Improvements for kaftans and umbrella dresses

Sissy2

Improvements for kaftans and umbrella dresses

Post by Sissy2 » 2 years ago

I love kaftans and umbrella dresses for the spring and summer. Could you make some kaftans without the frills on the side? Just a plain seam? I'm on the larger side and these ripples do nothing for the silhouette. Unnecessary bulkiness and even annoying at times. Rings and bracelets can catch on them. In regards to the umbrella dresses how about more solid color ones. Or some two tone but non embroidery and without sequins?
7 x

Ariana

Re: Improvements for kaftans and umbrella dresses

Post by Ariana » 2 years ago

Sissy2 wrote:
2 years ago
I love kaftans and umbrella dresses for the spring and summer. Could you make some kaftans without the frills on the side? Just a plain seam? I'm on the larger side and these ripples do nothing for the silhouette. Unnecessary bulkiness and even annoying at times. Rings and bracelets can catch on them. In regards to the umbrella dresses how about more solid color ones. Or some two tone but non embroidery and without sequins?
I second this! Thank you, Sissy, for suggesting this as I would love to see exactly the designs you described.
4 x

RS

Post by RS » 2 years ago

Sissy2 wrote:
2 years ago
Do you mean you’d like the kaftan to be sewn at the edge of the garment instead of a set-in seam?
4 x

lah2001

Post by lah2001 » 2 years ago

I agree. I also think the sleeve are too long on the kaftans. I understand they're going for coverage, but the length of the sleeves right now is too long and also affects the silhouette because they stick out and visually cut the arm in half. Shorten them a bit so they hit just above the elbow; it would be a lot more flattering.
0 x

RS

Post by RS » 2 years ago

lah2001 wrote:
2 years ago
I agree. I also think the sleeve are too long on the kaftans. I understand they're going for coverage, but the length of the sleeves right now is too long and also affects the silhouette because they stick out and visually cut the arm in half. Shorten them a bit so they hit just above the elbow; it would be a lot more flattering.
Well firstly I disagree about the sleeve length and secondly it would not work…unless you want the kaftan to overall be more narrow and have less flow.

If the sleeves were shorter with the amount of fabric in those kaftans the kaftan would look off-balanced. A kaftan is just a rectangle of fabric folded over on itself and a seam created on each side and a neckline.

The seam can be set in from the edge of the fabric (creating the “ruffle” Sissy was mentioning) or simply sewn on the edge.

But the way a kaftan is created to make shorter sleeves the kaftan would be more narrow, smaller in size.

I have several short kaftans that have a bit of a shorter sleeve (not much) which also makes them narrower. But the long kaftans are meant to be luxurious and flowy.

Personally I like them that way as I wear them in the heat of summer. I have had a few that were overly large (fabric width) and with a low cut neckline. Those tend to slip off my shoulder. For those I wear a tank underneath and the look is cute.
1 x

RS

Post by RS » 2 years ago

But THAT being said…I would like to see a change.

The kaftans with the drawstring on the waist are cute but…

I (and I can’t be the only one) am very long-waisted. All of the kaftans from SLC that have this feature the kaftan is designed for a very short-waisted person. I cannot use the drawstring because it hits me too high. It’s too high to even have it be an empire waist.

So set the drawstring lower by a few more inches. A long-waited person can wear it and a short-waisted person can as well because it would just have a blouson effect.
1 x

lah2001

I would actually prefer the kaftans come in small, medium, large, etc. I guess you can't really have it all in a one-size-fits-all kaftan.

I'm 5'4", with short waist and long legs. For me--in the drawstring kaftans--the kaftan sleeves hang down too long, past my waist. And there's always too much material for me, so the overall effect looks a bit weird, not flowy in a good way. But I personally like the drawstring where it is. I wouldn't like a blouson effect, since I find those unflattering on everyone.

I've never tried the long kaftans, so I don't know how those would look on me.
2 x

RS

Post by RS » 2 years ago

lah2001 wrote:
2 years ago
I would actually prefer the kaftans come in small, medium, large, etc. I guess you can't really have it all in a one-size-fits-all kaftan.

I'm 5'4", with short waist and long legs. For me--in the drawstring kaftans--the kaftan sleeves hang down too long, past my waist. And there's always too much material for me, so the overall effect looks a bit weird, not flowy in a good way. But I personally like the drawstring where it is. I wouldn't like a blouson effect, since I find those unflattering on everyone.

I've never tried the long kaftans, so I don't know how those would look on me.
Many places you can get the kaftans in sizes. Winlar I don’t think offers sizing. Offering one size cuts inventory costs down. So you are opposite of me. I am almost 5’8” tall, long waisted and not so long legs ( nice way of saying short legs ). And I can see that sleeves to your waist is long.
They are never that long on me because of my height. I won’t order the drawstring ones anymore because it’s just too high for me. For the long kaftans on me they are above my ankle by a couple of inches at least.
For you they may just hit the floor. But realize for that it also depends on how wide your shoulders are as that will affect how much the kaftan “pulls up” on the sides and lifts up off the floor.

I love the long and short ones.

I have recently taken to wearing a long one all day on Sunday since my husband and I have decreed Sunday to be goof-off day. So lounge wear it is! But I put my hair up, wear jewelry and pretty sandals.
Patio wear for sure!
1 x

lah2001

Yep. My suspicion is that the long kaftans might fit better on taller people than on shorties like me. :) I could be wrong, though--maybe with high shoes the length would be OK. I like the long kaftans the best.
2 x

RS

Post by RS » 2 years ago

lah2001 wrote:
2 years ago
Yep. My suspicion is that the long kaftans might fit better on taller people than on shorties like me. :) I could be wrong, though--maybe with high shoes the length would be OK. I like the long kaftans the best.
I like both! I won’t wear the long ones out in public though. To me they are too loungewear looking. I wear a short one with capris or jeggings or leggings almost daily in the summer here. I am an almost year round sandal wearer so it all works for me. I always receive compliments on my kaftans when I am out and about.
2 x