Shipping & Handling Charges Keep Creeping Up!!

RS

Re: Shipping & Handling Charges Keep Creeping Up!!

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Moderator_Connor wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago
Ginger wrote:
4 years ago
That’s what I was trying to say Vicky, I just checked again and I am being charged taxes on the shipping, even though I am paying for shipping! This isn’t right and we shouldn’t be charged taxes on our shipping plus paying the shipping charge. I’m shocked and I thought you were saying this same thing before. This is not right ShopLC :oops:
If I remember correctly they are allowed to tax the shipping because it’s considered part of a “service”. IMO it’s not right but they can do it.
Good Afternoon, Everyone!

Thank you for your inquiries and feedback regarding this! Indeed, Taxes can be charged on the Shipping & Handling as part of our compliance. Now, it is normally correct that some states have exemptions with retailers charging Tax on Shipping, though the distinction of 'Shipping & Handling' does make it a taxable service we offer and as a result, that is why we collect Taxes on the S&H.

We hope this information assists with any inquiry regarding this matter!
Hello Mod Connor...

If you read I think you will see the larger issue at hand here is people being charged tax on the amount of an item BEFORE a coupon or discount that was applied. Not on the actual amount that was paid.
0 x

Moderator_Connor

Post by Moderator_Connor » 4 years ago

RS wrote:
4 years ago
Hello Mod Connor...
If you read I think you will see the larger issue at hand here is people being charged tax on the amount of an item BEFORE a coupon or discount that was applied. Not on the actual amount that was paid.
Good Afternoon, RS!

Thank you for that! Looking over the other posts on this topic, I certainly do see others voicing their concerns with there being an incorrect tax amount being charged.

For those users who believe their past orders had an incorrect tax amount charged, we strongly encourage them to send the related order/invoice numbers and the amounts that were meant to be charged to our Customer Service email, customerservice@shoplc.com. With this, the Mod Team can look further into this and get the necessary corrections done for them. We offer our sincerest apologies for any confusion or inconvenience caused during this!
3 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

OH FOR THE LOVE OF PETE! Here are the states where tax DOES NOT have to be charged on shipping and/or handling as long as the shipping charge is stated separately from the item price on the invoice:

Alabama
Arizona
California
Idaho
Iowa
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachuset
Nevada
Oklahoma
Utah
Virginia
Wyoming

along with ta da District of Columbia The rest of us are SOL
District of Columbia
4 x

JewelryQueen

Also Florida has some exemptions for tax on sales
3 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Moderator_Connor wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago
Hello Mod Connor...
Good Afternoon, RS!

Thank you for that! Looking over the other posts on this topic, I certainly do see others voicing their concerns with there being an incorrect tax amount being charged.

For those users who believe their past orders had an incorrect tax amount charged, we strongly encourage them to send the related order/invoice numbers and the amounts that were meant to be charged to our Customer Service email, customerservice@shoplc.com. With this, the Mod Team can look further into this and get the necessary corrections done for them. We offer our sincerest apologies for any confusion or inconvenience caused during this!
Here’s the rub. Once again the shoppers are being asked to clean up a mess made by SLC.
SLC needs to do the work. If they don’t want to research the possible THOUSANDS of infractions then they need to come up with a generous offer to those people who have been wronged.
It’s wrong for SLC to make the consumer do the work. It just is. Partly because SLC KNOWS what they did and knows it’s unethical. And partly because they know most people aren’t going to pursue the issue so SLC will skate.
Last edited by RS 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Post by Vicky » 4 years ago

I went back to all my orders that had a coupon and all tax was charged AFTER the coupon. So Shoplc is taking out the correct tax. I was wrong. I should have done the math instead of looking at the tax and blaming it on being taxed on the whole amount. They do add tax on the shipping. They claim its legal.
4 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Vicky wrote:
4 years ago
I went back to all my orders that had a coupon and all tax was charged AFTER the coupon. So Shoplc is taking out the correct tax. I was wrong. I should have done the math instead of looking at the tax and blaming it on being taxed on the whole amount. They do add tax on the shipping. They claim its legal.
Well thanks for looking. It makes my case above moot. I am almost certain it is legal for them to tax the shipping.
Legal doesn’t make it right, just within the law.
3 x

JewelryQueen

If any of you think you are being charged tax on a price other than the actual price you paid, (including S&H) you have a beef!

You want to hear unfair? I used to be a co-owner of 3 escrow companies that closed real estate transactions like buying a house. I had to pay sales tax on my "service" but attorneys providing exactly the same "service" --but for more money-- did not! Do you think the fact that most of the legislators who make this dumb law are attorneys had any thing to do with it? Don't have to ponder that too long do ya!
6 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
If any of you think you are being charged tax on a price other than the actual price you paid, (including S&H) you have a beef!

You want to hear unfair? I used to be a co-owner of 3 escrow companies that closed real estate transactions like buying a house. I had to pay sales tax on my "service" but attorneys providing exactly the same "service" --but for more money-- did not! Do you think the fact that most of the legislators who make this dumb law are attorneys had any thing to do with it? Don't have to ponder that too long do ya!
Yep.
When I was a teen my Mom opened her own real estate brokerage. So I know.
I remember when she was studying for the real estate license test she was having a difficult time. She hadn’t been in school for a long time so she was rusty.
I studied and also took the test. I passed the first time and she didn’t. She wasn’t too pleased.
1 x

JewelryQueen

I understand. In my state we have Designated Escrow Officers who have to balance the money in our trust accounts to the penny. Once I was off by $.02 Took me 2 days to finally figure out the bank had sent one of my wire transfers short About pulled my hair out.

When my partner an I went to take the test we were warned by the administrator that about 1/3 of us would not pass. Before the test we were chatting with some nice gals who were working for an attorney. They were operating under his license and supervision so they didn't NEED to have the license but he did not want to have to check their work product so he basically said "pass or else." This was their 3rd time taking it and they were so sure they would pass. Their attorney was taking them out for a fancy lunch when they did and they invited us along. Well we passed but they did not so lunch was not had by all.
3 x