Big Bling

Greeneyesbluesighs

Big Bling

Post by Greeneyesbluesighs » 10 months ago

When I first started shopping at ShopLC very often I was drawn to the big and bold, especially in rings. However today I look at my pieces like that and think to myself “they look like something from a bubblegum machine” even though they are real gemstones.
Now the big and bold ones I have are not anywhere near the size of what they have been showing here lately. The sizes of some of these rings and pendants are frankly obnoxiously big and rather gauche.
Some of the styles of the big pieces are pretty and the stones are lovely but wow do they HAVE to be so HUMONGOUS? I was tempted a couple of times but a ring with a 30mm x 18mm stone is just too much, over the top for me.
I guess my tastes have changed. I don’t like the tiny, sweet and petite either. Rather a Goldilocks size, something just right.

Do you all like those gigantic pieces?
4 x

Gulfwaterlady

Re: Big Bling

Post by Gulfwaterlady » 10 months ago

I have noticed really huge stones in the triplet quartz. I have a good size hand. I wear a size 9 ring. I like a 10x8 gemstone. These mammoth size quartz are not attractive. I hear the trend is going toward minimalist jewelry. I knew the style would come back. I never wore it because I am too large for it. It just gets lost on me. But, if it is coming back in style, Shop LC is going in totally the wrong direction.
2 x

FarmMom

Post by FarmMom » 10 months ago

Gulfwaterlady wrote:
10 months ago
I have noticed really huge stones in the triplet quartz. I have a good size hand. I wear a size 9 ring. I like a 10x8 gemstone. These mammoth size quartz are not attractive. I hear the trend is going toward minimalist jewelry. I knew the style would come back. I never wore it because I am too large for it. It just gets lost on me. But, if it is coming back in style, Shop LC is going in totally the wrong direction.
I don't think SLC has EVER had their hand o the pulse of what's trendy in jewelry. They rely on Modani for that. You can always tell a Modani piece because it does look "current". However I'm not paying big bucks for someone to produce what should be produced anyway.

I agree Greeneyes, I think they are trying to cater to ladies who hope to go to a galla somewhere or a costume ball. I think that would be the 1% of us. Pretty tough sell.

With that said, my mother in law wears big gaudy items anytime she's out of the house, lol, although nothing we have gotten her from SLC . . .

My "biggest" ring is a santafe turquoise ring, but western jewelry is supposed to be big anyway. I also have a giant blue quartz triplet I bought just in case I ever get to the tropics one day, hahaha.

I do like the look of the minimalist jewelry, but for me it's just not right. I want something that's going to command a bit of attention from across the room. I don't dress nice very often, so if I manage to pull it off for a special event (even then it's hit or miss running out of time to get ready), I WANT people to take note, hahaha.

But I do feel much of what they create is a bit obnoxious. Especially the Sleeping beauty items. And anything multi-colored is just too much.
1 x

FarmMom

Post by FarmMom » 10 months ago

Today they had GIANT RHINESTONE FLY NECKLACES.

No joke. It was a massive 3" fly that was a pendant or a brooch. They called it a "bee" but if I recall they don't even have bees in India (like China) so they obviously have no idea what one looks like. Those were FLIES.
4 x

Gulfwaterlady

Post by Gulfwaterlady » 10 months ago

I saw huge necklaces and matching 3" earrings in crystals (rhinestones) selling like crazy. They make them in super bright colors. But, they were under $10. Some people are looking for big and bold and cheap. On Fridays, during clearance, all of the under $10, even $8 stuff seems to be on in the night owl time, around 1am. Later in the day, higher priced item are sold. Have the programmers determined that women who watch tv in the wee hours of the morning have a life style that tends to come alive late at night?
I have read many of you mention watching hosts that have the owl night shift but I don't read about you having to look flashy ( good description). Rather, you have mentioned a couple of hosts that are on night owl time, quite often, that who you like. So, I think there are two different audiences. I have written many times that the male hosts, particularly nice looking, are on the night owl shift. One really good looking man never seems to be on later in the day or early evening. Does a host get to choose? Or is management trying to please a certain audience. I wrote about him being on during the day or early evening, many times, but to no avail.
1 x

Bella

Post by Bella » 10 months ago

FarmMom wrote:
10 months ago

No joke. It was a massive 3" fly that was a pendant or a brooch. They called it a "bee" but if I recall they don't even have bees in India (like China) so they obviously have no idea what one looks like. Those were FLIES.
They need to come up with a matching “manure” brooch!
5 x

MaeWest1953

Post by MaeWest1953 » 10 months ago

FarmMom wrote:
10 months ago

FarmMom......you are killing me :lol: :lol: :lol:

@ Greeneyesbluesighs......I love big and bold although I can't afford the real stones.....I was able to buy one time a huge fresh water Pearl nuggets necklace (I think there are 6 of them) and I LOVE IT
It actually gets compliments when I wear it from people who I wouldn't think like gaudy jewelry :)
However it is really feminine and bold at the same time :D

I have MANY Rhinestone statement necklaces and earrings from the under $10 shows
Being a plus sized gal I can wear all of that and I love the stuff ShopLC has provided
1 x

IamCH

Post by IamCH » 10 months ago

If the item is large, it has to be something of quality, and look REAL. I have a large lilac quartz ring but the sterling silver is nicely decorated, and the gem facets are well done.
Otherwise, I feel odd wearing an extra large jewelry item. Even though I'm tall and wear a size 9 ring (or 10 on index finger) I can't wear clownish items. I have long fingers, and my knuckles are made to play the piano, to give you an idea. I can wear stacked rings well.
2 x

IamCH

Post by IamCH » 10 months ago

Minimalist jewelry has been around for a while (2 years at least). It's been on Etsy.com for a while. Yet, I see lots of bead bracelets that use 8mm to 12mm beads, too.
I had made a few bracelets in 2021 with the 3mm and 4 mm beads, but anything smaller was too difficult by hand. They were selling for as much as $170.00 using semi-precious stones, and higher for items like aquamarine and ruby. Now they are much less.
I like small jewelry but some of it is too small, especially since the cost of materials is much less.
2 x

FarmMom

Post by FarmMom » 9 months ago

IamCH wrote:
10 months ago
Minimalist jewelry has been around for a while (2 years at least). It's been on Etsy.com for a while. Yet, I see lots of bead bracelets that use 8mm to 12mm beads, too.
I had made a few bracelets in 2021 with the 3mm and 4 mm beads, but anything smaller was too difficult by hand. They were selling for as much as $170.00 using semi-precious stones, and higher for items like aquamarine and ruby. Now they are much less.
I like small jewelry but some of it is too small, especially since the cost of materials is much less.
Hi Iam and welcome! Just a few things to point out: you CANNOT mention specific stores and ESPECIALLY websites WITH a link. You might do best to go edit that out or you will get banned by admin. Not our rules, that's SHop LC for you. Not so long ago they had a MASSIVE wipe of most forum members and essentially destroyed the relationship with loyal customers (lower sales on TV is also reflecting this).

Where did you get your beads from? The E store? You do have to watch that store, most are operated by "flippers" who buy from someone else and then turn around and re-sell it. Often it's fake and they will insist it's genuine, or they will have no actual knowledge of treatments.

The same with SLC too -- have the gemstone beads I have bought from them were actually fake. Which, $15 for fake beads isn't the end of the world, but you could find the same elsewhere for far less and MUCH less headache, and I CERTAINLY would not be able to sell fake gem necklaces to any of my customers and maintain good standing.

You also mentioned lilac quartz. Did you know that 99% of lilac quartz on the market is actually fake? REAL lilac quartz (lavendar quartz) will have plenty of inclusions in it, while the fake will be fully clean. Unlike amethysts and citrine which are formed in large "voids" in the earth (geodes and caves), lilac quartz along with Nurielite (aka, "girasol quartz") is formed BETWEEN rocks (much like rose quartz), and does not form crystal points. They are mineral soup, and have the inclusions to reflect that.

@MaeWest1953
I have some rhinestone items too, but sadly they don't set them in sterling, which even our local mall shop will do for the "prom wear" items. I bought a few pieces for 'giggles" because they were under $10, and of course a few items for the dogs I'm hoping to make work this fall for puppy pictures ;D

@Gulfwaterlady
I hear you on that, also I think the West coast which is 3 hrs behind is technically on the "night owl" schedule, so that might play a part as well. A LOT of the retired folk I know ARE on weird schedules. Not awake until 1pm and go to bed about 1am or so. Out here that's pretty tough since most places are no longer open 24hrs, not even burger stores.
1 x