Dear SLC Hosts-Shame on you

Post Reply
Gemaholic
Posts: 342
Joined: 2 weeks ago

Re: Dear SLC Hosts-Shame on you

Post by Gemaholic » 5 days ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
5 days ago
To me a certification is way more important that what someone says online. It is like the difference of used car salesman giving you a written warranty versus telling you this vehicle will run fine with no problems for another 100,000 miles. You have way more recourse when any guarantee is in writing. Just sayin'
EXACTLY. If they have something in writing as authentic but then the opposite is proved, then it looks very bad on SLC's part.
3 x

Topic Tags:

Rolltide
Posts: 190
Joined: 1 month ago

Re: Dear SLC Hosts-Shame on you

Post by Rolltide » 5 days ago

Gemaholic wrote:
5 days ago
Rolltide wrote:
6 days ago
Last year I took a lot of clearance pieces that I had bought and just didn't wear to a local pawn shop. I needed to clean out my jewelry box and thought to get what I could out of it. The jeweler wouldn't take most of the pieces because he said some appeared not to be silver, and some had pieces and parts that were not silver. All of the items were portrayed as "sterling silver" when I bought them. They used some stuff they put on the pieces to test it. They said they would question whether or not the stones were real, as well. I just figured they were afraid to take a chance with some of it because of their test results. Now I don't know what to think. I donated the items to charity and told them what I could about them.
Pawn shops are notorious for deceiving people. I have some stories of my own. Unless they are GIA or even IGS, then their opinion is worth nothing. No offense to you, it's the people at these shops. Their end goal is the same as channels like SLC
There is no offense to be taken. You are the one that opened this conversation by saying that you DO have pieces that were sold to you by SLC that are NOT real. What you have quoted from me above is what I was told by a shop owner when I took some junk in I bought on clearance and wasn't wearing, so I wanted to try to get some money out of it. The shop sells silver jewelry, and some gold, and does pay for silver and gold. They tested the merchandise in front of me with some type of magnets, which did not react properly, and this black pad they put stuff on the jewelry with. I don't really understand what you mean when you say their end goal is the same? They weren't looking to keep these pieces, they refused to pay for any of the ones in question because they were afraid it wasn't silver, so I gave them to a local charity. The pieces they paid me for were weighed on the counter in front of me, I am not in the habit of being deceived, just a fact. So sorry you misunderstand, and that I don't understand you. With all due respect, and no offense.
2 x

Rolltide
Posts: 190
Joined: 1 month ago

Re: Dear SLC Hosts-Shame on you

Post by Rolltide » 5 days ago

By the way, I saw your post where you were going to examine gems under a microscope and post the results in that thread, and in a new thread, but I don't see anything. What were your results?
0 x

Gemaholic
Posts: 342
Joined: 2 weeks ago

Re: Dear SLC Hosts-Shame on you

Post by Gemaholic » 5 days ago

Rolltide wrote:
5 days ago
Gemaholic wrote:
5 days ago
Rolltide wrote:
6 days ago
Last year I took a lot of clearance pieces that I had bought and just didn't wear to a local pawn shop. I needed to clean out my jewelry box and thought to get what I could out of it. The jeweler wouldn't take most of the pieces because he said some appeared not to be silver, and some had pieces and parts that were not silver. All of the items were portrayed as "sterling silver" when I bought them. They used some stuff they put on the pieces to test it. They said they would question whether or not the stones were real, as well. I just figured they were afraid to take a chance with some of it because of their test results. Now I don't know what to think. I donated the items to charity and told them what I could about them.
Pawn shops are notorious for deceiving people. I have some stories of my own. Unless they are GIA or even IGS, then their opinion is worth nothing. No offense to you, it's the people at these shops. Their end goal is the same as channels like SLC
There is no offense to be taken. You are the one that opened this conversation by saying that you DO have pieces that were sold to you by SLC that are NOT real. What you have quoted from me above is what I was told by a shop owner when I took some junk in I bought on clearance and wasn't wearing, so I wanted to try to get some money out of it. The shop sells silver jewelry, and some gold, and does pay for silver and gold. They tested the merchandise in front of me with some type of magnets, which did not react properly, and this black pad they put stuff on the jewelry with. I don't really understand what you mean when you say their end goal is the same? They weren't looking to keep these pieces, they refused to pay for any of the ones in question because they were afraid it wasn't silver, so I gave them to a local charity. The pieces they paid me for were weighed on the counter in front of me, I am not in the habit of being deceived, just a fact. So sorry you misunderstand, and that I don't understand you. With all due respect, and no offense.
Pawnshops don't care about the person coming in--the customer, so they do run tricks. That is what my comparison to SLC is. As far as the magnet test, this is amusing to me now. Did they claim it WASN'T magnetic therefore it wasn't silver? It is important to pay attention to these things, because crooked people are everywhere. Silver is NOT magnetic. Iron and nickel is, so it sounds like they were testing to see if it was in there since 925 silver is not supposed to contain nickel, just copper (in addition to the 92.5% silver). And yes, I opened the conversation and I said inspect your jewelry and get second opinions, but pawnshop people are by no means qualified unless they are certified. As much as I don't like being deceived by SLC, I am an honest person, and think honest appraisals should be considered.
3 x

Gemaholic
Posts: 342
Joined: 2 weeks ago

Re: Dear SLC Hosts-Shame on you

Post by Gemaholic » 5 days ago

Rolltide wrote:
5 days ago
By the way, I saw your post where you were going to examine gems under a microscope and post the results in that thread, and in a new thread, but I don't see anything. What were your results?
I had several posts about this. I posted one yesterday called Dear SLC Hosts where I discussed my findings and I also I also posted one called Tanazanite Coatings...and I think I had another one called "Just looked at my jewelry w/ tools"
2 x

User avatar
OtherSideOfTheTracks
Posts: 410
Joined: 2 months ago

Re: Dear SLC Hosts-Shame on you

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 5 days ago

Rolltide wrote:
5 days ago
Gemaholic wrote:
5 days ago
Rolltide wrote:
6 days ago
Last year I took a lot of clearance pieces that I had bought and just didn't wear to a local pawn shop. I needed to clean out my jewelry box and thought to get what I could out of it. The jeweler wouldn't take most of the pieces because he said some appeared not to be silver, and some had pieces and parts that were not silver. All of the items were portrayed as "sterling silver" when I bought them. They used some stuff they put on the pieces to test it. They said they would question whether or not the stones were real, as well. I just figured they were afraid to take a chance with some of it because of their test results. Now I don't know what to think. I donated the items to charity and told them what I could about them.
Pawn shops are notorious for deceiving people. I have some stories of my own. Unless they are GIA or even IGS, then their opinion is worth nothing. No offense to you, it's the people at these shops. Their end goal is the same as channels like SLC
There is no offense to be taken. You are the one that opened this conversation by saying that you DO have pieces that were sold to you by SLC that are NOT real. What you have quoted from me above is what I was told by a shop owner when I took some junk in I bought on clearance and wasn't wearing, so I wanted to try to get some money out of it. The shop sells silver jewelry, and some gold, and does pay for silver and gold. They tested the merchandise in front of me with some type of magnets, which did not react properly, and this black pad they put stuff on the jewelry with. I don't really understand what you mean when you say their end goal is the same? They weren't looking to keep these pieces, they refused to pay for any of the ones in question because they were afraid it wasn't silver, so I gave them to a local charity. The pieces they paid me for were weighed on the counter in front of me, I am not in the habit of being deceived, just a fact. So sorry you misunderstand, and that I don't understand you. With all due respect, and no offense.
I have a GREAT pawn shop I go to and they won't take things either unless to melt. BUT, they have boxes of jewelry that people have pawned and their plan is to melt it so they allow me to sit down in a comfy chair and go through boxes of jewelry! I'll spend three hours looking. It's a BLAST ! They sell it for cheap to me. Then a couple of years go by and I pile my new jewelry together and old and we do the same thing. They give me decent credit for good jewelry then I go through their melt boxes again. I've made a decent profit. I actually see things they don't recognize and I don't tell them. They know I know something about a piece when I dig out gemstone pieces and want to purchase it - but they don't want to know and tell me, "I don't want to know" lol Just buy it. :lol: :lol: :lol: and I don't tell them... :lol:
4 x

Rolltide
Posts: 190
Joined: 1 month ago

Re: Dear SLC Hosts-Shame on you

Post by Rolltide » 5 days ago

I understand OTS. I guess I don't have the patience to look for things. I bet it is great when you find something neat. The one time I went to this shop, I felt totally assured in their competence and knowledge, also. They are on the main drag here in my hometown, and they are the only ones who buy silver, as well. The magnets they used to test made the jewelry stick to it immediately, which is not the reaction you are looking for when testing silver. None of the findings on earrings, pendants, bracelets, none of them were silver, and some pieces would stick to the magnet no matter where you tried it. It really opened my eyes, but the whole process was interesting. They didn't even want to pay a dollar for the things because they said they would doubt that the stones were real either. Their words, not mine, and they certainly had nothing to gain by telling me that. IDK, am much more careful now - buyer beware.
2 x

Gemaholic
Posts: 342
Joined: 2 weeks ago

Re: Dear SLC Hosts-Shame on you

Post by Gemaholic » 5 days ago

Rolltide wrote:
5 days ago
I understand OTS. I guess I don't have the patience to look for things. I bet it is great when you find something neat. The one time I went to this shop, I felt totally assured in their competence and knowledge, also. They are on the main drag here in my hometown, and they are the only ones who buy silver, as well. The magnets they used to test made the jewelry stick to it immediately, which is not the reaction you are looking for when testing silver. None of the findings on earrings, pendants, bracelets, none of them were silver, and some pieces would stick to the magnet no matter where you tried it. It really opened my eyes, but the whole process was interesting. They didn't even want to pay a dollar for the things because they said they would doubt that the stones were real either. Their words, not mine, and they certainly had nothing to gain by telling me that. IDK, am much more careful now - buyer beware.
YIKES..yeah they should not be sticking to the magnets. This is important. @Moderator_Danielle these are the things we are talking about. SLC is not being honest about its products. The product info we are given doesn't mean anything. Science doesn't lie. A necklace sold as 925 silver SHOULD NOT BE MAGNETIC
2 x

User avatar
Moderator_Danielle
Posts: 505
Joined: 5 months ago

Re: Dear SLC Hosts-Shame on you

Post by Moderator_Danielle » 4 days ago

Gemaholic wrote:
5 days ago
Rolltide wrote:
5 days ago
I understand OTS. I guess I don't have the patience to look for things. I bet it is great when you find something neat. The one time I went to this shop, I felt totally assured in their competence and knowledge, also. They are on the main drag here in my hometown, and they are the only ones who buy silver, as well. The magnets they used to test made the jewelry stick to it immediately, which is not the reaction you are looking for when testing silver. None of the findings on earrings, pendants, bracelets, none of them were silver, and some pieces would stick to the magnet no matter where you tried it. It really opened my eyes, but the whole process was interesting. They didn't even want to pay a dollar for the things because they said they would doubt that the stones were real either. Their words, not mine, and they certainly had nothing to gain by telling me that. IDK, am much more careful now - buyer beware.
YIKES..yeah they should not be sticking to the magnets. This is important. @Moderator_Danielle these are the things we are talking about. SLC is not being honest about its products. The product info we are given doesn't mean anything. Science doesn't lie. A necklace sold as 925 silver SHOULD NOT BE MAGNETIC
I understand, and I am glad to address any needed returns. I am also glad to share any item numbers with the quality manager for investigation.
1 x

User avatar
Margui
Posts: 417
Joined: 5 months ago

Re: Dear SLC Hosts-Shame on you

Post by Margui » 4 days ago

According to a gemologist that I saw on a YouTube video, if the sterling silver is attracted by a magnet, it doesn't mean it's fake. It have nickel. And ShopLC claimed that it's jewelry is nickel-free. A customer service agent told me that the pieces bought before 2012 are with nickel and the ones after that year are nickel-free.
4 x

Post Reply