Tanzanian Blue Spinel

colljoe

Tanzanian Blue Spinel

Post by colljoe » 4 months ago

I took the plunge about 4 weeks ago and purchased a ring of Tanzanian Blue Spinel. I can't begin to tell you how beautiful it is. The glow of this blue ring is amazing to say the least. I get compliments every time I wear it. I do love any spinel gemstone and they certainly can sparkle like a diamond. This one is a winner!
4 x

TerryTalk

Re: Tanzanian Blue Spinel

Post by TerryTalk » 4 months ago

Thanks for letting us know about the blue spinel! I have always wondered about it and I am really happy that you like it so much! I think it’s beautiful too, and now I just might give it another look! Thanks 🙏
4 x

BostonIrish

Post by BostonIrish » 4 months ago

Sound Beautiful!😊
4 x

Druid

Post by Druid » 4 months ago

I am glad you bought such a beauty. The blue Tanzanian spinel are beautiful ( most of the time they have cobalt diffusion treatment).
5 x

GemfArMooom

Post by GemfArMooom » 4 months ago

Druid wrote:
4 months ago
I am glad you bought such a beauty. The blue Tanzanian spinel are beautiful ( most of the time they have cobalt diffusion treatment).
Yes, this.

I had eye-balled the blue spinel for a time and the price is very reasonable. But as Druid pointed out, SLC uses diffussion on theirs, which is not uncommon with stones like rubies, but very much frowned upon with spinels. (According to articles on the GIA website)

Certainly looking at my gem auction site, they are VERY expensive, running over $600 for 2.5cts with NO treatment. But they also LOOK entirely different too than the SLC stones.

It's like SLC rubies. Their rubies and sapphires are fissure filled, which means they pump them full of colored glass or arcylic to seal the cracks and make them stable and more clear. It drastically lowers the value, and that's why you can buy their rubies for just a few dollars.

Just like with anything from SLC, buy it because you love how it looks, not because anyone tells you it's collectable ;)

And @colljoe I am glad you are happy with your purchase, the color is indeed very striking :)
3 x

TerryTalk

Post by TerryTalk » 4 months ago

Most of the rubies and sapphires on ALL the shopping channels are fissure filled and are reasonably priced (most of the time 😂) and many jewelry stores are selling the same stuff or lab made. Most jade is bleached and dyed and there’s so many treatments with most gemstones. Some treatments are considered part and parcel (excuse the pun 🙄) of the gemstone, like emeralds many times being oiled and tanzanite being heated. No treatments (one reason I love garnets!) definitely helps their value, but as long as the treatments are disclosed and if you like it and can afford it I say go for it! Fissure filled rubies and sapphires are not going to be very valuable, but I do have some that are really beautiful and were very, very reasonable to purchase! Most of us are not going to be able to purchase a large or sometimes even a small untreated ruby or sapphire, but even the treated ones can be really pretty! I DO love collecting untreated gemstones and that’s a very small amount of all the gemstones available—-then add price constraints and it narrows it down even more. But again, if you like it and can afford it, buy it! I usually see that SLC puts FF on their product descriptions—at least the ones I have seen. Enjoy our jewelry and gemstones 💎🙏👏😁
5 x

Bella

Post by Bella » 4 months ago

I know fissure filled rubies always get a bad rap and I get it. I have a 50 carat ruby tennis necklace, 4 or 5 ruby bracelets and several ruby rings and earrings, one ring being over 18 carats, and they are beautiful! Were they expensive? No not really. I certainly cannot afford an unheated Burmese ruby. I have been to Burma and they aren’t cheap there either and I do not like lab created rubies at all. Some filled rubies are better than others. Many many years ago I purchased a 14kt gold ruby ring from JTV that I should have sent back not the best stone and it was fissure filled. I thought that’s how they all look. However every single ruby from Shop LC I have bought has been terrific. Maybe I’m just lucky but you would never know they are fissure filled looking at them. Will I buy more? Probably not. I got what I wanted for a good price and I don’t want to push my luck. How their rubies are now I couldn’t say. I buy what I like and do not care about resale value. I always get tons of compliments when I wear them. Love them for the holidays!
6 x

colljoe

Post by colljoe » 4 months ago

Didn't notice about the treatment on my blue spinel when purchased, but it really is nice so I will enjoy.
I just received my Paraiba Apatite hoop earrings (mentioned in another post) and well, BACK they are going. :(
They are a big disappointment. Have no sparkle (maybe they are dirty), one stone is smaller than the others, and of course it's right in front. And they are off kilter...bent slightly. Just enough that they fit weird and hard to snap in. I wonder if they are a return. I contacted CS to let them know I am sending back due to being defective using their return label and I don't want to be charged for shipping. They said ok, and I saved the chat transcript to make sure I don't get charged for the shipping. What a bummer. Was looking forward to this purchase.
4 x

Bella

Post by Bella » 4 months ago

Knock it off TeamPeridot!!
5 x

Spinoza

Post by Spinoza » 4 months ago

I bought a FF Ruby from SLC and it looks great! It was only about $50 on sale so it’s not some eye-popping gem that makes people swoon. But it’s a real Ruby surrounded by two small rubies in a nice setting and, as I said, it looks great! I really couldn’t find anything better at jewelry stores for the price I paid so I have no complaints. I’m personally not comfortable buying really expensive jewelry without seeing it in person first, but SLC seems to be a good source for nice-looking, inexpensive pieces of jewelry I can wear often/daily without worrying about them. JMO! 😁✌️
6 x