Question about Moonstone

Bella

Question about Moonstone

Post by Bella » 1 month ago

Can anyone with first hand experience tell me does Moonstone ever discolor like Opal will by sometimes turning yellow?
0 x

colljoe

Re: Question about Moonstone

Post by colljoe » 1 month ago

I own from large to smaller pieces of jewelry in Moonstone and have had them for at least 20 yrs. There has not been any discoloration on my Moonstone pieces. Opal, yes, unfortunately.
1 x

Catwoman48

Post by Catwoman48 » 1 month ago

I have not purchased any Welo opal for that reason. As beautiful as it is, I can’t take the chance. However, I own a lot of moonstone, most of it from Nicky Butler. Some is 30 years old. There has never been any discoloration whatsoever. It is a beautiful stone and durable.
3 x

Bella

Thank you so much Colljoe & Catwoman! Yeah I do not by any Welo opals anymore either due to yellowing. I also do not buy anymore pink opal from Shop LC due to color changes.

I too Catwoman have some Nicky Butler pieces. I loved his jewelry. After he left HSN and then Shop Hq I wonder what he is doing now, perhaps he’s retired and living the “good life.”
1 x

colljoe

Post by colljoe » 1 month ago

@Bella: Oh my gosh! Same on the pink opal. I had these real nice big square pink opal earrings I purchased from LC many years ago. One of them turned a brownish color...WTH? That really ticked me off. No more Welo and never again on the pink opal. I do like Thulite for pink. Have many pieces, and hold up real well.
1 x

Bella

I know how you feel on the pink opal Colljoe! I have earrings where one is a nice pink and the other earring is a yellow brown :?
What’s up with that? I went through my pink opal collection the other day and anything that was discolored I threw it in the trash. Thankfully most all of my bracelets and pendants are ok. I love pink opal it is one of my favorites, so go figure. I too have Thulite and I love it as well, however I don’t need anymore Thulite or pink opal I have accumulated way too much. (If that’s possible) When I’m gone my niece will have a nice collection of jewelry with a variety of gemstones.
1 x

mpompadour

Post by mpompadour » 1 month ago

Years ago when Welo opal was the hottest thing on Shop LC, I too bought several pieces. Earrings and rings mostly. They were all beautiful and I wore them occasionally as I know opals are fairly delicate. Anyway, I k\noticed that sickly urine color creeping into the opals Not every stone changed to that color, but most of them did. The worst one was a BIG beautiful long ring that had the worst urine color. I was sickened by this, put it away and never wore it again. Well, I had during this time also bought a sleeping beauty turquoise ring. I bought it on a whim, but didn't really like the design The sleeping beauty stones were lovely though. So I pulled out both rings and realized that I could switch out those nasty opals and reset with the turquoise stones. It turned out GREAT and now I can enjoy the ring once again. BTW, switching stones is not too difficult. You just have to be careful bending prongs gently to get stones out and gentle pushing prongs back down onto the stones,
2 x

Bella

So glad it worked out for you in the end Mpompdour! My Welo opals from JTV look like the day I bought them. Makes you wonder why?
1 x

CJM

Post by CJM » 1 month ago

I’ve not had any luck with moonstones. You can try putting your opals in a cup of water overnight to get rid of the yellow. It worked for me. Better to try before throwing them away. So far my opals have held up.
0 x

Bella

CJM you said you haven’t had any luck with Moonstones, what issues did you have?

I tried the water method, rice method, damp sponge storage method everything for the opals nothing worked for me.
1 x