Dragonfly

Re: Jewelry appraisals

Post by Dragonfly » 4 years ago

The appraisal was only $65.00 or $85.00--Sorry I didn't read carefully enough
6 x

wolfgirl

Post by wolfgirl » 4 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the information! I was afraid that the appraisal would probably be around $75-100. I may just try to sell the rings for what I paid so I don't lose any money. I haven't been a smart shopper recently and it is hitting my pocketbook hard now. My house insurance and property taxes cleaned me out (and I know that they are due in December so no one's fault but mine). I bought the 2 welo opal rings at the first of October so missed the extended return. I ended up buying the same 2 rings on the auction site and wanted to keep the other 2 in case something was wrong with the ones from the auction, but they were fine. But, due to slow shipping, I missed the 30 day return for the original 2. So, now I have 2 of each ring. I gave one to my mother for Christmas but she promptly gave it back and told me to get my money back (didn't tell her I couldn't do that). They are pretty rings! And I have learned a valuable lesson :roll: Wolfgirl
3 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

I know this sounds like dirty pool but one way to get a verbal appraisal is to take your piece to the jeweler and say you think some of the prongs are loose. If some really are loose it'll cost you about $15 and your jewelry is improved. If nothing is wrong it does not cost you anything. Casually mention that you really like this ring (or whatever) and would like to buy one like it for Mom, Sis or whoever. Could he find one like it and about how much would it cost? That should give you a close ballpark of the value, but beware as this will only work once on the same jeweler.

Fortunately I have had good friend of 30 years who is a jeweler so I don't have to resort to such tactics.

The best plan of action is to buy a loupe and do your research BEFORE you buy.

I wish you the best of luck.
5 x

Blossom

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
I know this sounds like dirty pool but one way to get a verbal appraisal is to take your piece to the jeweler and say you think some of the prongs are loose. If some really are loose it'll cost you about $15 and your jewelry is improved. If nothing is wrong it does not cost you anything. Casually mention that you really like this ring (or whatever) and would like to buy one like it for Mom, Sis or whoever. Could he find one like it and about how much would it cost? That should give you a close ballpark of the value, but beware as this will only work once on the same jeweler.

Fortunately I have had good friend of 30 years who is a jeweler so I don't have to resort to such tactics.

The best plan of action is to buy a loupe and do your research BEFORE you buy.

I wish you the best of luck.
That's good to know (sneaky..I mean smart) info JewelryQueen! I like it!

I need more stories please!
4 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 4 years ago

I once took about 10 pieces to a jeweler and asked how much to get them appraised? They told me that if I were patient they would be happy to appraise them if I could wait three weeks or so. They also gave me a price which was very inexpensive - maybe $5 per piece? I think they also wanted me as a customer too - which worked b/c I bought a watch that day too. :P
5 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

Wolfgirl, if you items take a long time to ship that has nothing to do with the return time, your 30 days starts at the time the item is delivered to you so what I do is go into my orders and find the item, then click on the tracking number and that will show you the day it was delivered and you have 30 days to return after the delivery date not the purchase date.
3 x

Angelflutter

Post by Angelflutter » 4 years ago

The jewelry stores where I live charge $50.00 per item to be appraised. Sad, cuz I have a lot of stuff that I would love to have appraised. Not necessarily for insurance purposes..... more my curiosity purposes. :o
3 x

Catticus

Post by Catticus » 4 years ago

WOW! I could not afford that with all the things I'd like to have appraised!

Why, $50.00 could buy me...another piece of jewelry!
😂

Seriously though, that's too expensive for me. I can see if I somehow acquired The Hope Diamond, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

So I'll appraise them myself!

This one is my favorite - I'll appraise it at the highest amount...As in NO SALE.
This one is so beautiful- I'll appraise it at what I paid, plus how unique it is.
This one was a gift, so I'll appraise it very high AND term it IRREPLACEABLE...

And so on!
😝
5 x

Angelflutter

Post by Angelflutter » 4 years ago

Catticus wrote:
4 years ago
WOW! I could not afford that with all the things I'd like to have appraised!

Why, $50.00 could buy me...another piece of jewelry!
😂

Seriously though, that's too expensive for me. I can see if I somehow acquired The Hope Diamond, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

So I'll appraise them myself!

This one is my favorite - I'll appraise it at the highest amount...As in NO SALE.
This one is so beautiful- I'll appraise it at what I paid, plus how unique it is.
This one was a gift, so I'll appraise it very high AND term it IRREPLACEABLE...

And so on!
😝
;) :lol: ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

One of the jewelry stores were I live told me $250.00 per item I told them no, lol.
2 x