Holiday Parties?

RS

Holiday Parties?

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Anybody have one(or more) coming up? Are you looking forward to it?

We have one on the 17th with husband’s company. Ugh.

It’s at a country club and all fancy. Dress up, * hour (I don’t drink yay) but it is what it is.

But the thing is there is also a white elephant gift exchange. To me that seems more appropriate for a casual get together.

Personally I wish that is what they were planning. Not the country club but at the company office (it’s an old CIA facility and really cool. Looks like a big log lodge on the outside).

So dress up, fancy dinner, etc. Then the gift exchange/steal/frenzied kind of thing. I have actually never done a white elephant exchange before so...

Plus he’s only worked here for 6 months and I don’t really know anybody except one guy. He actually bought the house two doors down from us.

Ohhhhh...He’s single ladies! And adorable! 6’ 6”, helicopter pilot.

Hubby is retired and working. Yup.
5 x

Gemsnob

Re: Holiday Parties?

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

RS wrote:
4 years ago

It’s at a country club and all fancy. Dress up, * hour (I don’t drink yay) but it is what it is.

But the thing is there is also a white elephant gift exchange. To me that seems more appropriate for a casual get together.

Personally I wish that is what they were planning. Not the country club but at the company office (it’s an old CIA facility and really cool. Looks like a big log lodge on the outside).

So dress up, fancy dinner, etc. Then the gift exchange/steal/frenzied kind of thing. I have actually never done a white elephant exchange before so...

Plus he’s only worked here for 6 months and I don’t really know anybody except one guy. He actually bought the house two doors down from us.

The only "parties" we do are with family. No more work parties for me. Im relieved. I dont drink either. I bet you will get to know people better after this party especially if its open bar. Cant wait to hear all about it. :D
4 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago

The only "parties" we do are with family. No more work parties for me. Im relieved. I dont drink either. I bet you will get to know people better after this party especially if its open bar. Cant wait to hear all about it. :D
I’m looking forward to Christmas Eve and Christmas at home with the family. I actually like the time before more than anything because once it’s here it’s over in a flash. Holiday let down sets in. It’s like the last ride at Disneyland.
6 x

Gemsnob

RS wrote:
4 years ago
Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago

I’m looking forward to Christmas Eve and Christmas at home with the family. I actually like the time before more than anything because once it’s here it’s over in a flash. Holiday let down sets in. It’s like the last ride at Disneyland.
I actually find this time of year stressful. When my kids were little, it was fun and exciting but it has lost its magic over the years. Im not fond of shopping outside of the internet and wrapping...ugh. I guess that makes me the Grinch. I do like being with my husband and kids. They are grown.
7 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago
Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago

I actually find this time of year stressful. When my kids were little, it was fun and exciting but it has lost its magic over the years. Im not fond of shopping outside of the internet and wrapping...ugh. I guess that makes me the Grinch. I do like being with my husband and kids. They are grown.
Mine are grown too but seem to enjoy Christmas just as much as they did as kids. We have a lot of traditions that I keep alive and boy do they remind me to never forget them!

Wrapping! Ohhh, I used to do the whole expensive matching paper, handmade bows with little center pieces in them.

Husband would always say “ohh honey, I will help you and we will make a night of it”. Hmmm...
We’d turn on the Christmas music, fire in the fire place, a warm drink...
He’d fall asleep propped up on the couch with egg nog in hand,🤣

A few years ago I bought those bags with the inset ribbon at Q. You just put the gift in, pull the ribbons, attach the tag. DONE!
The family balked at first until they tried them too.
We’ve never looked back. They look great under the tree and so easy.
They last a few years or more. I bought four new sets this year and what I hadn’t used from the previous sets (and there were a LOT) I gave to daughter. Now she has a nice Rubbermaid tub full of bags too!
3 x

Gemsnob

RS wrote:
4 years ago
Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago

Mine are grown too but seem to enjoy Christmas just as much as they did as kids. We have a lot of traditions that I keep alive and boy do they remind me to never forget them!

Wrapping! Ohhh, I used to do the whole expensive matching paper, handmade bows with little center pieces in them.

Husband would always say “ohh honey, I will help you and we will make a night of it”. Hmmm...

A few years ago I bought those bags with the inset ribbon at Q. You just put the gift in, pull the ribbons, attach the tag. DONE!
They last a few years or more. I bought four new sets this year and what I hadn’t used from the previous sets (and there were a LOT) I gave to daughter. Now she has a nice Rubbermaid tub full of bags too!
Are you talking about the Kringle Express Christmas bags? I bought some last year but havent tried them yet. I doubt I have enought for everything. They are mylar I think. If I like them, Im going to stock up. They seem brilliant and will hold up way better than paper gift bags that arent really "wrapping".
3 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago
Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago

Are you talking about the Kringle Express Christmas bags? I bought some last year but havent tried them yet. I doubt I have enought for everything. They are mylar I think. If I like them, Im going to stock up. They seem brilliant and will hold up way better than paper gift bags that arent really "wrapping".
YES! I stocked up this year with four new sets. I have velvet Santa sacks that are for gifts from “Santa” (yeah I go there). And those don’t wear out. I finally bought new ones last year.
I love the Kringle bags. Peek proof, I mean as much as any gift can be. And they are very sturdy. If you order just be sure to read the description for what sizes are included. They listened to their customers (huh...novel concept ‘eh?) and started including more larger and jumbo bags in the sets and fewer tiny ones.
This years set seems the right amount of all sizes.
4 x

Gemsnob

RS wrote:
4 years ago
Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago

YES! I stocked up this year with four new sets. I have velvet Santa sacks that are for gifts from “Santa” (yeah I go there). And those don’t wear out. I finally bought new ones last year.
I love the Kringle bags. Peek proof, I mean as much as any gift can be. And they are very sturdy. If you order just be sure to read the description for what sizes are included. They listened to their customers (huh...novel concept ‘eh?) and started including more larger and jumbo bags in the sets and fewer tiny ones.
I'll check it out. Thank you! I'll probably still end up wrapping stocking stuffers. My husband will never let me end that tradition. Hes really good about helping with everything. Im lucky there.
3 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago
Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago

I'll check it out. Thank you! I'll probably still end up wrapping stocking stuffers. My husband will never let me end that tradition. Hes really good about helping with everything. Im lucky there.
I used to wrap those and husband said WHY? I stopped and never any complaints. The stockings are my FAVORITE part and always over stuffed so a lot to wrap!
My husband is always a tremendous help. But is always on the back side of the clock and needs to catch up on sleep.
He always tried to do his own laundry too, but I just can’t let him. He’s trying to help.
4 x

Gemsnob

RS wrote:
4 years ago
Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago

I used to wrap those and husband said WHY? I stopped and never any complaints. The stockings are my FAVORITE part and always over stuffed so a lot to wrap!
My husband is always a tremendous help. But is always on the back side of the clock and needs to catch up on sleep.
He always tried to do his own laundry too, but I just can’t let him. He’s trying to help.
Sounds like we both lucked out in the husband department. ❤
3 x