Welo opals changed color

Tothemoon

Welo opals changed color

Post by Tothemoon » 4 years ago

Fortunately I have purchased only a few pieces of Welo opal. Almost every one has turned into an ugly urine colored yellow. I keep them in lined jewelry boxes and have barely worn them. I have checked many websites to see if there is a way to remove the yellow. Many sites say that Welo opal has a tendency to absorb oils and lotions and in most cases there is nothing you can do about it. I have considered soaking them in kool aid so that maybe I can at least wear a dyed opal since I won’t wear them as they ugly brownish yellow color that they have become. Does anyone have any tips for removing the discolorization?
1 x

Margui

Re: Welo opals changed color

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

That's weird! Perhaps you used creams and perfumes after you put your opals. Jewelry is last thing you put on and the first thing to take off. Consult a jeweler regarding your issue.
0 x

SueB

Post by SueB » 4 years ago

Wow mine have done that too!!?? Don’t know what’s up w/ that but.. I’ve since put mine in the lil bags w/ zipper lock, also I have a good tarnish preventing box so????? And I do know not to put them in... or get anything on them!! So I too am wondering?! Every darn piece I had did this & had to replace. You can get them polished as w/ fire opal but idk if would help I WISH THE LC WOULD TELL US HOW TO PREVENT
0 x

letsshop

Post by letsshop » 4 years ago

Same here!
1 x

Moderator_Preston
Answers: 1

Post by Moderator_Preston » 4 years ago

Tothemoon wrote:
4 years ago
Fortunately I have purchased only a few pieces of Welo opal. Almost every one has turned into an ugly urine colored yellow. I keep them in lined jewelry boxes and have barely worn them. I have checked many websites to see if there is a way to remove the yellow. Many sites say that Welo opal has a tendency to absorb oils and lotions and in most cases there is nothing you can do about it. I have considered soaking them in kool aid so that maybe I can at least wear a dyed opal since I won’t wear them as they ugly brownish yellow color that they have become. Does anyone have any tips for removing the discolorization?
Good Morning,

Thank you so much for your message. We deeply apologize that some of the Welo opals in your items turned yellow. In this case, you can see about getting your items replaced if they are within the 30 day return policy. You can contact customer service to arrange this via chat at www.shoplc.com, via email at customerservice@shoplc.com, and via the phone at 877-899-0078. A jeweler can also recut your stone to remove the discoloration. To prevent this in future, we recommend avoiding liquids (including water), exposure to extreme temperatures, liquid chemicals, ultrasonic cleaners/steamers, and manual labor with Welo opal items. If you need any further assistance, please contact customer service through the methods previously provided. Thank you so much for being a part of the Shop LC family!
0 x

SueB

Post by SueB » 4 years ago

I’ve Items sat in box never worn that did this?!?!
3 x

Bella

Re: Pink opals changed color

Post by Bella » 4 years ago

I had some of my Peruvian Pink opals change color on a bracelet to a weird yellow color. Can’t figure out why some on the bracelet did and others did not.
2 x

Tothemoon

Re: Pink opals changed color

Post by Tothemoon » 4 years ago

Bella wrote:
4 years ago
I had some of my Peruvian Pink opals change color on a bracelet to a weird yellow color. Can’t figure out why some on the bracelet did and others did not.
Luckily my Peruvian pinks haven’t changed color but now I’ll keep a better eye on them.
1 x

Eve
Answers: 1

Post by Eve » 4 years ago

I believe some gemstones are sensitive to light exposure , rose quartz is one of them . It gets white with light and heat . Can not turn back if that happens. Try and store in the dark and don't get exposed to to much heat , sunlight and water.
1 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

I found this discussion online about opals turning yellow, I just noticed one of mine had also turned yellow, this is what I saw on the subject and I hope it is not the case with Shop Lc because I have many of them: They tend to turn yellow when exposed to moisture. Perhaps the plastic bag created some sort of environment. Another thought would be that it could have been strengthened with resin and that resin has since discolored. Leave it in open air for a bit, maybe under a warm desk lamp or some gentle sun and see if the discoloration goes away.

level 1
coppergato
5 points
·
2 months ago
I've had opals do this, too. They've been impregnated with a stabilizing resin, and the resin has yellowed.

level 2
llampacas
3 points
·
2 months ago
Well that's a bummer. Guess that supplier is dead to me. Thanks for the info.
1 x