Marva and her lighter

JewelryQueen

Re: Marva and her lighter

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

Blossom

Books are good for reference but I learned most of my herbal repertoire at my Grandmother's knee who learned it at her mother's knee. My Grandmother was 94 when she died and my Great Gramma was 98 so they must have known something. My Granny even grew quite a few of her own herbs for quality control. She used what worked most of the time, for most of the people with that particular ailment. I use reference books mostly for possible drug interactions.

My Great Grandmother was a twin and weighed 2 kilos (premie weight-about 4 1/2 lbs). Keep in mind she was born in 1875. They put her in the bun warming compartment of a wood burning stove and made mask from layers if fine cheesecloth to stay the effects of any smoke. She had trouble keeping milk down so her mother (see, goes back generations) made a cherry bark tea with ginger root and peppermint which stopped the colic. Her twin did not make it sadly, but she was even smaller.

They both said if you wait until you are sick it may be too late. Their recipe for long life: Plenty of excercise, fresh air, sunlight, FRESH food in variety, don't smoke, don't drink to excess, have a hobby that really interests you, be born with good genes, and stay away from doctors unless you have an immediate acute ailment. Like one that needs surgery.

Two questions. So when do I get to go to Hawaii? and That's your cat-o-nine tails?
3 x

Blossom

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
Blossom

Books are good for reference but I learned most of my herbal repertoire at my Grandmother's knee who learned it at her mother's knee. My Grandmother was 94 when she died and my Great Gramma was 98 so they must have known something. My Granny even grew quite a few of her own herbs for quality control. She used what worked most of the time, for most of the people with that particular ailment. I use reference books mostly for possible drug interactions.

My Great Grandmother was a twin and weighed 2 kilos (premie weight-about 4 1/2 lbs). Keep in mind she was born in 1875. They put her in the bun warming compartment of a wood burning stove and made mask from layers if fine cheesecloth to stay the effects of any smoke. She had trouble keeping milk down so her mother (see, goes back generations) made a cherry bark tea with ginger root and peppermint which stopped the colic. Her twin did not make it sadly, but she was even smaller.

They both said if you wait until you are sick it may be too late. Their recipe for long life: Plenty of excercise, fresh air, sunlight, FRESH food in variety, don't smoke, don't drink to excess, have a hobby that really interests you, be born with good genes, and stay away from doctors unless you have an immediate acute ailment. Like one that needs surgery.

Two questions. So when do I get to go to Hawaii? and That's your cat-o-nine tails?
You come from a long line of strong women but that doesn't surprise me! You're one strong lady yourself!

Just as soon as I figure out how to get myself to Hawaii, I'll hitch you & everyone else who wants to go onto my coat tails!
4 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

The doctors said they would be surprised if Great Grams lived to be 16. They were only off by 82 years!
3 x

Blossom

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
The doctors said they would be surprised if Great Grams lived to be 16. They were only off by 82 years!
Great Grams showed them!

All the ladies in your family were born before their time. In today's world they would have been second to no doctor!
3 x

Spooky

Post by Spooky » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
@Vicky

I am so sorry you had to go through all that. I too believe God has a purpose for me that I have yet to fulfill.

It also didn't hurt I went through pre-med. Admittedly that was almost 50 years ago but I don't know how the average person negotiates through the medical system sometimes when they don't even know what questions they should be asking.

A sense of humor also doesn't hurt. When I was having one of my worst radiation treatments, on Halloween Day no less, I wore a Porky Pig costume and had an apple in the mouth of my mask. The Doctor was not amused. When my long hair fell out and I had lost a bunch of weight I slapped on my new short wig, dug out a set of my scrubs, made a phony ID on a lanyard and boy did they have a hard time finding me at the hospital for my appointment even though I was standing right at the nurses desk. No one was amused (except me) by that one either.

And then there is just being stubborn and refusing to die. I think the will to live can be very strong medicine.
@JewelryQueen you remind me of my cousin and I
especially when we get together. I love your sense
of humor and I’d be right there with you in costume.
Too freaking bad the staff had no sense of humor.
Must be some very sad people
3 x

RoxiJade

Post by RoxiJade » 4 years ago

Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
I think Marva is getting carried away with the lighter. Not every gem has color change! Just STOP with the theatrics!
Good evening,Gemsnob! I was just wondering: If a person were to ask you why you shop at Shop LC, what would your answer be? So glad you didn't leave after all! :)
1 x