J vs. SLC

Gulfwaterlady

J vs. SLC

Post by Gulfwaterlady » 7 months ago

I haven't watched the J in a long time. I tuned at the beginning of a gold show around 1am. I had forgotten how they bring out so many pieces at one time. The show host has about 4 pieces on all the time. They move from piece to piece so quickly. It boggles your mind after you have watched SLC for so long.
What totally disappointed me was the gold pieces featured in both 10 and 14k, rings, earrings and box chains. They never showed any information. The 2 hosts only measured the length of the earrings but no gram weight. No gram weight given for the rings, no under gallery shown. They never told the mm size of the 20" and 24" 14k gold chains. They never told the gram weight. I only watched 5 pieces being shown, no info was given on any piece.

After hearing the mm size of every jewelry piece on SLC and the gram weight of every piece, under galleries shown for all rings, everything whether silver or gold, I was shocked at the J.

I really enjoyed the pace of the show on J after watching the long drawn out time Shop LC takes. The hosts had a very nice appearance, nice personality and definitely seemed genuine. I would say a definite step up from SLC.

But, how can someone know if the jewelry is worth the price?

You aren't given any information! This I did not like.

I can only assume that the person who shops J is not concerned about cost. They are looking at the beauty of the pieces.

Many years ago I watched the J because all I was interested in was loose gemstones for a gemologist career which never happened. Four hosts on the show really had a wealth of information. I learned a great deal from them. According to the list of hosts they are all still working there after about 20 years. But, they have limited loose stones now and are for the most part jewelry which is much more appealing to customers. I saw two of the turn tables of gemstone jewelry and the pieces looked like much nicer designs and more variety than SLC. But, I don't know what information is given on the gemstones.
Buying jewelry I became much more interested in mm size, gram weight and carat weight. I am still interested in gemstone mining locations. But, I have watched enough for me to know that what SLC says is not always, shall I say......
accurate.

What I did see was two shopping channels that are very, very different from one another!
5 x

FarmMom

Re: J vs. SLC

Post by FarmMom » 7 months ago

I have never watched the J, my TV doesn't pick it up. I DID however watch QVC (or maybe it was HSN, I honestly didn't pay much attention, I only get 2 shopping channels). I was tired of the stupid skin care stuff in the morning and wanted something else.

Needless to say I WAS SHOCKED at how professional everything was! The hosts were QUIET, no SCREAMING, no CACKLING, no "YOUR LOW PRICE!" shouting, no false excitement. IT WAS SOOOOO REFRESHING!

I would LOVE to check out the J, but not a fan of watching on my phone ;)

I agree with you though @Gulfwaterlady I like knowing all the gram weights and such.

Last night SLC presented big bangles in "gold" with cab stones for $19.99. They made such a HUUUUGE raucous about it too! BUT THEY WERE BRASS! Not once did they mention this! Gold over brass. Costume jewelry. EWW, no thanks. But how many poor souls BOUGHT THIS NOT KNOWING? I had to get the info off the website.
2 x

Bella

Post by Bella » 7 months ago

When watching JTV you can go on their website while watching and look up the item and find all the details on it. I never buy from JTV until I see all the specs.
3 x

Rolltide

Post by Rolltide » 7 months ago

Last edited by Rolltide 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Gulfwaterlady

Post by Gulfwaterlady » 7 months ago

In other words, since they don't give the necessary information, we have to find it ourselves. If the viewer is not told the metal the jewelry is made of and you have to investigate like Farm mom did, no one is doing what they should be doing on anything of these shopping channels. I find this really annoying. Where did credibility go?

It's like picking a piece of costume jewelry hanging off a rack in a store.
2 x

Rolltide

Post by Rolltide » 7 months ago

Last edited by Rolltide 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Bella

JTV and Shop Hq websites are so user friendly and I agree with you Rolltide it is so easy to find the items they are airing, makes shopping a breeze. I seldom watch any home shopping shows on TV.
0 x

Druid

Post by Druid » 7 months ago

Professionalism (jtv) versus amateurism ( slc).
3 x

Bella

Druid wrote:
7 months ago
Professionalism (jtv) versus amateurism ( slc).
Good one Druid!
0 x