Is Tanzanite really rare?

HS

Is Tanzanite really rare?

Post by HS » 3 months ago

I've been hearing how rare it is since the late 1970s. Frankly, I'm sick of hearing about how rare it is and how it's "running out" when JTV, GSN (Gem Shopping Network), Gemporia, TSC (Today's Shopping Channel, Canada), TVSN (Australia), and Shop LC/TJC show tons of it day and night.

I like Hunter but when he goes on and on about it (like all hosts), I still don't want to buy any of it. After being bombarded with it for decades from the likes of Kathy Levine, QVC, and Judy and Paul Deasy-Crowell (Mr. Judy Crowell LOL), I still don't understand why it's so pricey.

I'd rather have Paraiba tourmaline. Both Paraiba and Tanzanite require treatment to achieve the color they are famous for, so...

I'll see you in the year 2034 when Tony is still telling us how rare and limited Tanzanite is.
2 x

Bella

Re: Is Tanzanite really rare?

Post by Bella » 3 months ago

Tanzanite is ugly when it comes out of the ground! Most overhyped gemstone since diamonds. They really marketed both gemstones perfectly to make customers feel the need to purchase and guilty for not buying a diamond for an engagement ring.
All marketing BS!
2 x

Spinoza

Post by Spinoza » 3 months ago

HS & Bella —

Agree with both of you. It’s clear Tony Baloney & SLC have a truckload of Tanzanite (of various qualities) in stock and are doing their best to unload it by using the same old threats over and over and over to get people to buy it. “It’s rare!” “Supply is limited!” “You’ll never see it at these prices again!” “This is the best deal EVER, can’t believe we’re doing it at this price, once it’s gone it’s gone for good”, etc! 🤣

If it’s that rare & great, why don’t they lock it away for 5 years or so and then sell it to private collectors with deep pockets for huge profits? 🤔

Look, it’s a pretty blue gemstone, no argument. And sure, like just about everything else in this world, it may go up in price/value/worth, and yes, eventually the very best quality may eventually be hard to find. But the fact is, SLC sells the same Tanzanite pieces multiple times every single day so obviously it isn’t selling out completely every time a piece is shown. I think people are really getting sick and tired of seeing it advertised so often, especially since a lot of it is too high priced for many people. 🙄

Personally, I’d rather buy a sapphire if I’m going to spend some big bucks on a blue gem, but to each his own. 😁✌️
3 x

Bella

Post by Bella » 3 months ago

I agree, give me a Ceylon sapphire over a Tanzanite anyday!
4 x

HS

Oh Ceylon sapphire is soooo gorgeous!
2 x

HS

The worst part is it's not just SLC or their sister channel TJC, it's every shopping channel I've ever seen over several decades. There's no escape from it. LOL
3 x

Eclair

Post by Eclair » 1 month ago

I loved Tanzanite from the moment it first appeared in a Tiffany window...finally in the 1970's approximately, I was in Cozumel, Mexico on a vacation...every where a tourist looked was tanzanite...I literally went overboard and bought a five carat with some diamonds...it was about $1000 dollars a carat...the same price they are selling it on LC...so what does that tell ya...since then, at jewelry shows etc., there have been plenty for sale...I will say that I think the really blue ones are less plentiful...but I do not think mine has turned into an investment...it is just a ring I love...so I say buy it because you love it...not to stash away to make money some day...in fact, I have tried selling some of my jewelry recently and have not had much luck with rarer gemstones in gold rings...dealers seem to basically want just gold and diamonds sadly for me...I think one of the hosts said buy what you love, and they are spot on...I love gemstones as you all do, so happy shopping!
2 x