If we’re calling red corundum a red sapphire

TN

If we’re calling red corundum a red sapphire

Post by TN » 2 years ago

Then I’m going to call blue corundum a blue ruby.

(get it? Why do the hosts call rubies red sapphires?)
7 x

Amy

Re: If we’re calling red corundum a red sapphire

Post by Amy » 2 years ago

It’s a mass of confusion !!! No surprise here. I just change the channel.
4 x

TN

Post by TN » 2 years ago

Amy wrote:
2 years ago
It’s a mass of confusion !!! No surprise here. I just change the channel.
I too change the channel after going, “ARRRRGH it’s a Ruby!!!” :lol:
3 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 2 years ago

I noticed that too and I remember one of the host a while back saying there is no such thing as red sapphire, if it is red then it is ruby but yet this is what they are doing. I wonder if it is the fissure filled ruby they are claiming is red sapphire.
5 x

Izzie

Post by Izzie » 2 years ago

Hi all,
Blue Sapphire and Ruby are both Corundum. Red Sapphire and Ruby are both Corundum. Not all red Corundum is Ruby. The difference has to do with the SHADE of the Red Corundum. I believe that the Red Corundum that is called Ruby must have blue undertones. Indeed, the most gorgeous Rubies that I have seen are raspberry colored. If not that shade, the color must lean toward the blue red, not the orange red. I have Red Sapphire accent stones in a ring and they are definately not the raspberry, deep pink toned red that is called Ruby.
4 x

TN

Post by TN » 2 years ago

Izzie wrote:
2 years ago
Hi all,
Blue Sapphire and Ruby are both Corundum. Red Sapphire and Ruby are both Corundum. Not all red Corundum is Ruby. The difference has to do with the SHADE of the Red Corundum. I believe that the Red Corundum that is called Ruby must have blue undertones. Indeed, the most gorgeous Rubies that I have seen are raspberry colored. If not that shade, the color must lean toward the blue red, not the orange red. I have Red Sapphire accent stones in a ring and they are definately not the raspberry, deep pink toned red that is called Ruby.
From the GIA:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Lulu

Post by Lulu » 2 years ago

Every red sapphire I've seen has had an orange undertone. Too red to be called orange and too orange to be called ruby.

Then we have Mandarin garnet. It should be the color of Fanta orange soda. But, some will call any shade of spessartite Mandarin.
3 x

silleemee

Post by silleemee » 2 years ago

Gem labs use what's called 'master stones' to compare to and determine whether or not a red corundum stone is a ruby or something else, for instance a red, orange or pink sapphire.
2 x