Sad but true!

Bella

Sad but true!

Post by Bella » 8 months ago

When I woke up this morning I thought let’s see what’s on Shop LC. Before I turned on the TV in my head I’m thinking… Last week was diamonds for a smackdown and I know there was a Sleeping Beauty one… so it must be gold! So I turned on the TV and lo and behold a gold giant behemoth of a neck chain for over $2100! It was just god awful ugly to me. Who buys this? People can’t afford groceries, new cars, housing, rent you name it, and they put this on TV for a Saturday? Shop LC you do not “get” your customer base. They are out of touch with most of their customers!
7 x

MaeWest1953

Re: Sad but true!

Post by MaeWest1953 » 8 months ago

@Bella.....

You are so right about all that Gold being sold
Especially when they claim that "you are wearing your wealth"
Who are they kidding? only the shallow customers fall for the typical sales pitch :lol: :lol:

I was watching the other day and I forgot who was on but the chart was shown about how much Gold is in 10kt, 14kt, 18kt etc.
Well there is NO WEALTH in 10kt in my observations
Yet some of these Host are acting like they are "all that" by bragging on the Gold they have been purchasing :lol:

Not impressed and so bored with all of the bragging and redundant spew on investing in Gold
What really caught my eyes was the color difference in the low grade Gold compared to the higher grades!!

Of course most folks can't afford to buy expensive jewelry in this banana republic state our country is in :evil:
That is why the under $10 Fridays are the most watched show and the deals are fun to get :)
These Hosts keep spewing how they want to make sure everyone has ShopLC Gold in their collection, what a joke!

When I was able to afford Gold I didn't run out and buy it, I am not that impressed with it......to each their own
I never saw that $2,100 necklace you got to see but I like big and bold however some of the bigger pieces I have seen in Gold can be over the top!
Last edited by MaeWest1953 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Bella

Hi Mae! Hope you’re doing well. I myself don’t really care for the higher gold content of 18kt and above because it looks so brassy looking, but I do have a strange story about a gold necklace.

I have a huge 18kt Victorian gold necklace that’s like 2 inches wide that was found in a box of old pictures and just plain junk in my grandmothers attic after she died.(my grandmother was a pack rat) No one thought it to be real so it stayed in the box with old photos for another 35 years. I had seen it briefly and thought it was cheap costume jewelry because my grandmother would never have thrown a piece of jewelry in a cardboard box. Well… after my father passed away in 2018 my mother and I went through a bunch of his old photos, military papers etc. Guess what? That necklace appeared! I told my mother that I had seen that years ago and thought it strange to be thrown in with a bunch of photos and paperwork. She said if you want it you can have it, it’s ugly. Well I cleaned up the piece of jewelry and discovered it was a Tiffanys’ piece! It’s over 50 grams in weight and I have not had it appraised which I should. When I told my mother she laughed and said I cannot imagine where or whom it came from. I guess I will never know.
4 x

MaeWest1953

Holy Moly Bella!!

My goodness what a wonderful story and to think that everyone thought it was just junk jewelry :o
Now that is a piece of "wealth" and I can't even imagine what the appraisal would end up being....oh dear!
I am jealous....lol

Hope you are having a great weekend, I am being lazy so far
I know you must be keeping your precious memento safely wrapped
Wouldn't it be fun to be able to find out how she acquired that piece? of course you might never but it would be exciting to hear
4 x

FarmMom

Post by FarmMom » 8 months ago

Oh Heck!

Maybe it was a gift from a secret lover! I am 100% betting that's the case, and that's why it was hidden away!

I think in this case, the VALUE would not be in the gold per se, but the NAME itself. I've seen a few appraised at Antiques Road show (definitely try to hit one with that!) and my guess would be upwards of $50,000. And really, you NEED to get it appraised and added to your insurance . . . it would be AWFUL to have it lost in a house fire/storm or stolen.

My mom suppossedly had a GIANT Columbian emerald (from when she lived with a VERY wealthy family in Columbia after high school), she had taken it to a jeweler to be cleaned and appraised and the whole shop BURNED DOWN. Since it hadn't been appraised, they cut her a small check for her loss.

I also saw the gold show, and the giant necklace. I have seen similar items worn by the more "well to do" folk out here, but that's the PROBLEM. WEARING something does not MAKE you something. Me buying that necklace does NOT make me look higher class or more wealthy. Actually, people would be more likely to assume it's fake.

It's like perfume. Many days I am covered in dirt and tractor grease. Am I going to wear a very high end designer perfume when I go out (not that I go out, but just proposing)? NO. I am going to wear something that smells amazing, but more earth centered.

I fear that most of those buying that necklace are hoping to feel more important . . . but something like that goes with the whole package . . . the fancy car, the fancy clothes, the designer sunglasses and bags, etc.

And so you ask yourself . . . those that REALLY are the type to be wearing such luxury, do they ACTUALLY WATCH Shop LC? Or do they stroll down to the designer shop for the "full experience"?
4 x

Bella

I’m not sure the piece was even my grandmothers’ she lived outside a very small town on a farm, her family was poor. When my grandfather met her he bought her parents farm as well. The family joke was he saw the farm and wanted to buy it and she came with it! She was 26 at the time so was considered a spinster and my grandfather was 28. A up and coming entrepreneur and businessman at the time buying up farmland. My family still owns the farmland to this day. However… my grandmother had an aunt that never married but had several “boyfriends” that were well to do farmers and when they died they willed their land to her. She died a wealthy spinster! So who knows maybe the necklace was hers. My grandmother did acquire some of her items upon her death, some gorgeous glassware and Victorian crystal cut glass pieces that my mother has. So I think it’s a mystery that will never be solved.
4 x

MaeWest1953

Howdy FarmMom and Bella.....

My gosh both of your stories are fabulous!
I am with you FarmMom on the Tiffany name bringing the value to the necklace....that is what got me excited when she was telling us about it
You are so funny with your cologne thoughts....lol
But yes Forum members! FarmMom actually drives a very cool tractor when she is baling Hay!!

She also has soooooooo many other talents too :)
I am jealous!
What a sad story to learn about the Emerald....that is so heartbreaking :(
We can only imagine what wonderful things were lost back in the days when many items were not sitting in a bank vault etc.

Bella I love the story about the whole thought of how your Grandmother got the necklace....
What an interesting life and heck, your Grandmother's aunt sounds like hers was too......I wouldn't have minded being a rich spinster
3 x