Are you ready for…

Spinoza

Re: Are you ready for…

Post by Spinoza » 4 months ago

Can you tell me or at least hint at where you’ve seen better gold deals if they’re online or from a national chain? 🙏😁

Or are they local jewelers, which are probably 1000 miles from where I live (N.E. Ohio)? ☹️
1 x

Bella

Post by Bella » 4 months ago

Well welcome to the Biggest Year End Clearance Sale! I could hardly wait.
I don’t understand people buying gold now, it’s sooooo high!
3 x

Spinoza

Bella —

The gold on SLC hasn’t been raised (yet) to reflect the recent spikes which is why I’d jump on any good sales SLC has on legit pieces now. Buying them at these old prices AND on sale would be a great deal, IMO. Gold is on the way up so buying at old prices now just about guarantees an easy, immediate profit if you plan to resell your pieces or a nice investment if you plan to keep them. Either way gold is expected to continue to rise overall (allowing for temporary dips) and continue its decades-old pattern of getting more and more expensive/valuable as time goes on. I believe it will hit over $2100/troy ounce in the near future and not only stay in that area but reach $2200+/troy ounce by mid 2024. (JMO, not giving investment advice!)

Bottom line: IMO, it ain’t gonna get any cheaper than old prices combined with a sale. 😉😁🤞(Disclaimer: Do your own research and due diligence, then decide what’s best for YOU!)

P.S. The one thing I would avoid is buying from a jeweler now unless they have a helluva sale at OLD prices! Otherwise THEY will be selling at CURRENT gold/troy ounce prices! (called the “spot” price) Again, JMO! 😁😉✌️
3 x

Bella

Post by Bella » 4 months ago

I have only bought 4 pieces of gold since 2000, the prices were great then. Most of my gold pieces I purchased in Mexico or overseas in the 70’s or 80’s.I do have my grandmothers huge 18kt gold Tiffany’s “mystery” necklace. Somehow over the years I have been more attracted to silver or white gold.
2 x

Spinoza

Bella —

I must be older than you! The last time I bought quite a bit of gold was way back in the 1980’s, LOL! I was a sweet young thing back then (okay, a young thing…can’t swear to the sweet part!) and I was hooked on the 18k gold that HSN was selling all the time. Every time there was a dip in gold prices, I added another piece or two to my collection. Needless to say those pieces have appreciated a lot since then, especially with the current gold spike, so I recently sold a few pieces and used some of the profit to test the 10k gold on SLC. Now I’m looking to add more 10k & 14k gold to my collection. It’s more durable than 18k (though I personally never had any prob with breakage or wear) and it still looks very nice even compared to the 18k. BUT — I’m only buying in big dips and/or if I can gold at the pre-spike prices AND on sale. (Again, I wouldn’t buy from a jewelry store now unless there was a ridiculous sale on close outs or something like that.) I’m still waiting to see an EOY gold sale on SLC but I’m not sure if they’re going to have one. ☹️ They may just keep their prices pretty stable and then jack them up after New Year’s. 😳 We shall see! 😁👀👁️🤣✌️
3 x

WTFarmGirl

Post by WTFarmGirl » 4 months ago

@Spinoza

I buy nearly all gold from the river store. There are lots of vendors so you do have to take your time to search reviews vs. gram weight and prices. I bought my husband a 10k singapore chain there, gram weight was a bit higher than SLC's version and the price was $100 less. It looks REALLY good on him, and eventhough he's a snob and wanted 14K or 18K SOLID gold (Pshh, seriously he's lucky I bought him even THAT considering I make 10X less than he does), he wears it every chance he gets (unlike the SLC rings I bought him which are still tossed in the back of a forgotten drawer somewhere).

This year he wanted a bracelet. Those are more tricky. Most chains are HOLLOW LINKS, and those are more prone to breaking, ESPECIALLY on the hand. So I debated between a 14K hollow chain or a 10K solid, and went with the 10K solid. A broken chain does no one any good!
$483 for a 4mm SOLID gold chain (small yes, but again, it's SOLID) at 8.9 grams. SLC doesn't even come close to touching that price. Plus the reviews on it were excellent.

The time to buy gold (from a jeweler's perspective) would have been over the summer. MOST places do no adjust the price of their gold each day (places I have shopped at least),but if you want to CAST jewelry and MAKE your own items, THAT'S when it really matters as they charge you the DAY THEY CAST what gold is going for.

For What It's Worth: I just got my receipt back from the GOOD casting company in New York (highly recommend PAFCO, they are hands down amazing and great service!), it listed gold prices at $2032.30 and Platinum at $946.00

I think SLC can afford to NOT change their gold prices with their platinum sooooo over priced. Even in my findings catalogue, platinum is only SLIGHTLY higher than gold.
1 x

Spinoza

Agree, this is not the time to buy gold from a jeweler! Most here are charging a minimum of twice what SLC is asking. 🙄

However, I do expect SLC to raise their gold prices regardless of what platinum is going for. In fact I expect SLC to raise prices on both gold and platinum after the 1st of the year. (Gotta get all the non-precious metals miscellaneous EOY inventory closeout sales out of the way first!)

So far I haven’t seen or heard about any serious SLC gold sales coming up before Jan 1, so I’m beginning to think they won’t have any. I guess they’ll just sell their remaining inventory at higher prices in 2024. From a business perspective I understand the move. But as a buyer looking to get one more shot at “old” prices combined with an EOY inventory closeout sale, I’m a little disappointed. Not surprised though! (Just looking for necklaces/chains; have enough bracelets & rings & earrings to last me forever!🤣) And like you, I ALWAYS buy solid, never hollow, gold!

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for their input and Happy Holidays to all! 😁🧑🎄🎄🥂🕎🎁✌️❤️

P.S. FWIW, spot prices for gold & platinum as of this posting are $2043.50 and $977.30, respectively.
1 x

Lanai

Post by Lanai » 4 months ago

I have never thought that SLC was overpriced in their Gold Pieces, as to what, I had/have a Problem with were many of the Hosts giving Misleading Information to Customers. If anyone else remembers when they first began to sell Gold in Larger Quantities on a Regular Basis, Many of the Host would Continually Push Customers to Buy More and More 10k & 14k Gold, Marketing this Gold, as Investment Grade and Stating the Spot Price of Gold Numerous Times
Daily as well as Stating That They Were Not Giving Investment Advice But,That is Exactly What They Would Do, as Well, as Constantly Stating as to how Gold was Projected by the End of 2023 to be a Anywhere from $3,000 to up to $5,000+ a Troy Ounce. Wrong. Misleading Customers, Not Explaining that the Trading Spot Gold Prices, that they were giving, were for 24k Gold, not 10k or 14k Gold, which are Strong and Good for Jewelry, Beautiful and What Most Americans, Including Myself, Own the Most of, for Daily Wear. That is One Thing that I give Credit to Matt for, He is the Only Host, that I know of, to give the Correct Information and to Break It down that He Wasn't Giving any Gold Spot Prices or Predictions and to just know that SLC was selling Gold at a Good Price. He said the same with the AAAA Tanzanite, just recently, Educating that these pieces are for, Long Term Investments, and although SLC Offered it at a Great Prices, He Wasn't Promoting that It was going to be Something that could be Purchased and Immediately Taken and Offered to any Jeweler or Collector to Make a Large Sum of Fast Profit, It was for a Long Term Investment, Unless You Happened to be a Large Gemstone Investor and Had Been Holding a Large Amount of Quality Grade Stone. He said , He was tired of Hearing all the Projections and How Many People in the Gemstone Industry had been saying that Tanzanite was Virtually Mined Out and Would Be Unavailable Soon since around the early 2000's. Same with Gold, there is still Gold and Platinum Available, No Current Shortage in the Market and Would Be Available for a Long Time to Come. Kudos, to Him. I'm not saying that it's not possible to make money flipping 10k & 14k Gold Jewelry Pieces if acquired at a
low price per gram and reselling at a higher price but it shouldn't be Marketed as Investment Grade. Then they started selling Platinum and giving Their Opinions on what the Predicted Trading Price of it would be, Wrong Again. Of course, most of that has pretty well played itself out, except with only a couple of Hosts who continue to harp on about it. The rest of them
have moved on to pushing "Modani" pieces and Terahertz.That's there New Gimmick. Except for the Never Ending "Tanzanite Smackdowns." The truth is that Gold has always been desirable and always will be. I Certainly have Never Turned Down a Gift of Gold Jewelry and I don't know anyone that has. Just sell the items for what they are, like the other Shopping Networks do, the Hosts didn't and don't use the tactics that SLC does just to make sales. That's the problem I have with this Company as well as the Majority of Items that are Presented look Nothing like what the Customers Actually Receive.
Honesty, goes a Long Way with Anything, Including Business Transactions.
Just my opinion.
2 x

Lynmarie

Post by Lynmarie » 4 months ago

I ordered David Pollock's The Lab eye cream on December 1st and didn't receive it by DHL (which I don't like anyway they are always terrible on delivery) until December 12/13th. It started with DHL then my USPS delivered it. I use to receive my orders here in Central Iowa within 4-5 days no longer than 7 days. I noticed though that it took at least 3/4 days to come out of their shipping facility in Houston...I told my husband "I think the Pony Express would have delivered faster" :lol:
1 x

Lanai

Post by Lanai » 4 months ago

Lynmarie,
You got that right!!!. I have items from late November that still haven't been delivered, of course SLC used DHL. I have requested numerous times for them to not send my orders using DHL. I know many others have also so it's not like they don't know that there is a problem with this Company. Wouldn't doubt if they owned that Company too. When I have contacted SLC , the Customer Service Reps have tried to say that the orders were signed out to DHL and there was nothing that they could do about it after items were scanned out to DHL, that I would have to contact DHL. I have contacted DHL and was told that they had never received a order for pickup from SLC for the Tracking Numbers, that I gave them and that I needed to recontact SLC again with this info. Who's telling the Truth?? Who knows, could be either one of them. Neither are what I would consider Honest or Trustworthy. So the circle begins again, not my first Rodeo with these people. I don't like DHL, I have had packages that they have picked up and then DHL handed them off to UPS who then handed them off to USPS for delivery. Even though DHL is worthless, I think SLC is responsible for at least part of the problems because I don't believe they actually have Items picked up on the date they put on the Invoices for Order Tracking. Disorganization seems to be their middle name, in every aspect. There certainly seems to be problems with Communication between Different Services. I am going to request my Money to be refunded, I don't even want the Items anymore. The only Shopping Network or Retailer that I have these problems with. I hate to have to argue with people but it appears as if I probably will have to threaten to report them for Credit Card Fraud, as I have had to do many times in the past. That's why I have quit ordering anything from them. I watch when I have time, to see what kind of ridiculousness is going on, but haven't ordered anything lately, and don't intend to, especially from the farce of the Frequently Occuring Clearance, where there is No Refunds or Returns. There is No Real Deals either, most of the time the items are either the Original Price or at times Higher priced than Originally aired for. It's a dumping ground for Products that look good when presented on TV and when received are totally different, as well as many times look like they have been used and returned. Just stating my opinion.
1 x