Surprise~~~I just learned from Marva that Platinum does "turn" Grayish after several years :(

MaeWest1953

Surprise~~~I just learned from Marva that Platinum does "turn" Grayish after several years :(

Post by MaeWest1953 » 7 months ago

Good evening members......

So Marva is on right now selling Bali jewelry and she is bragging about her trip to Bali etc. in her usual dramatic way....LOL
She started comparing Bali Silver to other Silvers and mentioned Platinum
I am some what surprised to hear that Platinum turns after several years because any time I am watching a presentation of that stuff the Hosts always proclaim "it's the most expensive and best material you can own"
They go on and on about all the great qualities of it, how it never fades, gets distorted or discolored
So because of all these promises this is their excuse for the Platinum being higher priced

Do any of you own Platinum? and is this true, that it gets discolored and gray?
What also struck me was her telling us how Bali Silver is much better than the Mexican or Spanish Silver, that it NEVER will get dull and is much more pliable than the two above named Silvers
So if this is correct than great.....however she kept putting the Spanish and Mexican Silver on the back burner like they are sub-standard....teehee

I found that to be weird and not so professional since I know that ShopLC sells Southwestern items and I am not sure where their Silver comes from
The Bali merch is stunning....I wish I could afford that Amethyst Goddess pendant!!
However I was truly shocked to hear about Platinum and had to share this
I will never own any but the way Platinum is so built up in presentations I am sad in hearing that it has problems later and that is disappointing :(
4 x

Lacy

Re: Surprise~~~I just learned from Marva that Platinum does "turn" Grayish after several years :(

Post by Lacy » 7 months ago

Hi Mae,
I never heard that bali jewelry was made with bali silver. Did she say the silver was from bali? I didn't see the show. All the descriptions say sterling silver. Marva didn't mention Italy, did she? Most of my sterling is from italy. She is just probably upselling to sell more, Sajen can be expensive line.

When you want the brilliant shine of platinum or a look that really catches the light. Platinum and rhodium is highly reflective and will add luster and shine to your silver or white gold pieces.

I have mexican silver bracelets from 20 years ago. They are still shiny but it is softer and more bendable than sterling from Italy. I never put my sterling in jewelry cleaners if it had a coating or not. I just use a polishing cloth or mild soap and water. Sometimes I use white toothpaste. Any sterling with a platinum or rhodium coating will eventually wear off if you don't take care of it. My pieces with platinum or rhodium have not changed.
3 x

MaeWest1953

Re: Surprise~~~I just learned from Marva that Platinum does "turn" Grayish after several years :(

Howdy Lacy.....

Hope all is well with you :)
I am glad that you brought up Italy, she NEVER mentioned Italian Silver but kept referring to the beautiful shine and quality of Bali Silver
Of course she had that Mr. Sajen on via the phone as a "special guest" so maybe that is why she was going on and on!!

Leave it to the drama Queen to do that....she was like a person vying for an acting job, using her hands constantly to "emphasize" her trip, her knowledge and all things Bali, Bali, Bali....lol
I felt bad when she started in on Mexican and Spanish Silver :(
In fact I have never really heard of a lot of Silver being used in jewelry from Spain (usually it's from Italy or Mexico) but she kept saying Spanish along with the Mexican Silver

As for me, I have nice pieces from Mexico and they still are pretty :)
Just like you said your pieces are....yay!!
Her snobbery was definitely showing during the whole show :o
3 x

FarmMom

Post by FarmMom » 7 months ago

Hi Mae, gosh I seem to miss all the good shows!

I know white gold is covered in rhodium and it does wear off after a few years and is expensive to re-coat. Like Lacy mentioned, it adds that "shine" factor.

From what i'm reading online, high end manufacturers will NOT coat it, but rather they super polish it. This polish takes as long to wear off as the rhodium but ADDS VALUE to the item. Everyone was in consensus that platinum is only plated if you are a lazy jeweler who doesn't take the time needed to do a proper polishing job . . . .

Yes, it can develop a patina, but this is a good thing and not a bad thing, and re-polishing might be much cheaper than re-coating in Rhodium anyway ;)

The bali jewelry items I bought were made in China and India, so I doubt any of it was "Bali" silver. I'm sure it's all just rhodium coated like everything else SLC sells...

I did see a few weeks ago that Marva was in Indonesia . . . unfortunate that she was bragging about it . . .
3 x

Sea

Post by Sea » 7 months ago

Not a fan of watching Marva she always comes across as a snob thinks she is so important and that fake laugh drives me nuts 😂😂😂
3 x

Sea

Post by Sea » 7 months ago

Also she is rude to her co-host a lot too.
2 x

Bella

Post by Bella » 7 months ago

I always thought Bali silver came from Indonesia.

Do we now have different grades of silver? How about different grades of platinum? It’s enough to make your head spin!
4 x

Serge

Post by Serge » 7 months ago

Sea you're exactly right about her and I want to cringe every time she starts to cackle! She can be very rude to other hosts except Matt and with him she seems to kiss his #### and I'm not referring to his face.
3 x

Spooky

Post by Spooky » 7 months ago

MaeWest1953 wrote:
7 months ago
Good evening members......

So Marva is on right now selling Bali jewelry and she is bragging about her trip to Bali etc. in her usual dramatic way....LOL
She started comparing Bali Silver to other Silvers and mentioned Platinum
I am some what surprised to hear that Platinum turns after several years because any time I am watching a presentation of that stuff the Hosts always proclaim "it's the most expensive and best material you can own"
They go on and on about all the great qualities of it, how it never fades, gets distorted or discolored
So because of all these promises this is their excuse for the Platinum being higher priced

Do any of you own Platinum? and is this true, that it gets discolored and gray?
What also struck me was her telling us how Bali Silver is much better than the Mexican or Spanish Silver, that it NEVER will get dull and is much more pliable than the two above named Silvers
So if this is correct than great.....however she kept putting the Spanish and Mexican Silver on the back burner like they are sub-standard....teehee

I found that to be weird and not so professional since I know that ShopLC sells Southwestern items and I am not sure where their Silver comes from
The Bali merch is stunning....I wish I could afford that Amethyst Goddess pendant!!
However I was truly shocked to hear about Platinum and had to share this
I will never own any but the way Platinum is so built up in presentations I am sad in hearing that it has problems later and that is disappointing :(

Hi
Platinum back in the day when it was 10% iridium did change color to a silvery patina. It's very very pretty. Todays 900 plat and 950 plat does not. I have a bunch from my collection over the years and it doesn't change. Probably because the end step in today's platinum is to coat it in rhodium
2 x

MaeWest1953

Sea wrote:
7 months ago
Not a fan of watching Marva she always comes across as a snob thinks she is so important and that fake laugh drives me nuts 😂😂😂
Hi Sea.....

Hope you are doing well, nice to hear from you :)
Boy you are SO CORRECT about what you feel about her!
She reeks of snobbery and the fake laugh is a dead giveaway !
I have to tune down the sound when she is on and the only reason I stay to watch is because there is something that is coming up I want to see

No way would I be watching her otherwise...the fake "I want to help all of our customers" verbiage is so drawn out and tired
That woman could care less about any of us!
0 x