Tanzanite

Motsey

Re: Tanzanite

Post by Motsey » 4 years ago

Dear Lord, another $10,000 Tanzanite ring on under $10.00 Tuesday. Guess it will be a little higher. I am sick of Tanzanite.
3 x

2Blonde

Post by 2Blonde » 4 years ago

I looked at that "AAAA" ring, and to my eye it is more of a AAA. Funny how their grading changes with the wind. I remember in the good old days, there were international gem shows that came to Cleveland twice a year. Going to those was the biggest "high" a gem lover like me could have. It had some affordable jewelry, but there was stuff there that showed me what the best of the best really looks like. I mean, 8-10 carat Columbian emeralds in bright green, and 8-10 carat tanzanites that had so much deep color with red flashes. OMG, I wish they still had those shows just so I could drool again, because I know the collectors still have those gems (but at astronomical prices no doubt).
2 x

SueB

Post by SueB » 4 years ago

Catticus wrote:
4 years ago
D-Flawless wrote:
4 years ago
About ten years ago I had a 10 carat 4A museum quality Tanzanite ring custom made. It is surrounded by 2.5 carats of d-flawless Diamonds and set in 18k white gold. I have several custom made rings but my Tanzy is my favorite by far! I’m sooooo happy I got it when I did because I’ve never seen anything that even comes close to the quality and color and pleochroism that my ring exudes! It’s true that the best quality Tanzanite was mined first! The pale stuff out now isn’t even worthy of being called Tanzanite!!
They should call this light colored "Tanzanite" something else.

Perhaps: "Tanzanot."
They do it’s called Tanzawhite! Been in love w/ that stone since I first laid eyes on it and long before I started collecting!! Hubby got me a bypass trillion cut for Xmas and you want to talk about 🔥 and my dumb butt got rid of it because we divorced and I didn’t want to look at it! Ugh
1 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

2Blonde wrote:
4 years ago
I looked at that "AAAA" ring, and to my eye it is more of a AAA. Funny how their grading changes with the wind. I remember in the good old days, there were international gem shows that came to Cleveland twice a year. Going to those was the biggest "high" a gem lover like me could have. It had some affordable jewelry, but there was stuff there that showed me what the best of the best really looks like. I mean, 8-10 carat Columbian emeralds in bright green, and 8-10 carat tanzanites that had so much deep color with red flashes. OMG, I wish they still had those shows just so I could drool again, because I know the collectors still have those gems (but at astronomical prices no doubt).
Columbian emeralds? You probably mean C-o-l-o-m-b-i-a-n emeralds. Many English speakers confuses both words. The country's name is COLOMBIA, the nationality COLOMBIAN with a place named Columbia, which is not the same. Sorry for the caps.
Last edited by Margui 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

About tanzanite is not the quality of yesteryear. Their AAA is AA in 2009, for example. I think I have to pay thousands of dollars for a tanzanite with red flashes.
0 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

I believe the grading system changed for Tanzanite several years ago. Not just Shoplc but from the mines. They were no longer using 4A because it wasnt coming out of the mine so things that were previously 2A were then 3A. I bet there are articles on the GIA website if you can go back several years.
1 x