$1 Auctions

Spinoza

$1 Auctions

Post by Spinoza » 6 months ago

Do others enjoy bidding on the $1 auction items? I’ve gotten some great items for $1 since sometimes I’m the only bidder! But even if I have to compete to be the highest bidder, I make sure not to get so caught up in the bidding that I overpay for something. Using the auto bidder is one way to make sure your bidding is limited, though I personally don’t use it. I prefer to just set a maximum bid in my head and then check periodically to see if I need to increase my bid. But remember to know the item’s worth before you increase your bid. I’ve seen winning bids that were $100 or more over the regular cost of the item! People can get so caught up in winning (especially for gold jewelry) that they forget to stop bidding when it’s no longer a good deal! 🫤
7 x

Jonarts

Re: $1 Auctions

Post by Jonarts » 6 months ago

I have gotten some beautiful items for great prices by using the auction. However, I have also gotten duds too. Yesterday's dud was an aquamarine chip necklace, it arrived with a broken string and in pieces in a small ziploc bag. Don't they inspect items? Obviously this was a return. I tried tying the string pieces together but 4 inches of stones were missing making it too tight and unwearable. I need to send it back and complain, but sending the damaged necklace back costs too much in shipping.
7 x

Bella

Post by Bella » 6 months ago

Seems to me if the item is damaged and you return it they should reimburse you both ways for shipping! You should NOT be paying for return shipping for damaged items, that just wrong!
3 x

Spinoza

Post by Spinoza » 6 months ago

Yes, I’ve gotten a few duds from the auctions too. But I rarely bid over $5 for anything so the good deals outweigh the bad for me. I’ve gotten a lot of items for just $1, including nice rings, bracelets and necklaces. It’s kind of a fun “crapshoot”, especially if you like to bid late at night when fewer people are bidding. Just choose items as wisely as can, know their real value if possible…and make sure shipping isn’t going to turn your winning bids into losers!
4 x

DesertPrayer

Post by DesertPrayer » 6 months ago

I've bid on a few and it is enjoyable. So far all I've scored on is a shungite disc pendant and I put it on my dog's collar, lol.
4 x

FarmMom

Post by FarmMom » 6 months ago

I used to hit the auctions ALLL THE TIME before they added the "charge 3.99 to ship each item" and then the fake bidders who came in only on nice items and would bid absurd amounts.

I use to pick up a LOT of stuff to make my $50 free shipping amount. So many good items including a $300 tourmaline ring for only $50. I could get lots of rings cheap because I have small hands and not too many people need small sizes ;)

But it's not the same, and I haven't even tried looking since it took a dump. The last time was a beautiful pink tourmaline ring I won in rose gold and SLC "lost" it and could not send it out, yet the next day I see it posted on the site yet again ... Hmm, rather convenient another one just "popped" back into inventory.

So no, I not longer bother, and won't bother. And I dumped the idea of using them as a wholesaler for my gift shop, so I no longer have any need for it. I've since signed on with legit wholesale companies that only sell to jewelers.

But if you are finding good stuff, I'm happy for you. I did enjoy it while the pickings were good :)
3 x

BostonIrish

Post by BostonIrish » 6 months ago

Spinoza Don't get me started! There are so many over bidders on auction for years! M bids 100 or more on purses she also overview on many other items. Now there is I who is doing the same I could list 23 names but I can't do that. I would not do max bids people come and just bid you up to have there fun they really don't want to pay that dollar amount. There is also someone that likes Lucy Q and bids crszy. I have been trying to get a bracket for my Granddaughter and forget it way over 100 Gor a little braclet. I hope you all have good luck but in the last 2 months I had 5 items cancelled on me! And like Farm mom said showed up on auction again. Have a great day.🤗
6 x

christee

Post by christee » 6 months ago

I'm hooked on the auctions but didn't take long to figure out it's a waste of time bidding on real gold jewelry and certain gemstones. Overbidding by the same names repeatedly is too obvious.
4 x

BostonIrish

Post by BostonIrish » 6 months ago

Oh Yes same names I don't bid on high dollars no point with over bidders with unlimited budgets.😒🙄
3 x

GemfArMooom

Post by GemfArMooom » 6 months ago

It's worthless budding on anything that normally costs over $100. It seems the SLC auto bots are at their best trying to crank up every dollar they can.

But it has me wondering. I had assumed the Auctions were returned items . . . however if customers are very obviously receiving other's 'returned" items, then....

or perhaps they are just receiving items that had been presented on TV? I don't know..
0 x