Burmese Ruby

Lulu

Burmese Ruby

Post by Lulu » 4 years ago

I have yet to hear a host talk about the transparancy or translucency of the stones. On my tv, they all look opaque. I can only surmise that if they were at least translucent, the host would shine a light so the viewer could see light coming through. At these prices transparancy is too much to hope for. But, an opaque ruby is worthless. May as well buy a fissure filled African ruby - at least they're translucent and a lot, lot cheaper.
3 x

Margui

Re: Burmese Ruby

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

Burmese Ruby is físsure filled. In other words composite stone.
3 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Margui wrote:
4 years ago
I was reading up on that. According to several sources only POOR QUALITY is FF.
3 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

RS wrote:
4 years ago
Margui wrote:
4 years ago
Yes. Before the industry have invented this treatment, those rubies were used for as industrial rubies, not as gemstones.
Last edited by Margui 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Margui wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago
Margui wrote:
4 years ago
Yes. Before the industry invented this treatment, those rubies were used for as industrial rubies, not as gemstones.
So then what they are selling here are poor quality.
1 x

Catticus

Post by Catticus » 4 years ago

Yes. That's why they can sell things at lower prices. Even though they still need to lower the prices on a lot of their "high end" items.
1 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

I wonder why they are constantly saying to get the things the sell appraised?
1 x

Catticus

I don't understand why. Unless they think by saying that, people won't bother to do so?

I read that in a review regarding this site. A person said they liked that SLC says to get your items appraised. So to that person, it made her feel safer in purchasing.

I've read reviews on appraisals and the ones that stated their jeweler wanted to buy their items and that they were worth FAR more than what they paid, etc., etc., all sounded FAKE. Almost as if they were written by the same person. ☹️
1 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Well, I haven’t gotten any of my stuff appraised because I hadn’t purchased anything expensive. Until the other day. Well wait...I know DH has a diamond and AA kunzite ring in one of the safes. I haven’t gotten it yet. Shhhhh....it’s a surprise.
So the tanzanite from the other day WILL get appraised and so will the other one. He bought it more than 30 days ago but oh well. If it’s not worth what they say back it goes.

You know, if I pay $100.00 for something I am not going to get it appraised. As long as it is well made and I like it that’s fine. But when I spend hundreds then thousands on something you bet I will.
Last edited by RS 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Catticus

On the other hand, some of those who had theirs appraised were told things like:

"It's not worth as much as you said they claimed it would normally sell for, but it is a nice stone, and you did get a good deal."

There were a lot of appraisals like that.
1 x