Fissure filled stones

Vicky
Answers: 1

Fissure filled stones

Post by Vicky » 4 years ago

The TLV on now has 4 ring and pendant/chain sets. 3 out of the 4 sets have fissure filled stones. The Niassa Ruby, the ilakaka pink sapphire, the masoala sapphire are all fissure filled. Neither Adi, nor Becky are warning viewers to be very careful cleaning these stones. My Niassa Ruby exploded in my ultrasonic cleaner because I wasn’t warned. All they had to say is care for them like you would Pearls and Opals. Of course not. It might hurt sales. Who cares what happens to the stones once Shoplc gets paid 🤯 They are talking non stop about nonsense, but hide the fact that these FF stones with glass are very fragile 🤬
3 x

2Blonde

Re: Fissure filled stones

Post by 2Blonde » 4 years ago

I watched the presentation early this morning and the fissure filled designation (FF) was included in the television graphic for the 3 stones that are fissure filled.
1 x

Tothemoon

Post by Tothemoon » 4 years ago

Maybe management is listening to some of our complaints because during this morning’s TLV presentation Peter was on with Dionne and he discussed treatments of stones including fissure filled stones. He didn’t say how to take care of the gems but he did say to look up how to care for them.
0 x

Vicky

Actually, the only stone that had the FF after it was the Niassa Ruby. SLC never puts FF after ilakaka Hot pink sapphire or masoala blue sapphire. The only way to know is to get the info from their Education dept. if you like the way the fissure filled stones look, thats fine. Just know they are filled with glass and are very fragile, so treat them with care. I just hope buyers dont buy them for resale value.
2 x

2Blonde

Post by 2Blonde » 4 years ago

I actually looked very closely at the graphic this morning, and it did list the blue sapphire, pink sapphire and ruby with the (FF) after them, then the Russian Diopside was listed separately.
2 x

Vicky

I saw the graphics. I see where you think the FF after Nuassa Ruby included tge other 2. Just because the 3rd on the list is followed by a FF, doesn't mean the first 2 listed were included. To double check, search for just ilakaka hot pink sapphires and you will see no FF after them. Search the masoala Sapphires and no FF after them. The only one that has FF after them in the graphics, is the Niassa Rubies
1 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

Seems this topic will always pop out. I created a topic about the issue but it is locked now. Fissure filled stones are " fish gravel" quoting the words of a reputable jeweler. He said that after the scandal involving major retail stores like Macy's a couple of years ago. These stones are composites bcause they have more glass than corundum, and lost their durability and value. They can't go to a steam cleaner. That same jeweler called them a manufacture product that belongs in custom jewelry. Macy's had to train their sellers about selling these kind of stones. I have a fissure filled composite Burmese Ruby earrings that bought thinking that I was buying a nice Ruby to match with my pendant. Eventually, I will change the stones for non-fissure filled rubies.
Last edited by Margui 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x

Moderator_Danielle

Post by Moderator_Danielle » 4 years ago

Margui wrote:
4 years ago
Seems this topic will always pop out. I created a topic about the issue but it is locked now. Fissure filled stones are " fish gravel" quoting the words of a reputable jeweler. He said that after the scandal involving major retail stores like Macy's a couple of years ago. These stones are composites more that have more glass than corundum, and lost their durability and value. They can't go to a steam cleaner. That same jeweler called them a manufacture product that belongs in custom jewelry. Macy's had to train their seller about selling these kind of stones. I have a fissure filled composite Burmese Ruby earrings that bought thinking that I was buying a nice Ruby to match with my pendant.Eventually, I will change the stones for non-fissure filled rubies.
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your feedback in regards to fissure filled stones. We don't do this treatment with the intention of compromising the stones. Rather it's to help with cracks that may occur during heat treatment. The descriptions should have FF on products this treatment is on. This is the excerpt form our education center in regards to the treatment:

"To improve durability or appearance or to add weight. Like getting a filling at the dentist gemstone fissure filling introduces material to fill surface-breaking cavities or fissures within a gemstone. Fillers may consist of colorless glass plastic solidified borax or similar substances. These substances are typically fused with the original gemstone material through a heating process."

Thank you very much for your time and engagement.
0 x