Dear SLC Hosts-Shame on you

Ginger

Re: Dear SLC Hosts-Shame on you

Post by Ginger » 5 months ago

Me too OtherSideoftheTracks 🌹 this worries me now since I’ve bought so so many loose gemstones over the years with ShopLC. I too have Spinel, big blue zircons, tourmalines, a big rubellite and so many others and have no way of telling if they’re real. Huge London Blue Topaz (18 carats) and so much Russian Diopside. Is there a tester that can be bought?
6 x

Topic Tags:

Rolltide

Post by Rolltide » 5 months ago

If there is a local jeweler that you have ever used, he would probably look at them for you for free. I am thinking of doing the same thing.
3 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 5 months ago

I also wish we could do one on ones!

On the silver issue--Back in my gravy days I used to go to Mexico for 2 weeks every May. You can well imagine I bought a LOT of silver. Admittedly some of that silver had nickle in it (I can tell as I react to nickle) but if a vendor said something was silver it was silver. Know why? If someone sold an item and represented that it was silver and it was not, and they were caught, it was a life sentence in prison. Hmmmmm... Even the desperate street vendors would not say alpaca (mystery metal) was silver.
5 x

Ginger

Post by Ginger » 5 months ago

Yes there’s several jewelers and hope they don’t charge much because I have hundreds and hundreds of loose gemstones still in the little jem tray or the sealed bag they came in with the description, carat weight and the country they’re from. Thanks for the tip🏈 I saw you’re watching football 😂
4 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 5 months ago

I know there are testers for rubies and sapphires and diamonds. I used to have one. But they will not tell you if they are lab created. Usually you can tell by louping the stones. If there are NO imperfections (zoning, inclusions etc) they may be glass. Or if there are many little bubbles under a loup they probably are glass as well.

This is where a reputable jeweler is your bestie.
7 x

Rolltide

Post by Rolltide » 5 months ago

Ginger wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:02 am
Yes there’s several jewelers and hope they don’t charge much because I have hundreds and hundreds of loose gemstones still in the little jem tray or the sealed bag they came in with the description, carat weight and the country they’re from. Thanks for the tip🏈 I saw you’re watching football 😂
Yep, since we are not in it, have to root for LSU. Go Tigers!
2 x

Gemaholic

Post by Gemaholic » 5 months ago

Rolltide wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:55 am
If there is a local jeweler that you have ever used, he would probably look at them for you for free. I am thinking of doing the same thing.
I am going to go to more than one if I have to. I am doing research to make sure I go to one that can identify a spinel properly. Spinel is not as common as the basic: emeralds, rubies, sapphires, diamonds, and garnets.
5 x

Spooky

Post by Spooky » 5 months ago

Gemaholic wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:38 am
Rolltide wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:55 am
I am going to go to more than one if I have to. I am doing research to make sure I go to one that can identify a spinel properly. Spinel is not as common as the basic: emeralds, rubies, sapphires, diamonds, and garnets.
Gemaholic you would be so missed if you left so please stay on the forum! Thank you again for sharing your
testing results 💖
2 x

Hollie

Post by Hollie » 5 months ago

I want to know what that lying (fake apology) ff said about us this time.
I'd expect this from Adi but I thought Pieter had some class. I guess not.
I for one am done contributing to their pay checks.
I wonder what all their new victims are thinking that heard that.
3 x

Gemaholic

Post by Gemaholic » 5 months ago

Ginger wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:51 am
Me too OtherSideoftheTracks 🌹 this worries me now since I’ve bought so so many loose gemstones over the years with ShopLC. I too have Spinel, big blue zircons, tourmalines, a big rubellite and so many others and have no way of telling if they’re real. Huge London Blue Topaz (18 carats) and so much Russian Diopside. Is there a tester that can be bought?
You can get a mini jewelry UV light (be careful with this, I can walk you through how to use this without damaging your eyes), but not all minerals fluoresce, so this is just one of several methods to test gemstone authenticity out. I also have a Geiger meter which measures radiation. Again, that is only useful for radioactive gemstones. Microscopes and jewelry loupes with led lights are great necessities for inspecting your gems. If you want, I can make a separate post about methods to test and how to do them.
3 x