s. Can’t remember the exact name now, but it had “1886” or something similar in the name. He was using some of the original molds, lots of fine milgrain
Last edited by Catwoman48 10 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Catwoman48

Post by Catwoman48 » 10 months ago

Sorry, keeps eating my post!! Ignore the end of the last one!

As I was saying, this jeweler was famous for his fine milgrain work and was allegedly using original family designs from the 1800s. I was fascinated with his alexandrites - as I am not with SLC’s - but never bought one. I couldn’t afford much in the 90s and only own a couple of his low-end pieces. I am astounded to find that he was selling fake stones!
1 x