Iolite

JewelryQueen

Re: Iolite

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

I purchased an iolite bangle bracelet about 1 1/2 years ago. The stones were not large but set to best advantage. I have had numerous people admire my "tanzanite" bracelet. And the best part--I paid peanuts for it!

DOES IT DRIVE ANYONE ELSE CRAZY THAT A GEM NETWORK'S FORUM KEEPS TELLING US WE ARE SPELLING GEMSTONES INCORRECTLY WHEN WE ARE NOT? I am a newby here so probably this has come up before but I just had to get this off my chest.
4 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

Iolite is known as the Viking stone or the Water Sapphire. It is believed to have helped the Vikings navigate the seas when the sun was not bright. They were able to hold up an iolite crystal and use it to find the sun in the sky and then find the direction they wished to go. Its a fascinating gem! Just do an internet search and it will tell you all about it.
5 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
I purchased an iolite bangle bracelet about 1 1/2 years ago. The stones were not large but set to best advantage. I have had numerous people admire my "tanzanite" bracelet. And the best part--I paid peanuts for it!

DOES IT DRIVE ANYONE ELSE CRAZY THAT A GEM NETWORK'S FORUM KEEPS TELLING US WE ARE SPELLING GEMSTONES INCORRECTLY WHEN WE ARE NOT? I am a newby here so probably this has come up before but I just had to get this off my chest.
D’ost thou mean 👁-O-💡⁉️
4 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 4 years ago

Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
Iolite is known as the Viking stone or the Water Sapphire. It is believed to have helped the Vikings navigate the seas when the sun was not bright. They were able to hold up an iolite crystal and use it to find the sun in the sky and then find the direction they wished to go. Its a fascinating gem! Just do an internet search and it will tell you all about it.
omg, I didn't know that! You just made me want it more than I did before! That is so cool!
3 x

Gemsnob

OtherSideOfTheTracks wrote:
4 years ago
Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
omg, I didn't know that! You just made me want it more than I did before! That is so cool!
It is very cool! Gemstones have such a amazing history. It never gets old because there is always something to learn. I love that!
4 x

JewelryQueen

RS

I am more than delighted that you are back!!!!!!!

Besides I would look pretty ridiculous wandering around my hick town wringing my hands and moaning "Wherefore art thou sister mine?" so don't make me do it.
6 x

JewelryQueen

Thanks again Gemsnob. You are a wealth of info. I was under the impression the Vikings used slices of iolite like sunglasses so they could navigate by the sun without burning their retinas. Being of Viking stock I need to get my facts straight.

But did you know English pirates also raided Finland's and Sweden's coast pillaging an so forth? Vikings always get the bad rap.
5 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

The Iolite ring that I received from JTV this week looks like AAAA Tanzanite, it is a deep blue and the stones are clear/clean It was so nice I ordered the matching pendant, the ring is a knuckle to knuckle 8 ct. ring and the pendant is the same size. I have a couple of other solitares with halo's that I also got from two other networks that also rival Tanzanite.
4 x

Gemsnob

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
Thanks again Gemsnob. You are a wealth of info. I was under the impression the Vikings used slices of iolite like sunglasses so they could navigate by the sun without burning their retinas. Being of Viking stock I need to get my facts straight.

But did you know English pirates also raided Finland's and Sweden's coast pillaging an so forth? Vikings always get the bad rap.
Vikings need not get a bad rap! Afterall, they are probably the ones that discovered America, thanks to Iolite Im sure.
1 x

Angelflutter

Post by Angelflutter » 4 years ago

I have a beautiful 7.5 kt Iolite that a purchased at least 30 years ago from my small town jeweler. It caught my eye as I was walking out the door from replacing a battery in my watch. SCREECH TO A STOP. What is it..... how much ? Hello layaway!!!! I don't remember what I paid for it, but I know it wasn't too much. Good Iolite that is not dark to the point that it is almost black is hard to find. If you find the beautiful blue .... grab it. I really should go have mine appraised. Mine is set in white gold and has three diamonds on each side of the shank.unfortunately jeweler charges $50.00 for an appraisal.
2 x