Post by RS » 4 years ago

Nope. No thanks.

All Grandidierite all the time?

Snooze-fest.
4 x

Catticus

Re: Another all day smackdown

Post by Catticus » 4 years ago

It's pretty, but is it, well...valuable?

Do you know? I like certain shades of green, but I've not heard of this stone.
1 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Catticus wrote:
4 years ago
It's pretty, but is it, well...valuable?

Do you know? I like certain shades of green, but I've not heard of this stone.
I’ve heard of this stone but more so since coming here to SLC. I am just not sure I am buying into the hype of it all. A few here have posted that what they sell here is not true gem quality. I have seen a couple of high end Grandidierite pieces here and they are quite nice. This quality of stone is kind of dull and muddy to me.
I am not here to buy things as an investment. If something I buy happens to increase in value or be worth more than I paid that’s awesome! But I am here to buy what I like or for gifts I know others will like.
Jewelry is only an investment if the value increases and also if it’s not worn. Wearing will produce wear and tear (naturally) which will of course decrease its value.

I also look at it like this. They aware saying that this is such a rare stone and highly valuable. But their offerings look like the low end quality of this stone.

Would you rather have a completely decked out, all the bells and whistles car? Or would you rather have a stripped down, manual, cloth seats, no bells and whistles high end luxury car.

Personally, I fall into the wanting the best of he best when appropriate category.
I just don’t think these stones look like best of the best.
3 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Of course, just a second ago my daughter texts me.

“mommmmmmmm....mommmmm....do you see what they are showing on SLC? (She’s just 21 and started looking here when I started buying less than a year ago)

I said, hmmmm...yes. She asked if I am going to buy any and I said I wasn’t planning on it. Well she loves it and she knows that I buy a lot of stuff...all the times (not just jewelry and not just from here).

So her not quite subtle hint is telling me she wants some. Girl cannot pay her bills half the time and she wants Grandidierite.

She reminded me when I said I want planning on buying any..”you didn’t plan on buying a Kirby when the salesman came to the door either!!! 🤣🤣

She’s got me there.
3 x

Blossom

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

I've purchased 2 Grandidierite rings from SLC & sent both back. They just weren't the shade I expected from seeing on website/live-tv (one was dark & the other one had stones that were not well matched.) I do think some of it is pretty but don't have to choose about watching smackdown today (for a while)..live in the mid US & persistent rain is preventing my satellite reception. Oh well!
2 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
I've purchased 2 Grandidierite rings from SLC & sent both back. They just weren't the shade I expected from seeing on website/live-tv (one was dark & the other one had stones that were not well matched.) I do think some of it is pretty but don't have to choose about watching smackdown today (for a while)..live in the mid US & persistent rain is preventing my satellite reception. Oh well!
Living in CA rarely does my satellite go out. I might be better off if it did!
5 x

Catticus

Post by Catticus » 4 years ago

THANK YOU! I AGREE!

I might be mixing this stone up in my mind with one that is more "mottled"? I'll have to look.

I buy what I LIKE, or if it's for gifts, what others like.

Here's my problem: I have bought SO much, mostly rings, that I had to buy sturdy HUGE thick duffel type bags - some type of vinyl and cloth, to put all of the boxes in!
😬

I truly don't remember everything I have!
🥴

I just know most were rings, NOT cheap, and ALL gorgeous. Oh, some were "fun" rings and inexpensive, but most were higher grade.

Not diamonds, just genuine gemstones that interested me, in Platinum over Silver. I do have many with 14K YG overlay in cetain areas of rings as a design, and a GORGEOUS "designer" ring in gold from (Shhhh) JTV.

I tried separating them, as in ring boxes in one duffle bag, bracelet boxes another bag, etc. But I was getting so exhausted that I finally allowed myself to mix them up!

And I'm not even finished! I have JTV items (real, not fake) in their boxes to put in these duffel bags too!
😩

I liked the idea of a bag strong enough to move (it has handles) yet cloth-like so the boxes don't get smashed, and bags that are sturdy and waterproof.

The bags hold A LOT but I learned not to fill them up TOO much, because I went to pick one up and it would not budge!

MANNNNNY of my pieces are to re-sell for fundraisers.

Not my major rings, though! 😝
Also, items such as the rings I'm speaking of would not sell at fund raisers. Especially due to so many size differences.

People want fun, or simple, not too expensive items for fundraisers. Like bolo bracelets, CZ gemstone bracelets, and some want Sterling Silver with genuine stones. But not PRECIOUS stones.

I need to sit down and go through every box and see each item, especially the RINGS!

Or the invoices, which I have saved. Actually both, because the invoice will tell me exactly what I'm looking at. Still, on these rings, I'll remember!

The fund raiser items are things like Sterling Silver small bands, necklaces, bracelets etc.

The rings? ARE MINNNNNNNNNE!

I could have a nicely priced collection, or I could have items worth far more than I thought (especially after hearing about your Rhapsody Ring)!

Or, I could have a lot of duffel bags filled with....
💩 😂 💩

I never looked at the AA, AAA, AAAA! I just assumed they were "over inflated" a bit, and "Fashion Jewelry."

Now I know from your ring, that is not always the case!
😮

So it's time for me to start a 'diggin!
🤠

Which is NOT easy. I may have to hire some help! 😱
2 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Wow Catticus! Kind of sounds like me.

I originally put everything in my jewelry armoire (it sits on the dresser, not free standing) and then got chests for my bead necklaces, separate boxes for different rings (that’s what I buy the most of too!)

Finally it just got to be too many items in too many different places. When my cleaning gals come I had to move all my jewelry out to my car and lock it in the garage! Crazy I know but my previous crew stole from me.

Finally my husband told me that I was working too hard. He went out and bought a tall freestanding vault safe and all my jewelry is kept there. We already have two of those in the garage so another was no big deal.

Problem now is, I have MORE ROOM!
2 x

What-a-gem

Post by What-a-gem » 4 years ago

Speaking of lotsa jewelry, I have so much too, but I also have a ton of little blue boxes. Anyone have any idea as to where I could donate them? I just hate the thought of just trashing them. I tried to donate them to the hospital gift shop, since they use bags for the costume jewelry that they sell. But they didn’t’t want them. So, any suggestions?
On another subject, I can’t stand 24 hrs of grandidierite...big yawn. I’ve posted before that I think it looks like beach glass.
Oh well, guess I’ll clean the house or closets...or not
4 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

What-a-gem wrote:
4 years ago
Speaking of lotsa jewelry, I have so much too, but I also have a ton of little blue boxes. Anyone have any idea as to where I could donate them? I just hate the thought of just trashing them. I tried to donate them to the hospital gift shop, since they use bags for the costume jewelry that they sell. But they didn’t’t want them. So, any suggestions?
On another subject, I can’t stand 24 hrs of grandidierite...big yawn. I’ve posted before that I think it looks like beach glass.
Oh well, guess I’ll clean the house or closets...or not
If you’re on FB you could post them on FB marketplace. Just list them for free. Perhaps someone who makes jewelry would love to have them. I know if I still made jewelry I would!

And actually I like beach glass. Will I pay a premium for beach glass? No. But the lower prices perhaps. My daughter wants some. I am eyeballing a couple of pieces for her. It is her favorite color. Her wedding colors and flowers were that color. Do flowers come in that color?....NO! They were all individually air brushed.
And now she has that color a lot in her house. Her small kitchen appliances and accents are that soft blue green too.
2 x